[ARM Stable Update] 2022-02-13 - Thunderbird, LibreOffice, KDE Gear and Kernels

Hello ARM community.

This is a pretty big update as it has everything!

Some highlights:

• Most of our kernels got updated
  • LibreOffice updated to 7.3.0
  • And KDE Gear applications got updated to 21.12.2
  • Thunderbird saw an update to 91.5.1
  • And Firefox updated to 96.0.3
  • Mesa updated to 21.3.5
  • And Element client for Matrix got updated to 1.10.1
  • Lots of updated packages for our Mobile offerings
  • The regular Python updates
  • And regular updates from upstream

How to get Waydroid working

If you follow these steps, you should have Waydroid working fine.

Remember, Waydroid only works on wayland!

• Install waydroid-image and all it’s dependencies.
  • Run pkexec setup-waydroid.
  • You should now be able to launch Waydroid. The first launch takes a while.
How to use Kodi RPI on Manjaro ARM

If anyone wants to test kodi on the rpi, install these packages:

sudo pacman -S kodi-rpi kodi-rpi-dev kodi-rpi-eventclients kodi-rpi-tools-texturepacker libcec-rpi linux-rpi4 xf86-video-fbdev

Have it set up is to boot straight in to kodi

This means the kodi.service file need to replace whatever login manager you have installed. In my case I would:

sudo systemctl disable lightdm.service
sudo systemctl enable kodi.service

They recommend removing custom configs in config.txt. We ran into an issue if a value was set with gpu_mem=.

My config.txt with a bit of overclocking:

over_voltage=5
arm_freq=2000
#gpu_mem=64     #disable this
initramfs initramfs-linux.img followkernel
kernel=kernel8.img
arm_64bit=1
disable_overscan=1

#enable sound
dtparam=audio=on
hdmi_drive=2

#enable vc4
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d,cma-512
#max_framebuffers=2    #disable cause kodi uses more
dtoverlay=rpivid-v4l2
disable_fw_kms_setup=1

Some notes:

The default user will be kodi
kodi home directory will be /var/lib/kodi
So put test video in /var/lib/kodi/Videos so you can get to it
after setting up the video directory in kodi.

Upstream Notifications:

Older notifications

If you used the Manjaro ARM Installer or is using PinePhone or PineTab, you need to redo your passwords, because of an update to libxcrypt:
Arch Linux - News: Sorting out old password hashes

Chromium will loose sync support in early March:
Arch Linux - News: Chromium losing Sync support in early March

ghostpcl>=9.53.2-2 and ghostxps>=9.53.2-2 updates require manual intervention:
Arch Linux - News: ghostpcl>=9.53.2-2 and ghostxps>=9.53.2-2 updates require manual intervention

The nss and zn_poly packages requires manual intervention:
Arch Linux - News: nss>=3.51.1-1 and lib32-nss>=3.51.1-1 updates require manual intervention
Arch Linux - News: zn_poly 0.9.2-2 update requires manual intervention

The packages hplip and firewalld requires manual intervention:
Arch Linux - News: hplip 3.20.3-2 update requires manual intervention
Arch Linux - News: firewalld>=0.8.1-2 update requires manual intervention

Package changes:

(Sun Feb 13 20:19:49 CET 2022)

• arm-stable community aarch64: 775 new and 758 removed package(s)
  • arm-stable core aarch64: 71 new and 69 removed package(s)
  • arm-stable extra aarch64: 896 new and 902 removed package(s)
  • arm-stable kde-unstable aarch64: 394 new and 400 removed package(s)

See the full package list here

Testers needed on arm-testing branch

We are in need of testers for our arm-testing and arm-unstable branches.
So if you are adventurous and want newer software quicker, we would love for you to help us test out the new packages in arm-testing branch.

All you have to do to switch to this branch is:

• Run this command to switch branch: sudo pacman-mirrors -aS testing && sudo pacman -Syyu. This will generate a new mirrorlist for you, sync your databases with the new mirror and update your system using the arm-testing branch.

We would then love for you to give feedback in our update posts in #manjaro-arm:arm-testing-updates. That way we can better find and fix bugs, before they hit arm-stable branch. Thank you!

Donation

Please consider supporting Manjaro ARM directly via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Open Collective.
You can also donate to our upstream, which is Arch Linux ARM.

Poll

• No issue, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself.(Please post your solution)
  • Yes i am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)

0 voters

Check if your mirror has already synced:

1 Like

Known Issues and Solutions

This is a wiki post, please edit it when you find a solution to an issue you encountered

Plasma Mobile - Black screen after update

We are seeing some reports about Plasma Mobile on the PinePhone only showing a black screen after entering the PIN after this update.
Workaround: Downgrade qt5-es2-wayland to 5.15.2+kde+r41 which is now back in Stable and Testing branch repositories.

New Breath theme not applying correctly

With the update to the new Breath theme, a migration package tries to apply the new theme correctly.
However this is not getting done for Plasma’s Lockscreen and the SDDM theme.
So please go through your settings after updating to make sure the themes are correctly applied.
Fix: manjaro-system should take care of this for you.

Plasma Mobile switch to ModemManager

With the PlaMo Gear 21.12 release, Plasma Mobile is now using ModemManager as the telephony stack. So in order to use SIM capabilities, you need to switch from using oFono to ModemManager.
Fix: Run sudo systemctl disable --now ofono ofonoctl && sudo systemctl enable --now ModemManager. You might have to reboot your phone for Plasma Mobile to pick up this change.

Waydroid container cannot access internet

Cause: new default waydroid configuration issue, tracked here.

Short-term Solution:

1. create /etc/nftables.d/waydroid.nft with the following contents:
#!/usr/sbin/nft -f
table inet filter {
    chain input {
        iifname "waydroid0" accept comment "Allow incoming network traffic from WayDroid"
    }
    chain forward {
        iifname "waydroid0" accept comment "Allow outgoing network traffic from WayDroid"
        ct state {established, related} counter accept comment "accept established connections"
    }
}
  1. any time you launch waydroid, run the following after it has started:
echo "ip route add default via 192.168.250.1" |sudo waydroid shell
Old Issues

Plasma Mobile has does not launch after update
This was caused by an error in kwin 5.23.2 which only affects installs based on openGLES (qt5-es2).
Fix: Update to kwin 5.23.2-1.2 or above.

No ethernet on rk3399 boards
A recent kernel regression has resulted in built in ethernet on rk3399 based boards, such as RockPro64 and Rock Pi 4’s, no longer works on kernel 5.14. This is an upstream issue that has not been fixed yet.
Fix: Update to linux-5.14.1-2 or newer.

Vivaldi no longer working
The issue is present in all chrome based browser (except Chromium that got a patch for it).
It’s an issue with systemd-resolved and has been reported in the Arch Linux Bug Tracker.
Needs to be fixed by Vivaldi updates in the future.
Fix: Vivaldi 4.1.2369.21 fixed this issue.

Modemmanager-pp dependency issue
modemmanager-pp 1.16.10 depends on libqmi-pp and libmbim-pp, but they are no longer found in the repo.
Fixed by updated to modemmanager-pp 1.18rc1+2+ga20f2c05-2.

systemd-hook unsuccesful after pacman 6 update
After the pacman 6 update, updates will create this message in the post-transation hooks part:

Running the command manually works and there has been no issues reported as the result of this. This will either get fixed at some point in Pacman or SystemD.
Should be fixed with pacman-6.0.0-4

Keyring issues
If you have some gpg keyring issues, you can run sudo systemctl start pacman-init.service which will regenerate your keyring. Will take a few minutes to complete.
Should be fixed with manjaro-system-20210716-1

Plasma Mobile no longer boots
The current update to qt5-es2-base results in Plasma Mobile no longer booting, showing a screen that says to run a loginctl command to login.
Fixed by updating to qt5-es2-base-5.15.2+kde+r199-3.1 and qt5-es2-declarative-5.15.2+kde+r28-3.1.

Kwin crashes on startup on Pinebook Pro
This seems to be related to Mesa 20.3 and the Pinebook Pro support in kernel 5.10, as this does not seem to happen on other devices.
It does not impact 3d performance as far as I can tell. Just the OpenGL compositing in Kwin.
Fixed with mesa 20.3.2-2.

My VPN no longer connects
OpenVPN 2.5.0 changed how VPN routes work.
Workaround is to downgrade to previous version (2.4.9):

sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/openvpn-2.4.9*

DP Alt Mode no longer works on Pinebook Pro
This is a known issue, the hacky patch we had to enable this has broken in recent kernels.
@tsys and Ayufan are looking into it.
As a workaround you can install linux-pinebookpro again.
FIXED with linux-5.9.12-4 and linux-rc-5.10-rc7-2 and above.

brcm-patchram-plus and pi-blueooth are in conflict
See this post for workaround:
[ARM Testing Update] 2020-11-16 - Bitwarden, Mesa-Git, Pacman and kernels - #10 by Darksky

Plasma Mobile Keyboard
The plasma mobile onscreen keyboard does not work with QT 5.15.0.
This is fixed by updating to kwin 5.19.3-1.1.

PinePhone uboot
This update to the PinePhone Uboot package (2020.04-2), changed how the DTS is loaded from the kernel, since the Kernel DTS for the Pinephone also changed. When doing this update on the PinePhone images from Alpha5 and back, please make this change to the /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf before rebooting:

• sun50i-a64-pinephone.dtb to sun50i-a64-pinephone-1.2.dtb
  • root=LABEL=ROOT to root=LABEL=ROOT_MNJRO

Manual interventions:
The nss and zn_poly packages prior to version 3.51.1-1 and version 0.9.2-2 respectively, were missing a soname link each. This has been fixed in 3.51.1-1 and 0.9.2-2 of these packages, so the upgrade will need to overwrite the untracked files created by ldconfig. If you get any of these errors

nss: /usr/lib/p11-kit-trust.so exists in filesystem
zn_poly: /usr/lib/libzn_poly-0.9.so  exists in filesystem

when updating, use

pacman -Syu --overwrite /usr/lib/p11-kit-trust.so --overwrite /usr/lib/libzn_poly-0.9.so

to perform the upgrade.

Device stopped booting after Uboot update
The uboot update included a change to the extlinux.conf file. This change will be incompatible with the old 1 partition layout of some devices.
So if you are updating installs made with images 20.02.1 or older, you need to apply this fix before rebooting!
To fix this please edit your /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf file and add 2 periods in front of each first slash, like so:

KERNEL ../Image
FDT ../dtbs/ #etc.
APPEND initrd=../initramfs-linux.img #etc.

Save the file and reboot.

Big issues with this update on RPI4, minimal install with Kodi.

I have formated my usb drive, dd the last ISO, then i updated my system and installed kodi as recommended, enable kodi.service, reboot.
My system does not start, lot of errors in journalctl.

Feb 14 21:46:16 looping systemd[486]: pam_systemd(login:session): Failed to release session: Access denied
Feb 14 21:46:16 looping dbus-daemon[298]: [system] Rejected send message, 2 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.11" (uid=974 pid=486 comm="(sd-pam) ") interface="org.freedesktop.login1.Manager" member="Re>
Feb 14 21:46:16 looping systemd[486]: pam_unix(login:session): session closed for user kodi
Feb 14 21:46:16 looping systemd[1]: kodi.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Feb 14 21:46:16 looping systemd[1]: kodi.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Feb 14 21:46:16 looping killall[482]: kodi.bin: no process found
Feb 14 21:46:16 looping kodi-standalone[442]: Something is probably wrong
Feb 14 21:46:16 looping kodi-standalone[442]: /usr/bin/kodi --standalone  has exited in an unclean state 3 times in the last 0 seconds.
Feb 14 21:46:16 looping kodi-standalone[480]: /usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libcec.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Feb 14 21:46:16 looping kodi-standalone[473]: /usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libcec.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Feb 14 21:46:16 looping kodi-standalone[466]: /usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libcec.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Feb 14 21:46:16 looping systemd[1]: systemd-oomd.socket: Failed with result 'trigger-limit-hit'.
Feb 14 21:46:16 looping systemd[1]: systemd-oomd.socket: Trigger limit hit, refusing further activation.
Feb 14 21:46:16 looping systemd[1]: Userspace Out-Of-Memory (OOM) Killer was skipped because of a failed condition check (ConditionPathExists=/proc/pressure/memory).
Feb 14 21:46:16 looping systemd[1]: Userspace Out-Of-Memory (OOM) Killer was skipped because of a failed condition check (ConditionPathExists=/proc/pressure/memory).
Feb 14 21:46:16 looping systemd[446]: Starting D-Bus User Message Bus Socket...
Feb 14 21:46:16 looping systemd[446]: Reached target Timers.
Feb 14 21:46:16 looping systemd[446]: Reached target Paths.
Feb 14 21:46:16 looping systemd[446]: Created slice User Application Slice.
Feb 14 21:46:16 looping systemd[446]: Queued start job for default target Main User Target.

[xxxxxx@looping ~]$ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
dev             758M     0  758M   0% /dev
run             924M  800K  923M   1% /run
/dev/sdb2        14G  2.4G   11G  18% /
tmpfs           924M     0  924M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           924M     0  924M   0% /tmp
/dev/sdb1       214M   53M  161M  25% /boot
tmpfs           185M     0  185M   0% /run/user/1000
top - 21:54:00 up 7 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.11, 0.09, 0.03
Tasks: 123 total,   1 running, 122 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
%Cpu(s):  0.1 us,  0.1 sy,  0.0 ni, 99.8 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st
MiB Mem :   1847.6 total,   1653.3 free,     93.9 used,    100.4 buff/cache
MiB Swap:   2771.3 total,   2771.3 free,      0.0 used.   1725.7 avail Mem

You did install the package kodi-rpi? Looks like you need to install libcec-rpi but in the past kodi-rpi did not depend on it.

systemd-oomd.socket does not work on the pi; might as well disable it.

1 Like

Updated on PinePhone Pro (w/ Plasma Mobile).

Update seemed to go smoothly, except that after some amount of time, the phone screen would go black (whether on lock screen, shell, or app) and then refuse to respond to the power button. Required multiple resets until I was able downgrade the kernel (linux-pinephonepro and linux-pinephonepro-headers) from 5.16.7 back down to 5.16.2-2 from the last update. Since then, the phone has been running smoothly again. So it seems that something’s up with the latest PPP kernel.

Hi there.

Some intro for my fist post. Feel free to skip this part ;). Thanks for a nice Linux flavour :slightly_smiling_face:. I have experience in some distros (mostly Mageia) but very new to Arch based ones. Be gentle please as I have much to learn.

I installed Manjaro nicely on RPI4 SD and then copied it to SSD (only fstab and cmline.txt fix needed). It works mostly really great and fast.

Until this update :frowning: . After reboot ETH doesn’t seem to work but Wi-Fi does. Unfortunately I’m not yet familiar with Manjaro ifconfig, ifup and ifdown CLI equivalents. I’m very open to suggestions.

Ah, yes, libcec-rpi was missing, i really do not know how i missed it.
i disabled systemd-oomd.socket, but, it was enabled by default on a fresh installation

I attempted to update my PI yesterday, however I now get the below error for 87 of the packages that are trying to update.

error: attr: signature from "Arch Linux ARM Build System <builder@archlinuxarm.org>" is unknown trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/attr-2.5.1-2-aarch64.pkg.tar.xz is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).

There appear to be two signatures that I get the error for, however this one is the majority of them.

I use a Manjaro XFCE on a Raspberry Pi 400 and I noticed that there is now a firwall listed in settings and systems. I clicked on it to open it and run it stoped with the following error

How do I correct this and make it work?

sudo systemctl enable firewalld
sudo systemctl start firewalld

1 Like

RPi4, 4 Gig, ManjaroARM, KDE
After updating my customized x11vnc.service was reset to default
Fortunately I had a backup…

If you just change the one from the package, it will likely do that.

Well, this is the first time it happens.

BTW, it seems not limited to ManjaroARM. My laptop has the same issue. (Manjaro XFCE edition)

1 Like

How to prevent this? Rename it?

I would copy the .service file and call it something else, like x11vnc-custom.service. Disable and stop the regular one, then enable and start the custom one.

1 Like

Thanks, will do that

Can we have an update of kodi-rpi after libnfs (4.0.0-4 → 5.0.1-1) ?

/usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libnfs.so.13: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Second question after the removal of tlp there is no replacement by power-profiles-daemon. Is there any use for that for the rpi4 ? (no battery, no standby mode…). Do we need to install power-profiles-daemon and enable the service ?

@tartanpion

New kodi-rpi packages has been pushed to the unstable branch. The caveat is you have to switch to the unstable branch and do a complete update to pull in all lib’s it was built with. It will not boot into kodi in the other branches.

You can then follow back down the branches on each testing/stable update when it happens and drop out and stay on the branch you normally use.

kodi-rpi 19.3-6
kodi-rpi-dev 19.3-6
kodi-rpi-eventclients 19.3-6
kodi-rpi-tools-texturepacker 19.3-6

PiOS does not use any power saving service that I am aware of. I never installed any thing related in the many years before manjaro-arm. I do not use it here.