Auto suspend and auto start kdeconnect

Hello everybody.

A couple of weeks ago I had a problem caused by a shutdown during update (yes, I know…)
It ended up with, after some back and forth with some nice people in here, that I had to save the files I could through a live environment, and then do a reinstall.

At the time I was running KDE Plasma, but as I got to the reinstall i decided to give the Community Edition i3 a shot. I have always liked the tiling thing and I figured I would learn as I go.

And I am learning, however there are two things right now that bug me, which I haven’t been able to find a solution for.

1. My laptop auto suspends after about 10 minutes, and I haven’t been able to figure out how to change it. I have tried the Xcfe4 power manager, but to no avail.
    It’s particularly annoying when watching movies or youtube, that I constantly have to get up and type in my password (although I really do enjoy the circular code entry thingy)
    In that same problem I also want the laptop to suspend when the lid is closed, which also is not happening …

2. The second thing is I have installed KDE Connect. It is working as I want it to, except I have to manually turn it on every time i turn on my computer, and I really want it to start automatically so I can just use it right away even if in the couch.

Any help with these two issues will be greatly appreciated!
Thank you, and pardon my ‘noobness’ :smiley:

open the file manager & press ctrl+h to show hidden.
go .config> i3> see whats in there, there should be a config file.
in that file you can start apps with:
exec --no-startup-id your-app-name

in that same file you should see a similar command for the idle time that your screen powers off.

can’t remember exactly as i use sway & it’s setup differently.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply :slight_smile:

So here’s what I’ve found.
Adding the line
exec --no-startup-id kdeconnect
does not work, however if i put in the line
exec --no-startup-id kdeconnect-settings
that does work, it opens the setting window for KDE Connect and the connection is established.
I can then close that window and the connection stays.
However, if it is at all possible to establish that same connection, but without opening that window, I would really love to know how :slight_smile:
Back when I was on KDE Plasma, the KDE Connect app would just run by itself in the background, and in practice that meant that I basically never had to see that window, unless wanting to change some settings. Any other ways of making my system do this same thing on i3?

Also I cannot for the life of me find any settings in the config file pertaining to idle screen time, or power management. Maybe I’m just blind or maybe I’m looking for the wrong thing? I tried ctrl+f but to no avail.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! :smiley:

Edit:
Okay I figured out the Kde Connect, by putting ‘kdeconnect-cli’ instead of ‘kdeconnect-settings’, and now it works flawlessly! :smiley:
Also I think I found the line pertaining to the autolock, its called

exec --no-startup-id xautolock -time 10 -locker blurlock

I guess I just out that at 0 if I don’t want it to suspend right or any number of minutes I would like?
Or should I just remove the line entirely?

Only thing left now is how to get the laptop to suspend when the lid is closed, instead of doing nothing. Any Ideas?
Anyway thank you so much for your help!! :smiley: :smiley:

i’m thinking you just suspend before closing the lid? mod+0 s ?
lol

Yeah sure, that works too :stuck_out_tongue:

Fair warninng: I have never and don’t at the moment use Xfce. This is just from a quick internet search.

According to this page:

I believe I have found a better workaround (from discussion here, comment #70).

Problem is that xfce4-power-manager (xf4pm) is letting logind handle the lid close, and that happens because the logind-handle-lid-switch field in xf4pm settings is by default set to true (no idea why). To make xf4pm have control over lid close, we have to set that field to false: xfconf-query -c xfce4-power-manager -p /xfce4-power-manager/logind-handle-lid-switch -s false. That fixed it for me!

Thanks a lot, but I think I kinda found out, I like that nothing happens, when I close the lid :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.