AUR package (visual-studio-code-bin) version mismatch

I use the AUR package visual-studio-code-bin and yesterday I noticed the application telling me it was in need of an update. So I ran ‘sudo pamac update’ which synchronized the package DBs and told me there were no updates to install.

The AUR page for this package says its current version is 1.60.0-1:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/visual-studio-code-bin/

But ‘pamac info’ says the version shows:

Name                  : visual-studio-code-bin
Version               : 1.59.1-1
Description           : Visual Studio Code (vscode): Editor for building and debugging modern web and cloud applications (official binary version)
URL                   : https://code.visualstudio.com/
Licenses              : custom: commercial
Repository            : AUR
Installed Size        : 287.9 MB
Depends On            : libxkbfile gnupg gtk3 libsecret nss gcc-libs libnotify libxss glibc lsof shared-mime-info xdg-utils
Optional Dependencies : glib2: Needed for move to trash functionality [Installed]
                        libdbusmenu-glib: Needed for KDE global menu [Installed]
                        org.freedesktop.secrets: Needed for settings sync [Installed]
Provides              : code
Conflicts With        : code
Packager              : Unknown Packager
Maintainer            : dcelasun
First Submitted       : 12/18/2017
Last Modified         : 09/03/2021
Votes                 : 1090
Build Date            : 08/26/2021
Install Date          : 08/26/2021
Install Reason        : Explicitly installed

The ‘Last Modified’ date does match the ‘Last Updated’ on the AUR page. But the versions clearly don’t match and so pacman/pamac doesn’t think there’s anything to do.

Should I report this to the AUR page as an issue with this package or am I possibly doing something wrong on my end?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Actually should be pamac update or pamac upgrade
no need for sudo because is using polkit.

Also if you run sudo pamac build it could be a problem and will have this message
Warning: Building packages as root
You can ignore it and choose to press Y and continue at your own risk. So probably you did just that in the first place hence the version mismatch now … Never did that, so i honestly can’t confirm.

moved to #support:aur - because is an AUR package, but i don’t think is neither an AUR package issue, nor Manjaro side issue.

You could remove it, reboot, and properly build it without sudo and see how that goes.

Actually should be pamac update or pamac upgrade
no need for sudo because is using polkit.

Both of these appear to do/output the same thing:

Preparing...
Synchronizing package databases...
Nothing to do.
Transaction successfully finished.

Also if you run sudo pamac build it could be a problem and will have this message
Warning: Building packages as root
You can ignore it and choose to press Y and continue at your own risk. So probably you did just that in the first place hence the version mismatch now … Never did that, so i honestly can’t confirm.

Respectfully, I believe this is not true. If I run any of these commands as an unprivileged user, I am prompted for my password so it can escalate to root.

You could remove it, reboot, and properly build it without sudo and see how that goes.

Well, removing it and reinstalling it actually did seem to update the version. To be clear, running without sudo still prompted me for my password in order to escalate to root.

Any idea how the package got into this state? I don’t feel convinced it has anything to do with having run the commands through sudo.

To you as admin, not to root

because is using polkit.

Do it again then, next time …

According to wiki:

Warning: Never use sudo with pamac. It will ask for escalated rights if it needs them

It is from the AUR so it’s up to the maintainer to update the package. You could flag it as outdated in the AUR.

The package is not outdated, it’s an issue with Pamac not downloading the current PKGBUILD and instead reusing the old version in the cache.

@brianjcohen I would created an upstream issue.

EDIT: It’s already reported, thanks @XRaTiX

:information_source: DO NOT report issues with AUR packages in the comments if you’re using an AUR helper like Pamac or Yay. If you have an issue, build it manually and see if you can reproduce the issue.

In the meantime, use a different AUR helper like yay or clear your Pamac cache and try again.

Just in case, do you have CheckAURUpdates enabled in /etc/pamac.conf?

The issue I reported before but it should be fixed already

Can you try updating with the GUI instead?

1 Like

The proper command to check for AUR package should be pamac update -a if you don’t have the check update parameter enable as pointed by cfinnberg.

From Pamac GUI, check the settings here.

From man pamac:

UPGRADE, UPDATE
       Upgrade your system

--aur, -a
               also upgrade packages installed from AUR