Bluetooth stopped working after I installed xpad neo

The build up to the issue
Just like the title says, my bluetooth stopped functioning properly after I installed xpad neo. I installed it so I could connect my Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller along with my Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones. In the first few minutes of them both being connected, my headphones started to wig out. It would cut in and out of audio, and when I launched a game to test out my xbox controller that wouldnt work either. After turning the xbox controller off in hopes that it may work when I turn it back on again, my headphones disconnected from bluetooth and I havent been able to get them connecting since.

What I’ve tried

• rfkill unblock all
  • Rebooting
  • Reinstalling Bluez packages in pamac
  • Downloading the firmware of my wifi/bluetooth card and putting it into /lib/firmware
  • Switching to a different Kernel
  • Stopping and starting bluetooth.service
  • Uninstalling xpad neo along with DKMS (one of it’s dependancies)

Where I’m at now

I try and do bluetoothctl scan on and the error I get is the following

“Failed to start discovery: org.bluez.Error.InProgress”

Please not that I get this error even after I disable bluetooth.service and go into bluetoothctl. Which is weird, since that shouldn’t be happening.

Here is what systemctl status bluetooth returns.

● bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: active (running) since Sat 2020-08-22 19:04:17 BST; 36s ago
Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)
Main PID: 7767 (bluetoothd)
Tasks: 1 (limit: 19134)
Memory: 1.3M
CGroup: /system.slice/bluetooth.service
└─7767 /usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd

Aug 22 19:04:17 ebrahim-ms7a40 bluetoothd[7767]: avrcp-controller: Protocol not supported (93)
Aug 22 19:04:17 ebrahim-ms7a40 bluetoothd[7767]: setsockopt(L2CAP_OPTIONS): Invalid argument (22)
Aug 22 19:04:17 ebrahim-ms7a40 bluetoothd[7767]: audio-avrcp-target: Protocol not supported (93)
Aug 22 19:04:17 ebrahim-ms7a40 bluetoothd[7767]: L2CAP server failed for Message Notification: setsockopt(L2CAP_OPTIONS): Invalid argument (22)
Aug 22 19:04:17 ebrahim-ms7a40 bluetoothd[7767]: L2CAP server failed for Message Access: setsockopt(L2CAP_OPTIONS): Invalid argument (22)
Aug 22 19:04:17 ebrahim-ms7a40 bluetoothd[7767]: L2CAP server failed for Phone Book Access: setsockopt(L2CAP_OPTIONS): Invalid argument (22)
Aug 22 19:04:17 ebrahim-ms7a40 bluetoothd[7767]: L2CAP server failed for File Transfer: setsockopt(L2CAP_OPTIONS): Invalid argument (22)
Aug 22 19:04:17 ebrahim-ms7a40 bluetoothd[7767]: L2CAP server failed for Object Push: setsockopt(L2CAP_OPTIONS): Invalid argument (22)
Aug 22 19:04:17 ebrahim-ms7a40 bluetoothd[7767]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.85 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSink/sbc
Aug 22 19:04:17 ebrahim-ms7a40 bluetoothd[7767]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.85 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSource/sbc

Hello DGauze,
You already did pretty much everything that I would suggest. :man_shrugging:

You can look into

• installing bluez-utils if you haven’t already
  • check whether the kernel module is loaded: lsmod | grep bt, the module is usually btusb, however for me it is btsdio
  • check if the systemd service is running systemctl status bluetooth.service

best Regards, Julius

I already did systemctl status bluetooth.service in the post and it says it’s running. I also see btusb when I do the lsmod command you listed. Still issues on my end

Alright, so I got it working.

For anyone who comes across this thread, here’s what happened: In the process of installing Xpad Neo either I or the Xpad (probably me to be honest) somehow completely fucked the driver for bluetooth.

I had to go back into windows and reinstall the bluetooth driver from there. I both did it in the control panel and downloaded the drivers off the intel website (just to be sure I guess). I popped back into Linux and the second I typed in bluetoothctl my devices showed up. Hallelujah.

There’s probably a way of doing this in Linux, but I’m still new to all this so I was at a loss. Hopefully those of you who don’t have a windows dual-boot can figure it out in Linux. Thank you so much everyone!

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.