BackInTime balks at udev setting since 2018

Backintime can’t be set to react to udev – an issue that is apparently specific for Arch/Manjaro. The full issue at GitHub is here.

In brief: When in Manjaro Backintime (GUI) is set to backup after disk connection (via udev), it complains about nice when the settings dialog is OK’ed.

When everything nice-ey is switched off, the error changes.

This issue plagues some backintimers since 2018 at least; and the developers can’t nail it.

Could someone with deeper Manjaro knowledge look into it? That would be great.

Below is my current setup where the images came from.

backintime-qt 1.3.3-1
backintime 1.3.3-1
Both installed from Manjaro “Community” repo (can’t remember which package manager).

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.26.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.103.0
Qt Version: 5.15.8
Kernel Version: 6.1.12-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11

That upstream issue was very hard to follow… :face_with_spiral_eyes:

On Arch and Manjaro, /usr/sbin/ is not used and is a symlink to /usr/bin/, there should be no issue.

Tip: Don’t bother running Back In Time as root. Use Timeshift for system data backups and Back In Time for user data backups.

FYI, Back In Time is not actively developed, however it still works and I use it. However, since I bought a license for Baqpaq (by the original developer of Timeshift, I may move to that soon).

Yes, something like this is the plan. I am in the early stages of a migration from macOS together with a new backup strategy. For the time being I just wanted a full system outside the laptop, until a staggered-in-depth backup stands.

This looks very promising. Especially for the borg backend – I had borg among the top candidates, but not yet decided. I’ll look into what borg commands are supported.

Thanks for the tips!

For posterity: There is now an explanation at GitHub and a possible path (pun not intended) to a solution.