Audacity problem with monitor while recording

Hi all, and thanks in advance for your time maybe just reading this post.

I used lot of distro and i’m new to manjaro by the way i’m not that expert on these topics.
With other distro like open-suse or popOs and Nobara i had no problem just downloading and installing audacity to record my computer audio output and recording my microphone while i can listen to the monitor output.

For the first problem i notice i have only ALSA so i have to install another host maybe i used to have on other OS jack and idk how to do that and run that properly.

For the second one while i go to transport and i flag monitor output while i start recording the audio audacity just crash. I have the log file but it doesn’t says that much but i could post it. And now i can’t actually kill the audacity because it doesn’t show on top in konsole but the gui is still open.

Sorry if i can’t explain further or for my english.

Audacity uses an ALSA plugin to record and play audio to PulseAudio
(or PipeWire if PulseAudio has been replaced)
to use the ALSA plugin select default or pulse (or pipewire) for

For the second one while i go to transport and i flag monitor output while i start recording the audio audacity just crash

If the Playback and Recording devices are set to connect direct to an ALSA audio device, but the audio device is connected to a software audio server (PulseAudio or PipeWire), Audacity will not be able to get exclusive access to ALSA devices and will fail

To use exclusive connections to ALSA devices, software audio server can be turned off

for PulseAudio:

systemctl --user stop pulseaudio.socket pulseaudio.service

For PipeWire:

systemctl --user stop pipewire-pulse.socket pipewire-pulse.service
1 Like

Ok but what if i want to use jack audio to record the audio monitor ( what i hear ) ?

If JACK is running Audacity can be configured to record audio from JACK using portaudio
( portaudio is the open-source implementation of Apple’s Core Audio API )

I used to use Audacity in JACK for recording VOIP calls like this:

AudacityJackVOIP

Microphone Audio (system:capture) is recorded to left channel,
Desktop audio from VOIP (PulseAudio JACK sink) recorded to right channel
PulseAudio JACK sink is also connected to headphone output (system:playback) to hear VOIP caller
monitoring VOIP caller through Audacity would add extra latency