[ARM Stable Update] 2022-12-11 - PlaMo Gear 22.11, Cinnamon 5.6, LXQT 1.2, OpenSSL 3.0 and Kernels

Hello ARM community.

Sorry for the long wait, but this is a huge update in preparation for our 22.12 release!

Image from Linux 9to5

Some highlights:

• Most of our kernels got updated
  • Plasma Mobile Gear updated to 22.11
  • Box64 updated to 2.0.0
  • Cinnamon desktop updated to 5.6
  • LXQT updated to 1.2.0
  • SystemD updated to 252.2
  • OpenSSL updated to 3.0.7
  • Firefox updated to 107.0.1
  • Plasma Frameworks updated to 5.100
  • Plasma updated to 5.26.4
  • LibreOffice updated to 7.4.3
  • Thunderbird updated to 102.5.1
  • Lots of updated packages for our Mobile offerings
  • The regular Python updates
  • And regular updates from upstream

Gnome 43 theme changes

Gnome 43 changes how themes are applied to the system, so when upgrading you might notice something is off with the theming.
We have tried to make it easy to get a pretty good theme going when updating, but it does require a few steps.

1. Install adw-gtk3 and gradience. But you will need to set your own colors in Gradience after it’s installed.
  2. Open Gradience and import this preset (link will follow) and Apply it.
How to get Waydroid working

If you follow these steps, you should have Waydroid working fine.

Remember, Waydroid only works on wayland!

• Install waydroid-image and all it’s dependencies.
  • Run pkexec setup-waydroid.
  • You should now be able to launch Waydroid. The first launch takes a while.
How to use Kodi RPI on Manjaro ARM

If anyone wants to test kodi on the rpi, install these packages:

sudo pacman -S kodi-rpi kodi-rpi-dev kodi-rpi-eventclients kodi-rpi-tools-texturepacker libcec-rpi linux-rpi4 xf86-video-fbdev

Have it set up is to boot straight in to kodi

This means the kodi.service file need to replace whatever login manager you have installed. In my case I would:

sudo systemctl disable lightdm.service
sudo systemctl enable kodi.service

They recommend removing custom configs in config.txt. We ran into an issue if a value was set with gpu_mem=.

My config.txt with a bit of overclocking:

over_voltage=5
arm_freq=2000
#gpu_mem=64     #disable this
initramfs initramfs-linux.img followkernel
kernel=kernel8.img
arm_64bit=1
disable_overscan=1

#enable sound
dtparam=audio=on
hdmi_drive=2

#enable vc4
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d,cma-512
#max_framebuffers=2    #disable cause kodi uses more
disable_fw_kms_setup=1

Some notes:

The default user will be kodi
kodi home directory will be /var/lib/kodi
So put test video in /var/lib/kodi/Videos so you can get to it
after setting up the video directory in kodi.

Upstream Notifications:

Removing python2 from the repositories
https://archlinux.org/news/removing-python2-from-the-repositories/

Older notifications

If you used the Manjaro ARM Installer or is using PinePhone or PineTab, you need to redo your passwords, because of an update to libxcrypt:
Arch Linux - News: Sorting out old password hashes

Chromium will loose sync support in early March:
Arch Linux - News: Chromium losing Sync support in early March

ghostpcl>=9.53.2-2 and ghostxps>=9.53.2-2 updates require manual intervention:
Arch Linux - News: ghostpcl>=9.53.2-2 and ghostxps>=9.53.2-2 updates require manual intervention

The nss and zn_poly packages requires manual intervention:
Arch Linux - News: nss>=3.51.1-1 and lib32-nss>=3.51.1-1 updates require manual intervention
Arch Linux - News: zn_poly 0.9.2-2 update requires manual intervention

The packages hplip and firewalld requires manual intervention:
Arch Linux - News: hplip 3.20.3-2 update requires manual intervention
Arch Linux - News: firewalld>=0.8.1-2 update requires manual intervention

Package changes:

(Sun Dec 11 19:43:07 CET 2022)

• arm-stable community aarch64: 2134 new and 2062 removed package(s)
  • arm-stable core aarch64: 138 new and 140 removed package(s)
  • arm-stable extra aarch64: 1025 new and 1035 removed package(s)
  • arm-stable kde-unstable aarch64: 403 new and 404 removed package(s)

See the full package list here

Testers needed on arm-testing branch

We are in need of testers for our arm-testing and arm-unstable branches.
So if you are adventurous and want newer software quicker, we would love for you to help us test out the new packages in arm-testing branch.

All you have to do to switch to this branch is:

• Run this command to switch branch: sudo pacman-mirrors -aS testing && sudo pacman -Syyu. This will generate a new mirrorlist for you, sync your databases with the new mirror and update your system using the arm-testing branch.

We would then love for you to give feedback in our update posts in #manjaro-arm:arm-testing-updates. That way we can better find and fix bugs, before they hit arm-stable branch. Thank you!

Donation

Please consider supporting Manjaro ARM directly via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Open Collective.
You can also donate to our upstream, which is Arch Linux ARM.

Poll

• No issue, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself. (Please post your solution)
  • Yes i am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)

0 voters

Check if your mirror has already synced:

1 Like

Known Issues and Solutions

This is a wiki post, please edit it when you find a solution to an issue you encountered

2022-11-20

OpenSSL 1.1 library not found

Some applications might still be looking for openssl 1.1.
Solution: Install openssl-1.1 package with sudo pacman -S openssl-1.1.

2022-10-31

Firefox shows wrong colors when playing video on Raspberry Pi 4

Since Mesa 22.2, Firefox has been showing weird colors when playing video on the Raspberry Pi 4. This is caused by an issue in upstream mesa, which was recently fixed.
Fix: Update to mesa 22.2.3-0.1 in the repository, which includes this fix.

