Asus Zephyrus G14 Ryzen 9 Overheating, overthrottling issue

Hello!

This is my second attempt at participating in the Manjaro community after I was really turned off before. I recently installed Manjaro 20 on my Brand new Asus Zephyrus G14 Dual core Ryzen 4900 GTX 2060. Everything I need appears to work out of the box.
BUT, under Manjaro, my system is overheating and over throttling reducing my supposed 13 hour battery life under windows to a mere two hours. I’m a noob still at linux (atleast Manjaro) and though I read a couple similar posts, I’m afraid I’m not sure exactly at which point to assimilate someone else’s experience to my own and I thereby get slightly lost in being able to deal with this effectively. My temperatures have reached 89c and I’m not too sure why. My guess under the current hysteria level everyone is under would be Computer COVID (20)!

Hello and welcome back!

If i may ask, something technical or other “nature” ?

This is a complete guide for that Laptop Model, and even tho is for arch linux, it should help understand better the issue and probably help you move forward:
https://asus-linux.org/wiki/g14-and-g15/setup-guides/arch-full-guide/
and

2 Likes

Thank you so much for that reply! To answer your question firstly, a moderator (not you) capriciously deleted my post for help resulting in a hopeless situation for me. Unable to get started on working with Manjaro I switched back to windows 7, Mint and Mac. It was really wrong the way he/she went about it completely ignoring their own rules and philosophy. My post was not in violation of rules and was within context. The more I thought about it afterwards, the more upset I became about it especially knowing that this was the only way to get any help and proceed forward.

But anyway Back to the issue at hand (before this gets too long)…

The best information I have come up on regarding my current issue was here…Arstechnica titled " Linux on Laptops: ASUS Zephyrus G14 with Ryzen 9 4900HS" …This individual attempted to install DEBIAN on his Zephyrus (like mine) and came up on the same/similar issues. So I wonder if the step in the guide here may cure the issue concerning the drivers after installation regarding Nvidia etc. I wonder if this is the culprit. I know I need to be careful though on how I attempt to try to fix this. I hope someone can provide mor clear information to help me along here with more confidence. The main reason I bought this machine was for the long battery life and of coarse, at the moment, this is up in the air. I’m about to reinstall Windows on it but I really don’t want to.
Patiently but anxiously awaiting!!!

I tried to use the command line and run these like in that guide but nothing gave! Here is what I did. If this is too much giberish, then please delete or ask me to do so and will edit.

[BLANK@BLANK-Zephyrus ~]$ sudo pacman --sync --noconfirm nvidia-dkms nvidia-utils nvidia-settings nvidia-prime
[sudo] password for BLANK
error: target not found: nvidia-dkms
:: There are 8 providers available for nvidia-utils:
:: Repository extra

1. nvidia-340xx-utils 2) nvidia-390xx-utils 3) nvidia-418xx-utils
  2. nvidia-430xx-utils 5) nvidia-435xx-utils 6) nvidia-440xx-utils
  3. nvidia-450xx-utils 8) nvidia-455xx-utils

Enter a number (default=1):
error: target not found: nvidia-settings
[BLANK@BLANK-Zephyrus ~]$ sudo systemctl enable nvidia-suspend.service Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/systemd-suspend.service.requires/nvidia-suspend.service ! /usr/lib/systemd/system/nvidia-suspend.service.
bash: syntax error near unexpected token <' [BLANK@BLANK-Zephyrus ~]$ sudo systemctl enable nvidia-suspend.service </span><span style="color:#010101;">Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/systemd-suspend.service.requires/nvidia-suspend.service ! /usr/lib/systemd/system/nvidia-suspend.service. bash: syntax error near unexpected token <’
[BLANK@BLANK-Zephyrus ~]$ sudo systemctl enable nvidia-suspend.service
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/systemd-suspend.service.requires/nvidia-suspend.service ! /usr/lib/systemd/system/nvidia-suspend.service.
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `<’
[BLANK@BLANK-Zephyrus ~]$

Can you shed some light on the GNOME requirement of this guide? I don’t want Gnome, I want XFCE. Its what I already downloaded and feel comfortable with.

You probably moved on long ago. Sharing because i had the same issue for a while and i think others might read this. I have the same laptop as you. I also moved to Manjaro because of the newer hardware support. Also i 'm a developer so there is some appeal. This laptop works well with this distribution. I wanted to take. a step back and propose a different strategy for others. I installed the asusctl tool and used that to set charge limit and set power profile. You can pick several differnet window managers; you can enable and disable the GPu. recomendation You might be better off to just jump in with the basic instructions on Manjaro’s site (download /run installer) and go to town. From there at least in the newer kernels you don’t really need to do a ton other than fix the keyboard. I had to fiddle to get the power managemnt profile to stay on silent. But in the latest 5.10 set it’s using amds power tuning features. silent profile will give you 10 hours default in 5.10 is more like six so not optimal.

The bad. I used this laptop for a while now on manjaro it’s getting better the less manual you have to do. Originally had to compile three kernel modules. For whatever reasons they’d keep breaking with each upgrade, which is odd because that not exactly the point of kernel modules they should properly recompile during upgrades. i suspect it is that i didn’t do it quite right though my mistakes are repeatable. In theory though this laptop should work like a champ on Manjaro and it is a good choice.

If you just do default install pick window manager t it will work.

Next point. with Manjaro on this laptop i’ve seen things break on updates. My suspicions is since most of the hardware in this laptop is built into 5.10 and that’s an LTS pinning to that for a few months is going to resolve this. Another tip to get around these issues i set the load level to 4. IN general with linux i have sort of got to the point of prefering a text login because window managers are usually where i hit my issues and if i can get a reliable boot, i can usually fix anything. I also usually keep a separate kernel handy to fix stuff to avoid having to rely solely on usb sticks. Also, for Desktop this is never an issue I’ve hit it’s just new laptop madness. The laptop is almost a year old now, expect things to settle down really fast now on 5.10 it’s like 95% there. G14–it’s really popular, it’s fantastic, and with Chip shortages we are really lucking out because a ton of people are buying it which only helps with Support! I think Manjaro is a really good distribution for laptops. If your really into linux i 'd even consider going with the 2020 module to avoid the hassle of new hardware all over again if your using it for productivity.