[ARM Testing Update] 2023-10-13 - KDE Frameworks, Gnome 45, Firefox, Thunderbird, PipeWire, Qt5

@MarkG_108 “Pinephone Pro doesn’t boot (fixed in latest update)” refers to the kernel issue in the 2023/08/19 update that prevented any boot whatsoever. That was fixed - confirmed on my PinePhone Pro using Phosh. That still works after this update.

The issue you’ve run into seems to be with loading the display on KDE Plasma, which is a different issue. I’ve added it to the wiki as a warning for now until someone can find a fix/workaround. Based on this reply it seems like it might be an upstream package issue.

1 Like

currently we more or less don’t maintain any Plasma-Mobile profile for the Pinephone(Pro). The only supported UI is currently Phosh. Personally I’ve no time to also adopt Plamo

I do not think the “failed to start SDDM” issue is an issue with the sddm package, but a transitive dependency issue, most likely this one:

which is due to the installation having qt5-es2-* packages still installed. Those are no longer maintained and depend on old libraries, which makes SDDM fail to start. The fix:

sudo pacman -Sy qt5-base qt5-declarative qt5-multimedia pyside2

and saying yes to replacing the es2 equivalents.

The issue affects both the PinePhone and the PinePhone Pro, because the profiles for both of those used to install the qt5-es2-* packages by default.

Right. Qt5-es2 packages got dropped.

The default operating system for the PinePhone Pro is Manjaro Linux with KDE Plasma Mobile

https://pine64.org/devices/pinephone_pro/

Hmm. Well, that’s interesting I guess.

This current situation where the operating system that ships with the device is basically unmaintained really needs fixing urgently. And changing what the device ships with is not going to be the answer, considering that many devices have already shipped with Manjaro Plasma Mobile. Both original PinePhone and PinePhone Pro devices.

1 Like