Binder and ashmem modules are not contained in the Pinephone kernel

I was just trying to install Anbox, but the Pinephone kernel doesn’t seem to be compiled with the required modules. Since there is also no precompiled Zen kernel in the AUR, I have no idea how to proceed.

modprobe: FATAL: Module binder_linux not found in directory /lib/modules/5.12.19-1-MANJARO-ARM
modprobe: FATAL: Module ashmem_linux not found in directory /lib/modules/5.12.19-1-MANJARO-ARM
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/dev/binderfs’: File exists
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/dev/binder': File exists
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/dev/binder-control': File exists
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/dev/hwbinder': File exists
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/dev/vndbinder': File exists
ERROR: Binder and ashmem nodes not found!

Which image is it? Not sure about Plasma Mobile variant, but in recent Phosh images Anbox is install out of the box and working perfectly. Quite sure the kernel image should be the same, so maybe your image is outdated. Did you try to install all updates?

The modules are compiled in the kernel. They will not be in
/lib/modules/5.12.19-1-MANJARO-ARM. did you enable/start the service? I forget the exact name.

@appelgriebsch It is the latest Plasma image. All updates are installed.

@Darksky I first tried to install anbox and anbox-image. The I started the anbox-container-manager.service. Anbox only starts with a blank screen and crashes. The output from above is from the anbox-halium script to start the service

If I remember correctly, Anbox needs special environment variables to be set to launch.

We don’t have/support anbox-halium.

I know nothing about anbox-halium.

Here is the output from the normal Anbox starting (and crashing)

$ anbox launch --package=org.anbox.appmgr --component=org.anbox.appmgr.AppViewActivity

[ 2021-07-26 19:56:45] [daemon.cpp:61@Run] [org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply] Message recipient disconnected from message bus without replying

if I launch it with export EGL_PLATFORM=x11. Read that here. I guess wayland is correct though.

Stack trace (most recent call last):
#16   Object "/usr/bin/anbox", at 0xaaaae15302b3, in _start
#15   Object "/usr/lib/libc-2.32.so", at 0xffffad80e537, in __libc_start_main
#14   Object "/usr/bin/anbox", at 0xaaaae1529833, in main
#13   Object "/usr/bin/anbox", at 0xaaaae1546acb, in anbox::Daemon::Run(std::vector<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, std::allocator<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > > const&)
#12   Object "/usr/bin/anbox", at 0xaaaae1539203, in anbox::cli::CommandWithSubcommands::run(anbox::cli::Command::Context const&)
#11   Object "/usr/bin/anbox", at 0xaaaae1539dbb, in anbox::cli::CommandWithFlagsAndAction::run(anbox::cli::Command::Context const&)
#10   Object "/usr/bin/anbox", at 0xaaaae156aae7, in 
#9    Object "/usr/bin/anbox", at 0xaaaae15ddd83, in anbox::ui::SplashScreen::SplashScreen()
#8    Object "/usr/lib/libSDL2-2.0.so.0.14.0", at 0xffffae00b11b, in 
#7    Object "/usr/lib/libSDL2-2.0.so.0.14.0", at 0xffffae008b03, in 
#6    Object "/usr/lib/libSDL2-2.0.so.0.14.0", at 0xffffae03d89b, in 
#5    Object "/usr/lib/libSDL2-2.0.so.0.14.0", at 0xffffadffc2d3, in 
#4    Object "/usr/lib/libEGL_mesa.so.0.0.0", at 0xffffa98fc977, in 
#3    Object "/usr/lib/libEGL_mesa.so.0.0.0", at 0xffffa9904673, in 
#2    Object "/usr/lib/libEGL_mesa.so.0.0.0", at 0xffffa990a703, in 
#1    Object "/usr/lib/libEGL_mesa.so.0.0.0", at 0xffffa990a223, in 
#0    Object "/usr/lib/libX11-xcb.so.1.0.0", at 0xffffa97fd584, in XGetXCBConnection
Segmentation fault (Address not mapped to object [(nil)])
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

It is a fork of Anbox afaik. I just read that it should be faster than Anbox and wanted to try it out.

Another quick link for WayDroid (formerly Anbox-Halium): here is the install script, which is written with apt in mind. We would need to adapt the script to our needs.