Black screen after recent kernel update

This morning I installed an update which, I believe, came out yesterday (4/3/2024). After the update the system boots to a black screen. I looked on the forum and didn’t see anything which might be related and figured that before I go down the rabbit hole I’d go ahead and make the inquiry as to whether or not someone has reported an issue which I may have missed.

The following three packages were listed as the update:

linux61 6.1.80-1 → 6.1.84-1
linux61-headers 6.1.80-1 → 6.1.84-1
mhwd-nvidia 550.54.14-2 → 550.67-1

While I do not have and Nvidia H/W, I’m guessing it might be part of the initial installation in support of installing on a system which does have Nvidia H/W.

As I hinted at I haven’t really performed due diligence with regards to debugging as yet. I can describe this much… The installed via pamac reported to be successful and requiring a Restart. On boot nothing other than a cursor is displayed on the screen, IE. No Grub or listing of systems starting etc… Also TTY cannot be accessed via CTL-ALT-F3 , or F4, etc…

Since I think this update presented itself yesterday evening I suppose it’s possible I’m the 1st but I thought I’d ask in case I just missed something on the forum. Unless someone responds with "Hey didn’t you see the Notice, Announcement, Post, or other information which would show me the error of my ways, I’ll probably boot off a live thumb-drive and see it the logs show anything… and go from there.

Thank You
Dee

Please make an effort toward the use of unambiguous dates in your future posts. In the USA, the month is placed before the day, but in the rest of the world, the day is placed before the month. This is why the unambiguous format “YYYY.MM.DD” is preferred — you can use either periods, dashes or slashes as the separator, of course. :wink:

That kernel version is definitely not new. It was introduced in the 2024.03.13 Stable Update. :point_down:

Yes, it’s part of the mhwd utility.

Try booting up in verbose mode to see what’s going on. At the GRUB menu — if you don’t see the menu, press Esc during the hardware boot process — select the entry for your default kernel and press E. Remove the words “quiet” and “splash” from the boot options. Then press F10 to boot the system.

I’m on Manjaro Stable with Plasma, and the only updates there have been in recent days were to the xz package, manjaro-release, and since last night, chromium. There have not been any updates to the kernel or mhwd since the 2024.03.13 Stable Update. :man_shrugging:

Edit:- Title changed for better readability, search engine friendliness and spelling.

1 Like

Hello Aragorn, I’ve seen your name in a few posts in the past :slight_smile: thank you for the quick response.

I had no idea about the Universal date formats. It’s good to know and should be helpful.

I also am running Plasma. I attributed the update as being new from the Shield Icon on the menu bar having turned red during the day yesterday when it wasn’t earlier in the day. If that is an old update perhaps I have additional issues or maybe there’s an simple explanation for that. I tend to stay on top of updates and seldom go more than a day or so without applying once the Red Icon brings it to my attention.

I just attempted your suggestion of pressing ESC during the hardware boot process. It had no effect. I began pressing the ESC at the 1st glimpse of the BIOS splash screen. Not being sure I used the action of pressing ESC, breifly releasing, immediately pressing again, repeating the process until I gave up hope. Note that I have been trying to resolve an issue which appeared after having upgrading the motherboard, after a power surge killed the one I replaced. The new board has on-board Wifi, and I use a wired connection which seemed to cause an issue on boot where starting the wifi processes and such took a long time to to fail so the system could continue to boot. I had reduced the boot time by placing a soft block on the wifi device. I believe that is either the wrong solution or an incomplete solution. I only mention this in the event I am wrong in thinking it plays no part in the current difficulty. AT any rate that wifi band aid has been in place nearly a month now without issue. I hope to one day solve it :frowning:

Also, the few updates I have received in the past week or so haven’t seemed very big and I didn’t see an update of the xz package. I could have missed it but these past days I’ve kept an eye out for that specific update as I figured the Manjaro team would address that vulnerability quickly due to the severity risk it poses. Which also goes towards the idea I have something going on with regards to notification of updates.

Have you any suggestion on where to look other than the normal system logs when I boot a live image? The potential steps I would employ is to boot a live Manjaro image, mount the system boot drive, chroot to the system boot drive, (hmm… I think there is actually a "manjaro-chroot… or something like that verses the standard chroot). Then use journalctl to look at the logs. I don’t recall ever having done so but I imagine that should allow me to look at dmesg info as well…

Thank you

…and that Manjaro image should preferably be the latest available to avoid potential complication with older package versions …

Cheers.

1 Like

We updated kernels and not all modules were pushed when kernels got pushed. Normally the system would not update when nvidia drivers mis-match. This is now fixed.