Bind Mod4 + Super_L to a Command?

I am repurposing a Chromebook which doesn’t have a normal keyboard. There is a “search” key above shift.

I am using Albert as a launcher, and want to take the command: “albert toggle” to that key, but have been unsuccessful using xbindkeys.

Pressing the key yields this:
Mod4 + Super_L

xbindkeys --key  :heavy_check_mark:
Press combination of keys or/and click under the window.
You can use one of the two lines after “NoCommand”
in $HOME/.xbindkeysrc to bind a key.
“(Scheme function)”
m:0x40 + c:133
Mod4 + Super_L

What’s an easy way to reliably press that key and run a command?

Hello @kendoori :wink:

Since you use gnome3, there are settings for this:

(I guess keyboard or something else in English)

Thanks, but unfortunately, it doesn’t take that key as a trigger from inside the GUI.

If your system doesn’t generate a keyboard event for the keyboard combination you want to use, OR another keyboard event is defined using the same 2 keys, you have to take another key combination as some modifier keys do not generate keyboard events all by themselves but only in combination with other keys.

1. Fn all by itself does not generate a keyboard event, but Fn+ generates 1 (one) event, whereas Ctrl generates one event and Ctrl+A generates 2 events and Fn+Ctrl generates 0 events. :man_shrugging:
  2. If Ctrl+Alt+A generates an event, Ctrl+Alt all by itself cannot be used to generate another event as that would invalidate all other triple key bindings.

So if the keyboard combination you want to use does not generate an event, what you’re asking for is impossible due to hardware/software limitations.

:sob: