Black screen with cursor after login

When I first time reboot manjaro KDE after last update, the black screen appears when I logged in.
Wallpaper appears for a second and disappears.
My gpu Intel/ Radeon

I switch to tty 2 and ran ‘startx’
‘’’
(==) Log file: …path/to/log/file…
(==) using config directory: “/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d”
(==) using system config directory “/usr/share/X11/forgot.conf.d”
waiting for X server to shut down (II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.ng kms color map for depth 24, 8 bpc.
Couldn’t exec startkde: no such file or d
‘’’
In logs last information:
‘Failed to open protocol names file lib/xorg/protocol.txt’

Lock screen works as expected and shows after some period of inactvity.

I try to run in on kernel 5.8 and 5.4 but it fails in both cases.

Tried to run ‘kstart5 plasmashell’ and got:
‘’’
qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display

qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.

This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: wayland-org.kde.kwin.qpa, eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, xcb.
‘’’

Could you help me solve this problem?

1 Like

That seems odd.

This isnt right … isnt it startplasma-x11 now ?

Which probably means you should check your ~/.xinitrc file … but also … how old is your install, and when did you last update? This change happened some time in 2019…

1 Like

Yes, this is it. Edit your ~/.xinitrc replacing startkde with startplasma-x11, then startx should run fine.
Everyone who has Manjaro Plasma for a long time should check their ~/.xinitrc for a correct command starting Plasma. It should be startplasma-x11, not startkde. Or better simply do cp /etc/skel/.xinitrc ~/.xinitrc.

Also my recent research on “black screen with mouse cursor” ended up with a conclusion that it may be caused by Night Color fail to detect user’s location, so it should be set to custom location to speed up loading of Plasma desktop.

2 Likes

Some logs after start system:
$journalctl -b -xep 0…4
https://dpaste.com/AL3W2AXF9

I installed Manjaro at the end of 2019

I updated it recently.

A was using chrome with lots tabs and system suddenly froze. After reboot problems started.

It’s misspelling: should be “xorg” instead of “forgot” :smiley:

I changed, then run ‘startx’:
Wallpaper shows, but when next components are loading, then black screen appears with cursor.

the issue was caused by Event Calendar and removing it solves the problem.
$ rm -rf ~/.local/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.eventcalendar

2 Likes

Many thx, i was just about to do a fresh re-install of the OS (I did not know what else to do). So glad i was pointed in this direction. How long is event calendar going to be borked for i wonder as i use it all the time.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.