BCM43142A0 Bluetooth module does not detect any devices

OK, my apologies. I’m stumped.

:sob:

From here it looks like faulty hardware but you said it worked in E-OS (My own abbreviation), so I doubt it is that.But the fact that it complains about no device being present again makes me think of some kind of hardware thing.

That is interesting… so just a simple explanation:

• UEFI initialize bluetooth normally.
  • If fastboot, partial initialization or sort of is enabled at the UEFI settings then it skips some devices for boot speed up.
  • If so, then linux does not recognize the device, therefore: it is not there.
  • Also, when booted with with fastboot and you run mkinitcpio (usually on kernel upgrade), it will not include the bluethooth module on startup, meaning:
    • default kernel includes only current loaded modules
    • fallback kernel includes everything even if not necessary

Hope it helps to understand the problem for further testing :wink:

There was a problem with this adapter on each of the distributions I tested with this adapter. I tested LINUX MINT, Zorin OS. With the help of forum users from this distribution, we were able to get this adapter up and running. I thought that if I switch to Manjaro, this will not be a problem

so if I understand you correctly, in the bios settings I should turn off the boot speed so that the bluetooth adapter module can be seen when the computer is started and not only after restarting the computer

You understand correctly, I think.

Fastboot must be disabled in BIOS/UEFI.

Maybe a misunderstanding in terminology:

• A module in linux is, commonly saying, a “driver”
  • The bluetooth adapter is not a module, but a device in linux.

But yes, fastboot should be disabled which introduce such problems in linux. Windows handles drivers differently…

This is the first time I…understood…that fastboot can have an issue with hardware detection, and why it does.

Thank you!

Sir, when it comes to starting the bluetooth module when starting the computer, you were right. I changed the boot settings and it’s ok. In my bios, the fastboot sweep has a different name. :slight_smile:

When it comes to searching for devices, I also managed to fix the problem. The quetia was the driver of the bleethooth module. In the next post I will write how I managed to solve the problem.

1 Like

I uninstalled the existing driver first.
Next:

• in the terminal use the command: lsusb
    ~  lsusb                                                            ✔ 
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:8000 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:8008 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 005: ID 0bda:0129 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTS5129 Card Reader Controller
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 105b:e065 Foxconn International, Inc. BCM43142A0 Bluetooth module
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 045e:0745 Microsoft Corp. Nano Transceiver v1.0 for Bluetooth
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 174f:148d Syntek Lenovo EasyCamera
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

wget https://github.com/winterheart/broadcom-bt-firmware/raw/master/brcm/BCM43142A0-105b-e065.hcd
  • the file is downloaded to the / home / directory
  • after the file has been successfully downloaded
    in the terminal use the command:
    sudo cp BCM43142A0-105b-e065.hcd / lib / firmware / brcm /
  • computer restart
  • you can additionally install the BT - Blueman service program, it is in the software manager

Useful links
https://forum.linuxmint.pl/showthread.php?tid=1740
https://forum.linuxmint.pl/showthread.php?tid=73

Just remember, if it’s not a dkms kernel module, it won’t survive kernel updates and will have to be reinstalled after every kernel change. (So basically after every update. That is, if your kernel version gets an update.)

I know, but so far only this way worked and the module started to detect devices.

:+1: just keep that in mind when updating. That’s all I’m saying.

Ah well… if you need the firmware… then run:

pamac build broadcom-bt-firmware

and everything is done. It does all the steps you mentioned.

Your solution might be also work.

I tried to solve the problem as much as I can :slight_smile: If someone will improve my solution, it will be great! :slight_smile:

Like @megavolt:

:smile:

Thank you all for your interest in my problem and of course for your help. May this solution also help someone someday. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.