Blurry Qt and Electron apps when I use fractional scaling

Hello there, I use a 125% scaling factor for better readability on a 1440p screen, which works fine with GTK-Apps. But Qt and Electron based applications (Such as VS Code) look like they are just being upscaled by that factor, which is very annoying to work with.

https://paste.pics/9875c39c626b40abfbd3aea923e59b35

On the left of this screenshot you can see the calculator which is displayed sharply and on the right a QT-App (QGIS) as an example with washed out icons and text.

This also happens with Firefox, but I can fix it with a workaround I found in the internet, which brings other disadvantages though.

I am running Manjaro Gnome on its latest version with AMD Radeon vega 8 graphics.

Anyone knows why this is happening and how I can fix that? Thanks!

I think you issue has - possibly - several causes - I can only make guesses on this.

First thing - many Qt-based applications needs a special configuration when the core application is initialized to be able to correctly respond to fractional scaling.

I have a hobby project based on Python and PyQt (dormant for the time being) and I had this scaling issue - but I eventually found this initializing sequence.

I suspect that some applications has not yet reached the level of complaint that justifying the rewrite it takes.

Second thing - I vaguely recall a forum conversation on Gnome and Qt which involves a gnome specific Qt component - please try searching both but also the archived.forum.manjaro.org.

It has been a few months but I had no time to deal with that lately. This does not happen with some of those applications, it happens with every single Qt and Electron based application I have installed. I have been looking here for solutions, but
export QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=1
doesn’t work and the solution for Electron based applications requires to set up a configuration for every application individually, which is too much effort to me.

I don’t think that this is supposed to happen on a full-updated system, so I guess anything is wrong with my configuration. I just can’t figure out what.

Update: Tried a few things but I think Wayland is just not ready to be used with fractional scaling for many applications yet. I switched back to Xorg and found a nice package to do what I was looking for: https://github.com/puxplaying/mutter-x11-scaling
Works pretty good except for a couple of applications where I had to set up things like icon size by myself.