(Asus t101ha w/Manjaro Gnome) Touchscreen issues

Hi folks,
I got gifted this asus that is one of the 2 in 1 laptops and since it was awful out of the box with W10 I managed to install manjaro on it. Heard online that the Gnome version was the one with best touch support so I went with it.

Back to the matter… Touchscreen on Manjaro gnome version mostly works, but there are things that don’t really work like they should I guess.
I’m refearing to various things I’ve noticed.
Since I can’t really address a specific problem I’ll describe the situations I’ll provide screenshot of all of them to make it clear.

There are 4 things I noticed:

1. Keyboard on screen doesn’t type in lockscreen login thing. It’s weird cause in mozilla search bar this keyboard on screen work, same thing with typing with it on terminal. Keyboard on screen also doesn’t type in the search bar of the app menu of gnome.

2. In the File Explorer when you hold on screen with your finger to let the hold on menu appear, it appears but as soon as you raise your finger to click an option, it disappers.

3. Touch tapping doesn’t work as intended if file explorer is put into “show files as a list” mode. It’s almost impossible to enter folder with the double tap. Sometime after 8-9 tap it may let you enter in the folder that is highlighted by the green bar.

4. Last thing is about mozilla, it doesn’t let you scroll with your finger as you would usually do. You have to use the scroll bar to the right, otherwise if you don’t use that and try to scroll with your finger you highlight text. FIXED BY INSTALLING UNGOOGLED-CHROMIUM

Since I have no idea of what info should I provide, here’s the standard inxi --full --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host :

System:
  Kernel: 5.8.11-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A 
  Desktop: GNOME 3.36.6 tk: GTK 3.24.23 wm: gnome-shell dm: GDM 3.36.3 
  Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:
  Type: Detachable System: ASUSTeK product: T101HA v: 1.0 serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: ASUSTeK model: T101HA v: 1.0 serial: <filter> 
  UEFI: American Megatrends v: T101HA.304 date: 06/05/2017 
Battery:
  ID-1: BATC charge: 14.3 Wh condition: 28.7/31.6 Wh (91%) volts: 4.0/3.8 
  model: Intel SR 1 SR Real Battery type: Li-ion serial: <filter> 
Memory:
  RAM: total: 3.68 GiB used: 957.0 MiB (25.4%) 
  RAM Report: 
  permissions: Unable to run dmidecode. Root privileges required. 
CPU:
  Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Atom x5-Z8350 bits: 64 type: MCP 
  arch: Airmont rev: 4 L2 cache: 1024 KiB bogomips: 11524 
  Speed: 480 MHz min/max: 480/1920 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 547 2: 480 
  3: 480 4: 480 
  Flags: 3dnowprefetch acpi aes aperfmperf apic arat arch_perfmon bts 
  clflush cmov constant_tsc cpuid cx16 cx8 de ds_cpl dtes64 dtherm dts epb 
  ept erms est flexpriority fpu fxsr ht ibpb ibrs ida lahf_lm lm mca mce 
  md_clear mmx monitor movbe msr mtrr nonstop_tsc nopl nx pae pat pbe 
  pclmulqdq pdcm pebs pge pni popcnt pse pse36 pti rdrand rdtscp rep_good 
  sep smep ss sse sse2 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 stibp syscall tm tm2 tpr_shadow 
  tsc tsc_adjust tsc_deadline_timer tsc_known_freq tsc_reliable vme vmx vnmi 
  vpid xtopology xtpr 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx 
  Integrated Graphics 
  vendor: ASUSTeK driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:22b0 
  Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.9 compositor: gnome-shell driver: intel 
  unloaded: modesetting alternate: fbdev,vesa resolution: <xdpyinfo missing> 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics (CHV) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.1.8 
  compat-v: 3.0 direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series 
  Imaging Unit 
  driver: N/A bus ID: 00:03.0 chip ID: 8086:22b8 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.8.11-1-MANJARO 
Network:
  Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter 
  vendor: AzureWave driver: ath10k_pci v: kernel port: f000 bus ID: 01:00.0 
  chip ID: 168c:0042 
  IF: wlp1s0 state: up mac: <filter> 
  IP v4: <filter> type: dynamic noprefixroute scope: global 
  broadcast: <filter> 
  IP v6: <filter> type: noprefixroute scope: link 
  WAN IP: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 58.24 GiB used: 7.81 GiB (13.4%) 
  ID-1: /dev/mmcblk0 model: DF4064 size: 58.24 GiB serial: <filter> rev: 0x8 
  scheme: GPT 
RAID:
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 56.79 GiB used: 7.81 GiB (13.8%) fs: ext4 
  dev: /dev/mmcblk0p2 label: N/A uuid: a9ccd26c-f160-45b1-b922-1f9edbeff75c 
  ID-2: /boot/efi size: 299.4 MiB used: 312 KiB (0.1%) fs: vfat 
  dev: /dev/mmcblk0p1 label: N/A uuid: C93B-8760 
Swap:
  Alert: No Swap data was found. 
Unmounted:
USB:
  Hub: 1-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 7 rev: 2.0 
  speed: 480 Mb/s chip ID: 1d6b:0002 
  Device-1: 1-3:2 info: IMC Networks type: Bluetooth driver: btusb 
  interfaces: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s chip ID: 13d3:3501 
  Device-2: 1-4:3 info: ASUSTek ASUS HID Device type: Keyboard,Mouse 
  driver: asus,hid-multitouch,usbhid interfaces: 3 rev: 2.0 speed: 12 Mb/s 
  chip ID: 0b05:183d 
  Hub: 2-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 6 rev: 3.0 speed: 5 Gb/s 
  chip ID: 1d6b:0003 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 35.0 C mobo: N/A 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:
  Processes: 277 Uptime: 1h 38m Init: systemd v: 246 Compilers: gcc: N/A 
  Packages: 1169 pacman: 1165 snap: 4 Shell: Zsh v: 5.8 
  running in: gnome-terminal inxi: 3.1.05 

