.bash_profile ignored?

Hi there,

it seems my .bash_profile is ignored? Am I doing something wrong?

[rtraut@pc2097lx ~]$ cat .bash_profile 
#
# ~/.bash_profile
#
[[ -f ~/.bashrc ]] && . ~/.bashrc

export PATH="${PATH}:${HOME}/bin"

export HALLO="123"
[rtraut@pc2097lx ~]$ env|grep HALL

This is after relogin.

Thx

If this is a fairly recent installation, then your login shell won’t actually be bash but zsh, and zsh does not read either ~/.bashrc or ~/.bash_profile. :wink:

1 Like

Hmm, yeah, thx for your answer.
But I’m using Mate Terminal which uses bash:

[rtraut@pc2097lx ~]$ echo $SHELL
/bin/bash
[rtraut@pc2097lx ~]$ cat .bash_profile 
#
# ~/.bash_profile
#

[[ -f ~/.bashrc ]] && . ~/.bashrc

export PATH="${PATH}:${HOME}/bin"

export HALLO="123"
[rtraut@pc2097lx ~]$ env|grep HALL
[rtraut@pc2097lx ~]$

From bash(1):

When bash is invoked as an interactive login shell, or as a non-interactive shell with the
–login option, it first reads and executes commands from the file /etc/profile, if that file
exists. After reading that file, it looks for ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, and ~/.profile,
in that order, and reads and executes commands from the first one that exists and is readable.
The --noprofile option may be used when the shell is started to inhibit this behavior.
[…]
When an interactive shell that is not a login shell is started, bash reads and executes com‐
mands from ~/.bashrc, if that file exists. This may be inhibited by using the --norc option.
The --rcfile file option will force bash to read and execute commands from file instead of
~/.bashrc.

I believe the problem is that you’re not invoking bash as a login shell. You should modify ~/.bashrc instead of ~/.bash_profile.

2 Likes

That is correct. A shell running in a GUI pseudo-terminal slave is not a login shell.

@jimjones, try this…

su -l rtraut
env | grep HALL

You should get an output from that now, which proves the point.

1 Like

Yes, thank you. “su -l” works.
Will use .bashrc now.

I’m coming from Redhat and Ubuntu, it used to work there.

LG
Rainer

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.