Bluetooth headphones have strange chirp

I have some strange sounds like chirp stopping and starting the audio again, several times a second

I have LG-GRAM 17 with kernel 6.9.2-1 and Gnome

bluetoothctl
Agent registeredct to bluetoothd...[bluetooth]#         WH-1000XM5
status bluetooth

● bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; enabled; preset: disabled)
     Active: active (running) since Wed 2024-06-05 19:39:32 EEST; 29min ago
       Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)
   Main PID: 1249 (bluetoothd)
      Tasks: 1 (limit: 38135)
     Memory: 2.9M (peak: 3.9M)
        CPU: 93ms
     CGroup: /system.slice/bluetooth.service
             └─1249 /usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd

Jun 05 19:39:33 radu-gram bluetoothd[1249]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.40 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSource/sbc
Jun 05 19:39:33 radu-gram bluetoothd[1249]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.40 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSink/sbc_xq_453
Jun 05 19:39:33 radu-gram bluetoothd[1249]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.40 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSource/sbc_xq_453
Jun 05 19:39:33 radu-gram bluetoothd[1249]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.40 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSink/sbc_xq_512
Jun 05 19:39:33 radu-gram bluetoothd[1249]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.40 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSource/sbc_xq_512
Jun 05 19:39:33 radu-gram bluetoothd[1249]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.40 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSink/sbc_xq_552
Jun 05 19:39:33 radu-gram bluetoothd[1249]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.40 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSource/sbc_xq_552
Jun 05 19:39:33 radu-gram bluetoothd[1249]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.40 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSink/faststream
Jun 05 19:39:33 radu-gram bluetoothd[1249]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.40 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSource/faststream
Jun 05 19:42:49 radu-gram bluetoothd[1249]: /org/bluez/hci0/dev_AC_80_0A_F2_CF_FB/sep3/fd0: fd(33) ready

What kind of headphones are they?

Are they AirPods?

Since the AirPods Pro 2 case has Find My integration, it can technically be used like an AirTag to locate (or unfortunately stalk) someone. If the case is placed in a person’s bag, jacket, or car, you can track their location on your Find My app.

Following several reported cases of AirTag stalking, Apple introduced an anti-stalking feature that causes an unidentified AirTag to start beeping if it seems to be following you. This only happens when the AirTag loses Bluetooth connection to the paired iPhone, and is in the vicinity of another iPhone. Apple appears to have implemented the same feature for the AirPods Pro 2.

As Reddit user the_cheg discovered, the AirPods Pro 2 make a chirping sound if your iPhone’s Bluetooth has been switched off for a while. Apple’s support page says, “An AirTag, AirPods Pro (2nd generation) charging case or Find My network accessory that isn’t with its owner for a period of time will emit a sound when it’s moved.” This means that if your iPhone’s Bluetooth is off and your AirPods aren’t connected to it, the anti-stalking alert might kick in when you try to move them.

source: Here's Why Your AirPods Make A Chirping Sound

1 Like

no, WH-1000XM5 | Căști wireless cu anulare digitală a zgomotului | Sony Romania

It could be the sound server then. Check the wiki for PulseAudio or Pipewire depending on your setup. Here is also bluetooth, you could be missing a dependency or just might need a custom config

tried with both, seems the problem persists, now when I install pipewire I got no sound, so had to stick to pulseaudio at least for now

I’m thinking maybe the Bluetooth driver could be problematic

It could be the driver, still let me ask you. How did you install pipewire? were you using media-session or wireplumber?
In my experience pipewire + wireplumber provided me everything that I need to connect my bluetooth earphones. I also use wireless headset but its connected under a different protocol and they all work amazingly great. Combined with easyeffects for best sound

I used it with wireplumber

Xorio42, consider following this guidelines. You are sharing too little information and all I can do at this point is guess.

Also in tutorials section I found this. Dunno if its going to be of help, I thought I would let you know

1 Like

I found this article:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SonyHeadphones/comments/1493y6h/sony_wh1000xm5_high_pitch_noise_in_right_earbud/

Another article:

thank you, I’ll give it a try