Black screen after switching gpu

Hello, after changing my gpu from rx 580 to rx 7800 xt i have gotten a black screen. This happens after boot and before log in screen. I have tried deleting and reinstalling video-linux but without succes. (Please help)

Welcome to the Forum!
___

Can you boot successfully with a Live USB?

One thing you could try (although it may not help, as you apparently aren’t using NVidia) is to press “e” in the GRUB boot menu and edit the command-line to remove “quiet” and “splash”.

It will likely help if you can post more information about your system e.g. inxi -zv8.

Cheers :slight_smile:

I am trying to share you a picture of my system info but this site gives me a some kind of error. What kind of info do you need to be able help me? I havent tried booting with live USB because i dont have a USB stick available right now. The GRUB tweaking didnt also help

Let me suggest: reinstall your RX-580 while you search for possible solutions to the issue; unless you have another computer available.

Also, having a Manjaro Live Installer may be particularly useful in troubleshooting your issue; now might be a good time to download a fresh copy. That is all. Cheers.

1 Like

The best advice there I can offer is to look at this link. There are ways of uploading Terminal output e.g. pastebin but I need to look for the references to those on here.

Alright, i will do this first thing in the morning when i wake up. Also a quick question, could the problem be in outdated kernel (my kernel version is 5.4) or in linux-video’s priority being low?

Outdated kernel could well be an issue.

mhwd-kernel -l && mhwd-kernel -li

and compare with the list of currently-supported kernels. If you have a kernel installed/running which don’t show in the first part of that command, remove after installing and booting into a current (preferably LTS) one e.g linux66. Update GRUB then reboot.

Thank you, I will update you in the morning with the results. Also sorry if I am causing trouble for you by going to sleep.

Yes. Way too old for a RX 7800 XT. I think those cards even had problems with 6.1 when they were released. You can verify that this is the cause by booting a live USB. Kernel 6.6 LTS or later will work.

1 Like

After updating kernel the problem went away. Thank you everyone for helping!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.