ASUS WMI eeepc ? what does it do?

For a long time and with a number of kernel versions (mainly 5.15 and 6.1) a keypress on my Apple wired keyboard does sometimes not wakeup my suspended pc (an ASUS B360M motherboard). While again trying to find clues and looking in the kernel ring buffer messages with dmesg I stumbled on …

[    4.546828] asus_wmi: ASUS WMI generic driver loaded
[    4.562786] [drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20201103 for 0000:00:02.0 on minor 0
[    4.571719] asus_wmi: Initialization: 0x0
[    4.572408] asus_wmi: BIOS WMI version: 0.9
[    4.572667] asus_wmi: SFUN value: 0x0
[    4.572670] eeepc-wmi eeepc-wmi: Detected ASUSWMI, use DCTS

I know that the ASUM eee pc was a mini laptop in the windows xp era.

Why is this driver loaded? What does it do in my system? Should I kill this? (and how?)

On the LInux Kernel Driver Database (Linux Kernel Driver DataBase: CONFIG_EEEPC_WMI: Eee PC WMI Driver) it is reported “This is a driver for newer Eee PC laptops. It adds extra features like wireless radio and bluetooth control, leds, hotkeys, backlight…”

Thanks

I don’t why it’s loaded but you can easily try blacklisting it and see if that fixes or breaks anything.

sudo sh -c "echo 'blacklist eeepc-wmi' > /etc/modprobe.d/eeepc-wmi.conf"

and reboot. If anything breaks just delete /etc/modprobe.d/eeepc-wmi.conf and reboot.

Thanks. I have blacklisted it and rebooted. If this solves my issue, it would be black magic :wink:
We will see. update Nov 15: resume on keypress still going strong.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.