Best Backup Solution for NAS (QNAP TS-253D)?

Hello,

I’m trying to figure out the best way to back up my Pi running the latest version of Manjaro ARM (XFCE). My backup target is a QNAP TS-253D NAS, with SMB3 and NFS file transfer enabled.

I’ve found borg/borgmatic, but is that the best way to go? It seems like it might be overkill for incremental full disk backup?

It would be great if I could clone a bootable backup, but the (very outdated) tutorials I’ve found make that look extremely non-trivial.

Thanks for any advice. :slight_smile:

It’s been a while, since I have used a GTK desktop, but doesn’t Deja-Dup do incremental backups?

It’s definitely available in the repo.

community/deja-dup 42.5-1
Simple backup tool, that hides the complexity of backing up the Right Way and uses duplicity as the backend

I’d not heard of this app until you mentioned it. I’ll check it out. Borg looks cool, but a lot more complex than I’m interested in learning to deal with at the moment.

EDIT: I’m not sure how to answer this. Which do you suggest?

]$ sudo pacman -S deja-dup
resolving dependencies…
:: There are 2 providers available for org.freedesktop.secrets:
:: Repository extra

1. gnome-keyring
    :: Repository community
  2. keepassxc

I’d say number 1.

1 Like

Installed. Thanks!

Assuming I can’t do a network-bootable backup, what should I have in my incremental backup?

(That is, assuming I’m going to end up doing a clean install and then just restoring my user’s files and settings…)

On the list now:

/etc/*
/home/*

1. Should I add anything?
  2. Anything in /etc/ I should exclude (temp files, cache, etc.)?

My home folder is less than 25GB right now, so it’s not like space is a concern, but I want to get into good habits.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.