Blackscreen because of plymouth?

this is from my non working (i.e. “black screen”) config:

http://0x0.st/H5CI.txt

now starting to work through the troubleshooting steps above, any help appreciated.

Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 620 vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel arch: Gen-9.5 ports:
    active: eDP-1 empty: DP-1,HDMI-A-1,HDMI-A-2 bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:5917 class-ID: 0300
HOOKS="base udev autodetect modconf block keyboard keymap consolefont plymouth encrypt filesystems fsck"

The only change you need is to add kms to the HOOKS array of mkinitpio.conf

Issue resolved. After further investigation it turned out I did not suffer from what’s been referred to as “black screen” herein. In fact my system was starting up without issues, I was always greeted by the CLI, but the DE wouldn’t start.

Turned out that the system upgrade I attempted had broken and/or removed my GNOME installation, including GDM. I don’t remember being informed about, nor agreeing to removal of the DE when running the upgrade via pacman from the CLI, but I did also not dig any deeper after root causing the issue, so still possible that user error was involved in the upgrade process.

However, following the DE installation instructions for Gnome on Install Desktop Environments - Manjaro got me back up and running.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.