Total files indexed: 36
Files waiting for content indexing: 0
Files failed to index: 0
Current size of index is 1.16 MiB

This is my baloofilerc

[General]
first run=false
dbVersion=2
exclude filters=*~,*.part,*.o,*.la,*.lo,*.loT,*.moc,moc_*.cpp,qrc_*.cpp,ui_*.h,cmake_install.cmake,CMakeCache.txt,CTestTestfile.cmake,libtool,config.status,confdefs.h,autom4te,conftest,confstat,Makefile.am,*.gcode,*.csproj,*.m4,*.rej,*.gmo,*.pc,*.omf,*.aux,*.tmp,*.po,*.vm*,*.nvram,*.rcore,*.swap,lzo,litmain.sh,*.orig,.histfile.*,.xsession-errors*,*.map,*.so,*.a,*.db,*.qrc,*.ini,*.init,*.img,*.vdi,*.vbox*,vbox.log,*.qcow2,*.vmdk,*.vhd,*.vhdx,*.sql,*.sql.gz,*.class,*.pyc,*.pyo,*.elc,*.qmlc,*.jsc,*.fastq,*.fq,*.gb,*.fasta,*.fna,*.gbff,*.faa,po,CVS,.svn,.git,_darcs,.bzr,.hg,CMakeFiles,CMakeTmp,CMakeTmpQmake,.moc,.obj,.pch,.uic,.npm,.yarn,.yarn-cache,__pycache__,node_modules,node_packages,nbproject,core-dumps,lost+found
exclude filters version=5

Some insight?

journalctl | grep baloo
Sep 15 20:41:05 shmuel-Manjaro baloorunner[1561]: The X11 connection broke (error 1). Did the X11 server die?
Sep 15 20:41:42 shmuel-Manjaro plasma_session[1236]: org.kde.plasma.session: Starting autostart service  "/etc/xdg/autostart/baloo_file.desktop" ("/usr/bin/baloo_file")
Sep 15 20:41:48 shmuel-Manjaro baloo_file[1323]: replace called with invalid arguments, docId: 9656752928720902 url: "/home/shmuel/"
Sep 15 20:45:02 shmuel-Manjaro dbus-daemon[1207]: [session uid=1000 pid=1207] Activating service name='org.kde.runners.baloo' requested by ':1.24' (uid=1000 pid=1317 comm="/usr/bin/plasmashell " label="unconfined")
Sep 15 20:45:02 shmuel-Manjaro dbus-daemon[1207]: [session uid=1000 pid=1207] Successfully activated service 'org.kde.runners.baloo'
Sep 15 21:00:32 shmuel-Manjaro baloorunner[3595]: The X11 connection broke (error 1). Did the X11 server die?
Sep 15 21:01:11 shmuel-Manjaro plasma_session[1250]: org.kde.plasma.session: Starting autostart service  "/etc/xdg/autostart/baloo_file.desktop" ("/usr/bin/baloo_file")
Sep 15 21:01:17 shmuel-Manjaro baloo_file[1328]: replace called with invalid arguments, docId: 9656752928720902 url: "/home/shmuel/"
Sep 15 21:42:36 shmuel-Manjaro plasma_session[1192]: org.kde.plasma.session: Starting autostart service  "/etc/xdg/autostart/baloo_file.desktop" ("/usr/bin/baloo_file")
Sep 15 21:42:41 shmuel-Manjaro baloo_file[1263]: replace called with invalid arguments, docId: 9656752928720902 url: "/home/shmuel/"

After deleting the DB, did you set first run=true
(which means: start from scratch and is a better way to start from scratch instead of deleting the DB)

:thinking:

1 Like

I set

first run=false

My apologies for being confusing:

