Audio does not switch from speakers to headphones after plugging the headphones

kernal: 5.8.18-1-MANJARO
DE: Xfce 4.14

i have not use this laptop for few months and after an update i am facing this issue.

how it should work : whenever i plugin headphones ot should automatically change output stream from speakers to headphones.

how it is : i have to change output stream from speakers to headphones manually form audio mixer everytime i plug headphones

I have similar problem here. I am using JBL bluetooth headphones, they are connected automatically but after that I need to manually switch audio output.

I switch the output in playback and that setting sticks. Are you manually switching all audio or for just specific applications?

no, i have to manually switch all audio systemwide

Same issue here, on a Dell laptop with Awesome WM.
Kernel : 5.7.19-2-MANJARO
It has actually been at least a month since that problem appeared already (so it’s not a super recent change in the code or something)

The behaviour is quite weird. If the sound is at 30% on speakers in pavucontrol, and I plug in the headphones, the sound goes to 3% and mute, still on speakers. Then if I unplug the headphones without doing anything, it goes back to 31% (it’s -30.75dB so I suppose it rounds a value) but stays muted.
If, when I plug in the headphones, I manually switch to the headphones in pavucontrol they go back to their old value and are directly unmuted. Then when I unplug them again, pavucontrol switches to speakers, but with muted sound at 3%, which I guess is the last value it had.

Not sure what would be useful to troubleshoot this, honestly. Also, @mrw01f, do you have the same behaviour?

kernel v5.8.18 is now End Of Life so I suggest you update to kernel v5.9

manjaro-settings-manager -m msm_kernel

When you change the output in PulseAudio Volume Control, does the Headphone output show it is (plugged-in) ? If it is showing (unplugged) or just the name of the output device, then the headphone jack detection in ALSA may not be working correctly

Please post system information

inxi -Faxz

and PulseAudio information

pacmd list-cards

According to [Stable Update] 2020-11-27 - Kernels, Browsers, Maui-Apps, Pamac 10.0-Beta, Gnome, Mesa, Qt, 5.7 is in end of life as well, so I switched to 5.9 and now it works without any problem; thank you, wouldn’t have thought of that.

For the record, PulseAudio showed (and shows) “Headphones (unplugged)” when they are unplugged and just “Headphones” when they aren’t.

yeah, its really broken on my HP envy x360 running manjaro with linux 5.10.2-2. sometimes the audio will come out of both my speakers and headphones and cause I don’t have a room my parents will hear everything I think they are not hearing while im sitting in the corner of the room with my headphones plugged in. I think I might just uninstall manjaro and go back to ubuntu or windows. Manjaro is cool, but I am really tired.

Then you probably need to change Auto-Mute Mode for the onboard audio back to default setting Enabled in alsamixer

1 Like

I don’t really know how to do that, but also I don’t think that is the problem exactly. I narrowed down the problem to if the headphone is plugged in before I log into manjaro, the audio will come out of both the speaker and headphone, but if I plug it in after I log in, I won’t have any problems.