Bluetooth LE Logitech MX Master 2 does not show up in scan

Hi,

I am using a Logitech MX Master 2, which uses Bluetooth LE and can therefore not be discovered when scanning with bluetoothctl. I already found the corresponding Wiki Article here:

and a fix for this issue here:

However, this fix is not working for me or I am doing something very wrong (probably the latter). It tells me to install bluez-utils-compat from the AUR, which I did, and then, during a bluetoothctl scan to do this in another terminal:

hcitool lescan

Which… works, my MX Master shows up, as you can see here:

It then tells me to Ctrl+C, which I did, and bluetoothctl should then be able to see my device, which is not the case though. I tried this several times now but I just cannot pair my mouse.

As you can probably tell, I am a complete pleb (been using Linux for 3 days now) who has no idea what he’s doing, so please keep that in mind if you have a solution. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi there!

From the Bluetooth Arch Wiki document under the section Device does not show up in Scan

Did you run bluetoothctl and hcitool lescan as superuser? If not, try adding sudo at the beginning of both commands:

sudo bluetoothctl
sudo hcitool lescan

I would restart bluetooth.service before trying the above:
sudo systemctl restart bluetooth.service

The reason for this is that the Wiki shows the prompt as a pound (#) character which suggests the commands need elevation. See if that makes a difference.

2 Likes

This pwr-Solaar/Solaar: Linux device manager for Logitech devices (github.com)

2 Likes

Thanks for your replies!

@FadeMind I do have Solaar installed already, which is working great when I connect the mouse with the USB Unifier. But that doesn’t help when I can’t even discover or even pair the mouse, right?

@El_Brujo Yes, I did try everything with sudo already. Not working.

I’m sure I’m doing some stupid mistake though, since I’m not really an “experienced” Terminal user. Here is what I did:

• Restart bluetooth.service as superuser (I can see that it works by the menu bar icons refreshing)

• bluetoothctl as superuser, then power on and then scan on. Now there’s a lot going on, but no MX Master.

• Run sudo hcitool lescan in a new Terminal window, the MX Master instantly appears, I ^C in that window and head back to the other one where the scan is still running - is this the moment where the MX Master is supposed to appear in the bluetoothctl scan as well?? I did try to turn the scan off and on at first, but no difference.

I will probably end up buying a second Unifier (my current one is reserved for my main machine) since that provides better less lag anyway… But it still frustrates me a bit that I’m literally not able to connect my mouse via bluetooth, I want to know how the fix works at least…

1 Like