AUR git or .tar.xz from official site?

I experienced an issue with ffmpeg, so i wanted to report it, they suggest to first reproduce the issue on latest development version of the ffmpeg, so the question is how to install it along with Manajaro ffmpeg.

pamac search -a ffmpeg shows:

ffmpeg-git 4.4.r101737.g896395bbcf-1 AUR
Complete solution to record, convert and stream audio and video (git version)

ffmpeg-full-git 4.4.r101737.g896395bbcf-1 AUR
Complete solution to record, convert and stream audio and video (all possible features including libfdk-aac; git version)

ffmpeg-amd-full-git 4.4.r101748.g797c2ecc8f-1 AUR
Complete solution to record, convert and stream audio and video (all possible features for AMD; git version)

ffmpeg-amd-full 4.3.2-1 AUR
Complete solution to record, convert and stream audio and video (all possible features for AMD)

ffmpeg [Installed] 2:4.3.2-2 extra
Complete solution to record, convert and stream audio and video

I am having AMD CPU/GPU (APU).
So i do not know what package is the one i need and regarding dev. version if it is more efficient to build from AUR or use “static build” tar.xz from John Van Sickle - FFmpeg Static Builds (here described on how to install it)

Linux is not simple for GUI users when want to try latest version and keep it up to date :-S

You don’t. Installing any of the AUR packages will replace ffmpeg as they all provide and conflict with it.

ffmpeg-git would be the best bet. You can always install ffmpeg again later.

Why AUR ffmpeg-git better than tar.xz? Is it automatically upgradeable?
I hate wasting resources for building, but i guess i would have to do it, i seen that some AUR packages not needed to build, it was kind of prebuild or something, though i am unsure how to discover from pamac output if certain package is in such state.

If you install a package from outside of the repo (official or AUR), managing package upgrades becomes a pain and annoying. Also, if you install a package from outside of a repo, you’re going to have to find out and install all of the correct dependencies yourself, including the correct versions of packages and libraries if it requires a specific version number or range as dependencies.

Alternatively, since you seem to want to use ffmpeg directly, you could simply clone the code and build it locally, without installing. Then you can call that built application directly ($ ./ffmpeg) instead of the installed one ($ ffmpeg).

1 Like

Because ffmpeg-git will build from the latest git commit, also the ffmpeg git repository is also official

You mean the energy used for compiling or something else?

That is because they repacked a prebuild binary

You need to read directly the pkgbuild

Pro tip for managing and update your AUR packages: use buildpkg for clean build packages and make your local repository with a static web server like darkhttpd

Actually that’s not being maintained anymore, use chrootbuild (from manjaro-chrootbuild) instead.

1 Like

I wasn’t aware of that, thank you