Bash with autocomplete and fancy flags

Hi, I’ve installed Manjaro KDE to another PC and it turns out, that bash (in yakutake and konsole) has nice new funkcionality (autocomplete from history, coloring texts etc.), but on my old PC bash don’t do that.

I would like to know how a can install it to my old system?

Hello and welcome to the Forum!
Basically, Manjaro uses zsh not bash.
Funny enough, I asked the same question a while ago.
Along with zsh I would recommend you install p10k too, it makes customization much easier.
This is my setup:

Finally, to get the icons, you need to use a nerd font. The font I use is MesloLGS Nerd Font.

I hope this helps.

PS: After you install p10k, run this command to start customization:

p10k configure
1 Like

First

sudo pacman -Syu manjaro-zsh-config

then

chsh -s /bin/zsh

Finally open Konsole config CtrlShift, Add a new profile and set the command /bin/zsh

cp -i /etc/skel/.zshrc ~
2 Likes

This is command makes zsh the default shell, right?

Konsole is using profiles (other terminals may do to) and when logged in using TTY suggesting to set it as default shell is usually a preemptive strike against confusion

Yes it does - and normally this is the only step needed.

1 Like

Hi, thank all for your help, but it isn’t working :(. I’ll have to compare differences in both computers - I think that there must be some additional changes made.

Can you define:

There’s no autocompletion, flags etc.

Sorry, I forgot to say, you have to install the zsh-autosuggestion package.
but that depends on the distro, on Manjaro it’s:

sudo pacman -S zsh-autosuggestion

You can read the installation guide here.

I’m sorry, but I don’t understand what you mean by “flags”
Can you post a screenshot or an example from the terminal?
If you mean “syntax highlighting” then you must install the zsh-syntax-highlighting package:

sudo pacman -S zsh-syntax-highlighting

You can read the installation guide here.

I already have installed zsh-autosuggestions, zsh-syntax-highlighting, zsh-history-substring-search, zsh-autosugggestions, zsh and zsh-theme-powerlevel10k.

Flags I mean icons on the end of the line. But it isn’t matter, sadly somewhy it is not working at all.

There is screenshot.

Install manjaro-zsh-config

Because you are retrofitting onto an existing installation - you need to verify your ~/.zshrc file - or copy the file from /etc/skel/.zshrc

$ cat .zshrc
# Use powerline
USE_POWERLINE="true"
# Source manjaro-zsh-configuration
if [[ -e /usr/share/zsh/manjaro-zsh-config ]]; then
  source /usr/share/zsh/manjaro-zsh-config
fi
# Use manjaro zsh prompt
if [[ -e /usr/share/zsh/manjaro-zsh-prompt ]]; then
  source /usr/share/zsh/manjaro-zsh-prompt
fi
3 Likes

If you want you’re own custom config, then read the powerlevel 10k installation guide for easy customization.
And the installation guides for the other packages.

Thx a lot, that done the trick!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.