Black screen with mouse pointer after login after screen lock, again

You may wanna look at my solution for it.

1 Like

EDIT: THINGS ARE BAD

I uninstalled lxdm hoping to fix what was broken. And now everything that was broken is still broken, and on top of that my computer boots straight into the terminal. I had to access the internet on my laptop to find out how to even get to my DE from there (which fortunately is super simple, itā€™s ā€œstartxā€ if anyone wonders).

Can anyone please tell me how to revert what lxdm did, or at the very least restore my computerā€™s ability to lock the screen? Most importantly, how to do so without breaking anything further?

These were the lines that broke my login and my screen lock capabilities:

sudo pacman -S lxdm
sudo systemctl enable lxdm.service --force

Drat. Sorry about that. I described a fix that worked for me, but which obviously didnā€™t work on your system. Getting back to the default marriage of XFCE and lightdm / light-locker should be easy. I would just disable any suspend / sleep / lock in the power settings, then reinstall / force lightdm, then redo your preferred power scheme. Iā€™m using only one setting: shut off display after one hour. Also, not that itā€™s necessarily related, but Iā€™m back on 5.15.145-1-MANJARO.
FWIW, youā€™re doing exactly what I have been doing since I first migrated to this distro from Crux Linux three years ago: poking around on the boards whenever something breaks. ā€¦pretty much all you can do. I love using Linux, but Iā€™ve learned to live with the fact that to one degree or another, itā€™s a time bomb. In case it helps the specā€™s for my system are here: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/BFZZxr

Yeah, I didnā€™t think there was anything malicious to it, sometimes something works for someone and not for another.

I have lightdm installed, is the line to force it the same as lxdmā€™s except with lightdm?

Iā€™m thankful that Linux exists, itā€™s the last usable OS. But every few months, even with Manjaro delaying releases in case there are issues, and even with me waiting an extra week for the issues that get byā€¦ some still get through the cracks, and trying to fix them is long, stressful, irritating, and as likely to break something else as it is to help. Iā€™m just a normal person, not a tech expert. But I guess itā€™s the price I have to pay for having a computer.

EDIT: to fix the lxdm thing, I just had to reenable lightdm using

systemctl enable lightdm

Thatā€™s it.

However the black screen problem is back, and this time it happened without a Suspend (I literally locked the screen moved my mouse a couple seconds later, entered my password, and got the black screen). Iā€™ll have to find a fix for that somewhere.

A post was split to a new topic: Black screen - only pointer is visible