Asus_nb_wmi Dual Fan control Asus ROG G53SW

Hello everyone,
I installed Manjaro 2 weeks ago. It’s a great distro and makes things easy to learn about Linux.
I noticed that the laptop fans are not as loud as they used to be in Windows.
I digged into the matter.
Here’s what I see when I type sensors :

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0:  +50.0 °C  (high = +86.0 °C, crit = +100.0 °C)
Core 0:        +50.0 °C  (high = +86.0 °C, crit = +100.0 °C)
Core 1:        +48.0 °C  (high = +86.0 °C, crit = +100.0 °C)
Core 2:        +46.0 °C  (high = +86.0 °C, crit = +100.0 °C)
Core 3:        +45.0 °C  (high = +86.0 °C, crit = +100.0 °C)

acpitz-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
temp1:        +46.0 °C  (crit = +93.0 °C)

asus-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
cpu_fan:     2400 RPM
temp1:        +46.0 °C  

I only see the CPU fan, no GPU fan(my other fan).
When I looked into that, it turns out that the kernel module asus_nb_wmi only allows one fan to function.
What should I do? Is there a way to remove it safely without harming some functionality in the kernel?

Hi!
I have an asus tuff fx 505 and I wasn’t able to read all sensors until kernel 5.6, but even that all my fans worked just fine. What I trying to say is maybe you can’t read de sensor but it doesn’t mean it isn’t working. The best way to make sure of that is in bios.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.
Though your point is valid, but that doesn’t help in controlling the fan speed.
In order to control both fans, I need to do that since I live in a hot country, I need to be able to read both fans.

Have you checked Fan speed control - ArchWiki ?

asus-nb-wmi is a kernel module, which is included in the Linux kernel and is loaded automatically on Asus laptops. It will only allow to control a single fan and if there is a second fan you will not have any controls over it.

asus_fan is a kernel module, which allows to control both fans on some older Asus laptops. It does not work with the most recent models.

1 Like

Hi!
The asus laptops usually have 3 fan modes, Silent,Normal,Full. The 2 first are intelligent, I mean, if your temp up the fan goes faster. You can change between modes with FN+ some F key, the have a fan picture. Did you try them? Are they working?

1 Like

Only the CPU fan is working, but only in silent mode, no matter how high the temperature gets.
The GPU fan is not working at all.
The Fn key is not set to control the fan speed in my laptop model.

Yes I did check the Arch wiki.
I’m asking if I can install asus_fan without harming the system or the hardware.
I’m new to this and I need to be careful.
Thanks

Hi!
Take a look at this thread from the old forum
Asus rog

1 Like

I don’t have issues in Fn key. It works perfectly.
The thread you sent discusses newer models of ROG notebooks. Mine is almost 10 years old.
My Fn key is not set to control the fan speed in my model to begin with, but that doesn’t mean it’s not working.
I think the best solution is the kernel module, but I’m wondering about its safety.

Hi!
I posted that link because it talks about fan control. Doesn’t matter if isn’t the same model, what’s important is if they use the same driver.
About safety, You always need to take precautions when play with temperatures.
1- Always set the fans a little faster than they suppose to for X temp
2- Set the shutdown temp a little lower than it suppose to.
3- Always monitor the temps, even more when you do a heavy work.