Of course, if any other info is needed I’ll provide that asap.

Hello,
I 've the same Problem with the keyboard in lockscreen.
With a bluetooth-keyboard it’s possible to login, but the only functional key of the onscreen keyboard seems to be the enter key.
I installed manjaro gnome on a lenovo miix700. I use the miix700 as tablet or with a bluetooth keyboard because the original keyboard was broken.

I found a solution in changing from X11 to to wayland. Now I can login with onscreen keyboard.

Sadly, this doesn’t work for me :frowning:

UP

I need that OSK to work at login, anyone can help please? :frowning:

With an installation of Manjaro with Gnome 3.38.3 with X11 on Exo PC, I can reproduce the issues listed by the original poster.

Regarding number 1: The keyboard doesn’t work in the initial login screen, but it works for the search bar in the app menu, as well as in other text fields once I’m logged in. The lock-screen behaves strange, when I type in the password it somehow works until the 7th character of the password but then suddenly the password field moves behind the keyboard. In some cases it keeps the focus in other cases it lost the focus, which made it very hard to unlock.

Regarding number 2, the menu immediately disappears, when I raise my finger.

Regarding number 3, when I switch modes to “show files as a list” the touch tapping (to select a folder) works for the first tap, but not the subsequent tabs. When I switch to the symbols view and back to the list-view I can do another tab. (also the tool-tip for the view-switcher stays on the screen). I can as well reproduce the folder opening behavior for the list-view.

For issue 4, you maybe can try something like the mobile-config-firefox from the efforts around mainline linux on mobile phones, like the pinephone.

As Number 5, I can add, that for the top-right menu (volume, brightness, network, …) I can tap to open the menu, but e.g. to disable bluetooth, I can’t open the sub-menu. As soon as I tap on the menu item the menu is closed. (This is somehow similar to the menu situation of point 2)
archives
Did anyone report this already in an issue tracker or did anyone find an upstream reported issue for it?

After I switched from X11 to wayland (edit /etc/gdm/custom.conf, out comment the line “WaylandEnable = false”) some things changed:

Regarding 1: the keyboard works as expected in the login screen and in the lock screen, as well as in other text fields and the terminal.

Regarding 2: I can’t even open the context menu with a long press, … (in one case it work, to open it, but couldn’t reproduce that) The context menu works in the “Web” webbrowser.

Regarding 3: in the list mode for some touch events it works to select a folder, for some it doesn’t. In both views (list and symbols) i need to touch the icon several times or in a different speed/frequency, to open a folder. (the tool tip does not stay on the screen)

Regarding 4: Firefox does currently not open properly and produces strange artifacts. Maybe I miss some library, this has to be some problem with xwayland. I’ve found out, that starting firefox with MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 firefox works (I can’t add a link, search for “setting wayland for Firefox” in the arch forum) and even supports scrolling with the finger moving the page (as one would expect it from a mobile device).

Regarding 5: works as expected.

Now, after I’ve hijacked the topic. I add another issue regarding the usability of manjaro gnome on a tablet device.

Issue 6: how can I have a full ISO-keyboard as on-scree-keyboard (enable buttons like esc, arrow keys, ctrl, …)?

Hi,
I can’t help you much, but there are a couple optional packages for OSK. Caribou is one from the gnome project. Also there are different OSK available as gnome extensions. The mileage of which work and not may differ largely between X and (I’d certainly concentrate efforts on) Wayland.
The Caribou doc states you can create your own keyboard layouts for it. Perhaps that helps for your Issue 6: https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Caribou/NewLayout