Chromium in Wayland crashes with --in-process-gpu

Since Mesa 22.2.0, Chromium running in wayland sessions seems to crash when running with the --in-process-gpu option. Running in X11 seems fine, although it’s slow.
Workaround: Downgrade to mesa 22.1.7 from cache with sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/mesa-22.1.7-*, until the issue is fixed upstream.

2022-10-21

Plasma Mobile Dialer seems to be unreliable

Plasma Dialer 22.09 seems to have issues switching audio profiles and as such might require manual switching. Sometimes audio is completely missing.

Reduced video performance on youtube

Some may encounter reduced video playback performance on YouTube in Firefox with the new Mesa 22.2 drivers.
No workaround at this time.

Old Issues

Phosh crashes when closing apps
An upstream issue results in the Phosh shell to crash when you close the app in the app switcher, with animations turned off.
Fix: Enable animations in Tweaks application

Mouse cursor is slow on Raspberry Pi
Due to a change in the Raspberry Pi kernels upstream, they no longer support FKMS. This can result in slow performance when using the FKMS drivers with the newer Raspberry Pi kernels.
Solution: Open /boot/config.txt, change fkms to kms in the dtoverlay line. Save the file and reboot.

[Waydroid container cannot access internet
Cause: new default waydroid configuration issue, tracked here.

Short-term Solution:

1. create /etc/nftables.d/waydroid.nft with the following contents:
#!/usr/sbin/nft -f
table inet filter {
    chain input {
        iifname "waydroid0" accept comment "Allow incoming network traffic from WayDroid"
    }
    chain forward {
        iifname "waydroid0" accept comment "Allow outgoing network traffic from WayDroid"
        ct state {established, related} counter accept comment "accept established connections"
    }
}
  1. any time you launch waydroid, run the following after it has started:
echo "ip route add default via 192.168.250.1" |sudo waydroid shell

anyone know how to set LXQT wayland-session?

After ARM Stable Update 2022-12-11, I am unable to start chromium browser.
If I try to run ‘chromium’ from a Terminal window, I get:
/usr/lib/chromium/chromium: error while loading shared libraries: libre2.so.9: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hardware is Pinebook Pro:

Operating System: Manjaro-ARM
KDE Plasma Version: 5.26.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.100.0
Qt Version: 5.15.7
Kernel Version: 6.0.12-1-MANJARO-ARM (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 4 × ARM Cortex-A53, 2 × ARM Cortex-A72
Memory: 3.8 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mali-T860
Product Name: Pine64 Pinebook Pro

I found some posts on bbs-archlinux-org from March 2020 with a similar situation.

Based on those posts, the solution that works for me is to create a link:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libre2.so /usr/lib/libre2.so.9

Hopefully a future update will fix this properly

2 Likes

An updated Chromium package has been added to this update, which should fix this issue.

1 Like

It looks like firefox is leaking memory

Starting with this update I had the PinePhone stuck in “off” (or maybe in limbo) mode twice already. It was not responding to the hardware button and I had to remove the battery for it to start again.

Once this happened with no interaction and the other time I initiated a reboot manually.

libnvme.so.1 used by nvme is compiled against libcrypt.so.1.1 instead of libcrypt.so.2.0.0 (as provided by core/openssl).

workaround:
install core/openssl-1.1 to provide the older so version alongside the current one, until nmve is updated

Note: this is specially importante for Pinebook Pro which might not support well higher power mode of NVMe SSDs and needs nvme command to set them to lower power.

I got the update and it works perfectly. Thanks for the quick solution!

What (and when) happened to DP Alternate Mode over USB-C on the Pinebook Pro?

The patches where dropped with the 5.18 kernel, because they didn’t seem to be heading upstream by the author.

Since this update, photos taken by Megapixels with the rear camera of my PinePhone (original/A64 PinePhone Beta Edition) have a green (slightly yellowish green) tint. That tint was not there before this update, nor is it present in the preview (that still has the same reasonable colors as before), yet when I take the picture, it is suddently there.

The front (selfie) camera has the same old yellow tint as always, but now the back camera’s colors are also off.

The color matrix in Megapixels does not seem to have changed, or has it? So it is probably due to the kernel driver?

Actually, the color of the tint depends on the lighting conditions: Under warm white light, it is a yellowish green, under daylight it is cyan. But the colors are always off.

You mean there is no support for video output on PineBook Pro when using upstream kernel?
It’s either use a custom pre-5.18 kernel, or lose video on USB-C?

Yes. There never was support for it in upstream kernel.

Could you point me to the last patches (before removal)? I wonder if I can get them to compile on the current kernels…

The PinePhone camera tint issue is confirmed to be a kernel issue, see:

That bug report contains a possible fix (one commit to revert, and another commit that apparently needs to be reverted and an older version of it cherry-picked to prevent a merge conflict).

See also closed issue Photos saved in green (#59) · Issues · postmarketOS / megapixels · GitLab which links to the above. (The issue was closed because it is a kernel bug, not a Megapixels bug.)

Orange pi 4 LTS minimal. Dont work … finishing first boot … you are stuck at “cleaning install for unwanted files” forewer … with hard reset (after 30 minut wait) you must du initial setup again and you get stuck at cleaning files again.
I testet two diferen SDcard.
22.08 dont even boot stuck at manjaro logo.

XFCE dont work … after finishing setup , reboot and dont boot again :frowning:

EDIT
SWAY 22.12 works :slight_smile: so i start there … hope = NO SWAY no … the install is heavier more bloatware even kde plasma is light over it :smiley:

1 Like