B43 driver seems to be installed, but no place to check "enable wifi" in new install?

@6x12

Back over on the MBP 5,4 Manjaro MATE edition, tried to find “lib/firmware/b43” and it isn’t in there?? I checked Add/remove and I see that b43-fwcutter is installed (wasn’t sure, since I added and removed it with the other package). I did see a “brcm” directory, but no “b43” itself, although I did search “b43” and it showed “firmware” as its location, but couldn’t actually navi to it…

Other issue, trying to just add in your “b43-firmware” package . . . I don’t know what a “yay” is, if that means just run “sudo aur-helper” then that might be easiest?? I searched Preferences >>Third Party . . . and in MATE there is nothing in Preferences that says “Third Party”?? I opened a number of options in Preferences and didn’t see “Third party.”

So, it seems like the solution should be at hand . . . “we” just can’t get it done as of yet.

Open ‘Add/Remove Software’ (this app is the GUI of pamac) >> Preferences > > Third Party and activate AUR Support. Then search in Add/Remove Software for b43-firmware and it will be there.

1 Like

Success!!! I thought you were talking about “System Preferences” rather than in the Add/remove app . . . . So, indeed, after adding Third Party support the “b43-firmware” package appeared and installed it . . . . Shut down and on cold boot “enable wifi” is now checked on and I was able to add the wifi connection to type this post.

That now makes the Manjaro system “operational” for a laptop . . . thanks kindly for your patience on it. I just haven’t had to mess with my other Manjaro install other than routine pacman upgrades, so never had any need to get under the hood on any of it, so I had no clue how to go about getting it done. Again, a tad bit odd since the desktop machine has the same wifi card and it set up wifi on the install, never had to do anything there either.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.