Bochs-drm should be removed from /etc/mkinitcpio.conf?

I found the topic below when looking to see if a problem/solution had been reported.

When installing and customizing the latest ISO, manjaro-xfce-21.3.0-220617-linux515.iso, in a Qemu virtual machine, I got an error, "module not found: ‘bochs_drm’.

The quick fix was to remove bochs_drm from mkinitcpio.conf.

But the topic, presented the question, should bochs_drm be removed.

Or, Manjaro should install the module, right now it’s half-complete and causes a failure.

Reinstalling upd72020x-fw (20200826-3)...                                                                          
Running post-transaction hooks...
Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...                                                                                     
Updating linux initcpios...                                                                                        
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux515.preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.15-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64.img
==> Starting build: 5.15.48-1-MANJARO
ERROR: module not found: `bochs_drm'
WARNINGS: errors were encountered during the build. The image may not be complete.

Topic: Module bochs_drm missing: minimal ISO Gnome (probably in all others too)

1 Like

The modules line in mkinicpio.conf is default empty and messages during init generation can be ignored.

If you need specific modules you put them there yourself.

This is something you are doing on a per system basis and doing so you can make the initrd image specificy to the purpose.

That’s interesting, because I didn’t make any changes to mkinitcpio.conf, and yet the modules line was not empty after the install.

I just booted the Live ISO and looked mkinitcpio.conf and the MODULES line is:

MODULES=(qxl bochs_drm virtio-gpu virtio virtio_scsi virtio_blk virtio_pci virtio_net virtio_ring)

During the install there is a post installation script that runs that sets the MODULES (snippet below).

Take a look at the original Topic.

post_install()
{
	if [[ "$(systemd-detect-virt)" == "oracle" ]]; then
		# Virtualbox detected

if [[ ! -d /run/openrc ]]; then
			# Load kernel modules and sync clock
			systemctl enable --now --no-block vboxservice.service
			systemctl enable --now --no-block vboxclient.service
		fi
		# We have to make /dev/vboxuser read-write, otherwise VBoxClient won't be able to connect. This is not done automatically until the next reboot.
		chmod 666 /dev/vboxuser
	else

if [[ "$(systemd-detect-virt)" == "vmware" ]]; then
			# Vmware detected

if [[ ! -d /run/openrc ]]; then
				systemctl enable --now --no-block vmtoolsd.service
			fi
		else
			# Not virtualbox or vmware. Start spice-vdagentd.socket to auto detect if spice is in use. Otherwise, do nothing.
			systemctl enable --now --no-block spice-vdagentd.socket
			systemctl enable --now --no-block qemu-guest-agent.service
			sed -i 's/MODULES=.*/MODULES=(qxl bochs_drm virtio-gpu virtio virtio_scsi virtio_blk virtio_pci virtio_net virtio_ring)/g' /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
			mkinitcpio -P
		fi
	fi
	gdm_disable_wayland
	mhwd-gpu --check
}

I’ll create an mhwd-db issue to follow-up.

Ahh - yes that is mhwd doing it’s stuff :slight_smile: - trying to tweak the install to the environment.

And mhwd is the place to report the missing bochs package.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.