1. Stop baloo:

balooctl disable

2. Set first run to true:

nano --backup ~/.config/baloofilerc

3. Purge the DB and re-enable

balooctl purge
    balooctl enable

4. Wait

5. Are all files except the exclusions being indexed now?

3 Likes
shmuel@shmuel-Manjaro:~$ balooctl disable
Disabling and stopping the File Indexer
shmuel@shmuel-Manjaro:~$ nano --backup ~/.config/baloofilerc
shmuel@shmuel-Manjaro:~$ balooctl purge
Deleted the index database
shmuel@shmuel-Manjaro:~$ balooctl enable
Enabling and starting the File Indexer
shmuel@shmuel-Manjaro:~$ "Error: Invalid Font Weight"
Error: XMP Toolkit error 203: Duplicate property or field node
Warning: Failed to decode XMP metadata.

That seems to be an artefact of trying to index PDF files having font errors, so:

:grin:

1 Like

Not really…

balooctl status
    Baloo File Indexer is running
    Indexer state: Idle
    Total files indexed: 36
    Current size of index is 1.13 MiB

One more kick in the butt lower abdomen: :grin:

1. execute:

balooctl disable

2. add initialIndexingDone=false to ~/.config/baloofilerc and execute:

balooctl enable
    balooctl check
    balooctl monitor

3. Just in case, please provide the output to:

cat /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches
1 Like

Well, just to make sure, this is my new baloofilerc

[Basic Settings]
Indexing-Enabled=false
InitialIndexingDone=false

[General]
dbVersion=2
exclude filters=*~,*.part,*.o,*.la,*.lo,*.loT,*.moc,moc_*.cpp,qrc_>
exclude filters version=5

Here is the output

balooctl disable
shmuel@shmuel-Manjaro:~$ nano --backup ~/.config/baloofilerc
shmuel@shmuel-Manjaro:~$ balooctl enable
Enabling and starting the File Indexer
shmuel@shmuel-Manjaro:~$ replace called with invalid arguments, docId: 9656752928720902 url: "/home/shmuel/"

$ balooctl check
Started search for unindexed files
shmuel@shmuel-Manjaro:~$ balooctl monitor
Press ctrl+c to stop monitoring
File indexer is running
Idle
Indexing Extended Attributes
Idle

balooctl status
Baloo File Indexer is running
Indexer state: Idle
Total files indexed: 39
Current size of index is 2.25 MiB

I think I have the solution :slight_smile:

sudo pacman -S catfish

Comment that away (and might be the reason why it’s not working)

P.S. catfish is not a solution: That’s a workaround! :wink: :grin:

1 Like

" Indexing-Enabled=false" disappeared by itself.
I did “disable” and “enable” again, and it is still only indexing 39 files.

I hate to say this but:

nano  ~/.config/baloofilerc 

Add:

[Basic Settings]
Indexing-Enabled=false

and:

pamac install catfish

:sob:

2 Likes

Oops, it looks like I need to keep baloo, because it is a dependency of plasma-desktop and dolphin!

Edited: set

Indexing-Enabled=false

again instead of removing…

1 Like

What files are you expecting to find? Baloo is garbage it can not even search in hidden folders. I installed KFind and placed its button in dolphin it works great.

Yes, I expected it to search in hidden folders. If it doesn’t do that, then it is showing an accurate number of indexed files.
So tell me, how did you do this thing with kfind?
I have it installed already, I just now ticked “hidden files” and it works great. So how to you add it to Dolphin?

I modified the toolbar (right click in the upper part of dolphin and select Configure toolbar), I removed the default search button (which works with baloo) and added the KFind button, I click this button now to open KFind in the current folder (and you can modify the options then if needed).

1 Like

Thanks.
After comparing Kfind to Catfish, it looks like Kfind only finds whole file names, whereas Catfish will find, for instance, TogglDesktop, even when I search for “Toggl”.
Each way has its advantages.
The wierd thing is that Baloo works perfectly for me on Kubuntu 20.04. It finds everything. But it is next to worthless on Manjaro. Go figure. Sometimes, progress is regression…

Use wildcard character

Toggl*

1 Like