Audio issues - no audio over HDMI after switching to pipewire

I’ve just attempted to install pipewire instead of pulseaudio (to get access to multi-band compression, mostly), and I’ve managed to get myself into a bit of a pickle. I have no sound out of my HDMI port, despite everything appearing correct - the HDMI device exists, I can select it from KDE’s settings menu, and aplay -l lists it as I expect; it just… doesn’t get any sound out of it.

The HDMI port goes to a TV, which is then plugged into standalone speakers; I use it to run a smart TV off the same machine as my regular computer (just playing browser videos, mostly). I remember having the same issue when I first plugged in the TV; I’m trying to remember how I solved it, but if I remember correctly I just kind of poked things until the problem magically went away. I just don’t remember what I poked!

So I’ve got two options - fix the HDMI issue, or revert to pulseaudio. I attempted to revert, but ended up thoroughly wrecking my setup such that browser videos simply refused to play at all (even silently); I’m on pipewire again because that at least mostly works. I’d definitely prefer to get pipewire working, but more than anything I just want to be able to use my TV speakers again! (And now that I’m thinking about it, I sort of suspect that if I reverted, I’d have the same problem regardless.)

The output of aplay -l is this: (sorry it’s in Japanese; apparently that’s the system language it decided to use for this)

**** ハードウェアデバイス PLAYBACK のリスト ****
カード 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], デバイス 3: HDMI 0 [SM32UNP]
  サブデバイス: 1/1
  サブデバイス #0: subdevice #0
カード 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], デバイス 7: HDMI 1 [Beyond TV]
カード 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], デバイス 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
カード 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], デバイス 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
カード 1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], デバイス 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
カード 2: Microphones [Blue Microphones], デバイス 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

I can get output out of the ‘HD-Audio Generic’ one just fine (my desk speakers), and I don’t care in the least about getting audio through my mic’s output or the monitor (the SM32UNP). speaker-test -D hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1 -c 2 (addressing the Beyond TV device directly) works just fine; I correctly get white noise out of the TV speakers. I just get no such noise when I run speaker-test with no arguments (or if I play sound from any other source) when I select the TV output via KDE’s audio settings GUI.

Here’s my alsa-info.sh; checking the pipewire service status shows no errors.

Ah, I’ve remembered the solution! Putting it here for helping other people.

In KDE’s audio settings GUI, switch the profile dropdown from ‘Default (HDMI)’ to ‘Digital Stereo (HDMI 2)’. It’s that simple.

This topic was automatically closed 3 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.