Black screen after reboot kde

I recently rebooted my laptop and my desktop environment is not working I tried to run startx such as pacman-mirrors and -Syyu but it didn’t help at all also I’m new into Linux so.

Hullo,
Maybe these 2 are places to start:

Oh and maybe this:

Ah I will try to gather more information and I will respond later cuz I can’t post photos

What sort of photos do you plan on sharing, I ask because they may be useless for this topic, and ultimately removed by a moderator anyway. We don’t need to see black screens or screenshots of text either.

i have an hp elitebook 820 g1 i74600u and some intel gpu after typing sddm it says that failed to read display number from pipe display server stopping cloud not start display server on vt1

startx gived me an error unable to connect to x server connetion refused

what were you doing prior to this black screen? updating/ installing/ uninstalling/ modifying something … etc?
and post picture from:
startx
mhwd -l -li && mhwd-kernel -li

i was trying to update system using pacman-mirrors -f3 also pacman -Syuu but after reboot nothing changed

and before it happend i didnt made anything exaclly i was using web broswer only so

You installed vesa for some reason. That will likely break things.

sudo mhwd -r pci video-vesa
sudo mhwd -f -i pci video-linux

Edit. fixed to add pci :person_facepalming: :sweat_smile:

got error for this commands invalid use of option -i/–install and it only display after that help

It should be:

:wink:

2 Likes

Oops, sorry, I forgot pci

sudo mhwd -r pci video-vesa
2 Likes

okay now it did a thing removed vesa and installed video linux shloud i try run sddm?

Give it a

systemctl reboot

OMG it worked!!! thank you very much u really saved my rig from reinstalling system damn now im glad anyway that i switched from other os btw any advice for future?

Glad it worked out.

Just dont install vesa :wink:

PS… to explain a bit about vesa … its supposed to be ‘generic’ … but really … it just doesnt work at all on a lot of devices. Heres a snipit from the man page:

vesa is an Xorg driver for generic VESA video cards. It can drive most VESA-compatible video cards, but only makes use of the basic standard VESA core that is common to these cards. The driver supports depths 8, 15 16 and 24.

1 Like

ooooh okay noted!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.