Basic (mis)understanding of the xfce panel

Is there a tutorial about the xfce panel? After installing Manjaro XFCE I modified the panel by trial-and-error.

#1 issue: The opened windows or processes.

After login my panel looks as shown

The Manjaro Start Icon appears on the leftmost position. With every opened window the Manjaro start button moves a bit to the right, such that an icon for the newly started window can be shown in the panel. After I have started a number of processes, my panel looks as follows:

I would prefer a configuration where the Manjaro Start Icon and my added icons remain in their positions. The icons that represent opened windows might go into a separate panel. Is there a way to achieve that?

#2 issue: Due to my trial-method I just lost the Manjaro Start Icon and I can’t find a way to get it back on the panel. (Currently I placed a whisker icon instead of the Manjaro Start Icon.)

For the first issue, right-click the panel → Panel → Panel Preferences → Items (tab). There you have set the Windows Button item as the first one in the list.
Select the Whisker Menu item and use the up arrow button on the right side to move it to the top of the list.

Regarding your second issue, right-click on the Whisker Menu item in the panel and select Properties. In the window that opens, select the Panel Button tab and click on the Icon option. In the new window that opens select Image Files under the Select icon from option at the top and navigate in the /usr/share/icons/ directory. From there you can choose the file named whiskermenu-manjaro.svg.

Documentation for the Xfce panel can be found here:
https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/start

https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/preferences

Hi Jolexin,

I’m no expert but there’s good tips over on the Xfce forums

If you need to reorder your Panel items, try right-clicking an empty space on your Panel and find Panel Preferences then open the Items tab. Here you can reorder and even add new items to the panel etc. Yes, if you lost your Whisker Menu you can get it back this way. :slight_smile:

Not sure if there’s a way to do this but I think I’ve seen people’s desktops in the Xfce forums that do this. If you don’t find anything on the topic there you’d do well to ask there.