[ARM Stable Update] 2021-11-06 - Firefox, Thunderbird, Plasma, LibreOffice and Kernels

Seems it was updated by Arch a week ago, to a release candidate:

Updates installed for PHOSH (on SD), but failed for KDE Plasma (on eMMC) on my PinePhone; below is the message in ā€œDiscoverā€:

Dependency resolution failed:
libvpx.so=6-64 <- ffmpeg-pp
libx264.so=161-64 <- ffmpeg-pp: could not satisfy dependencies

Please report this issue to the packagers of your distribution.

Install regular ffmpeg to replace ffmpeg-pp.

I upgraded my Pinebook Pro with KDE. All seems to be ok.
One odd thing is that wifi initialization takes longer than usual.
Before the initialization was so quick, I could immediately start my browser.
Now I see the disconnected icon and after several seconds it will connect to my wifi network.

Nothing serious, but a little odd that it has become so much slower.

Hmmm, does the ā€œ-ppā€ indicate a ā€œPinePhoneā€ specific version?

sudo pacman -Syyu has now completed installing the updates (without conflicts) after I ran sudo pacman -S ffmpeg to switch to the regular ffmpeg

I exited the terminal, rebooted my phone, and now after some intermittent cursor blinking on a black screenā€¦ Iā€™m left at the following message (on a black screen with a mouse icon I can move):

musb-sunxi 1c19000.usb: Invalid or missing 'dr_probe' property
iio iio:device2: failed to read Who_Am-I register.

What steps do I need to follow to resolve this? (I think the need to attach the hub for keyboard access is imminentā€¦ assuming this USB-related issue doesnā€™t prevent that)

EDIT: Just in case, Iā€™ll see if I have another SD I can use to re-flash the eMMC with Jumpdrive - an easy way to install OS on PinePhone and PineTab ā€¦ or is there a way to accomplish that from the PHOSH SD?

EDIT 2: I found there is a manjaro-arm-emmc-flasher tool that I installed under PHOSH (on SD). After reading the manjaro-arm / packages / community / manjaro-arm-emmc-flasher Ā· GitLab notes, Iā€™m uncertain if I need to pull down an image from Releases Ā· manjaro-pinephone/plasma-mobile Ā· GitHub or if the script will take care of that on reboot?

I rebooted to see what would happen, and did not receive any prompts. Is that because (through reading the script) I donā€™t have a pre-downloaded /var/tmp/Manjaro-ARM.img.xz file?

#variables
TMPDIR=/var/tmp
XZIMG=$TMPDIR/Manjaro-ARM.img.xz
IMG=$TMPDIR/Manjaro-ARM.img

Thank you for the info. Iā€™ll wait for the next update and will go back to old faithful Firefox untill then :slight_smile:

Well, yes.
The manjaro-arm-emmc-flasher package was used back in the old days. Itā€™s not used anymore.

You could try manjaro-arm-flasher, which is a GUI tool to flash any Manjaro ARM image onto any device. Just make sure you use a PinePhone image for your PinePhone. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can confirm exact same behavior as appelgriebsch on PineBook Pro w/KDE with this update

Ah, I do appreciate a nice GUI tool :100:

Not sure if it was an alphanumeric list sort issue or if the tool was looking at plasma-mobile-devā€¦ but I couldnā€™t see the recent ā€œBeta 8ā€ build I wanted @ https://github.com/manjaro-pinephone/plasma-mobile/releases/download/beta8/Manjaro-ARM-plasma-mobile-pinephone-beta8.img.xz ā€¦ so I downloaded it manually, installed from the local image, and all is well once again with plasma-mobile loading from the eMMC!

I think for the next while the manjaro-arm-flasher will be my preferred ā€œupdate mechanismā€ until the pinephone becomes my ā€œdaily driverā€, and Iā€™ve settled on PHOSH vs Plasma. I donā€™t have any personal data/files/history on it that Iā€™d miss at this point, and there are so many good configs/defaults/improvements between the builds that I find Iā€™m missing out on by just using the typical ā€œpackage updatesā€.

I have a Pinebook (NOT Pro) with 5.15.0.-2-MANJARO-ARM. After upgrading today (2021/11/08) and rebooting I found a problem with shutting down from the desktop. Lines of messages. I can only shutdown by keeping my finger down on the on/off button. When I start up there are more lines of messages than previously but it does eventually make it to the desktop. Then it functions satisfactorily as before. I am a newcomer to Linux and need somebody to hold my hand, if I am to cure whatever it is that has broken.
Probably not relevant, but a year ago the wifi ceased to function. I bought a TP-LINK dongle and, with that inserted in a USB socket, wifi works again.

Works perfectly on my Pinebook Pro - Thanks!

1 Like

Hello All. My update went smoothly. On Phosh - no major issues, but I am now seeing a bug regarding the megapixels app. Toggling the ISO, then attepmpting to take a picture crashes the app with this error message:

(megapixels:9433): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 21:05:15.858: gtk_widget_is_ancestor: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
megapixels: ../megapixels-1.3.0/src/io_pipeline.c:578: update_state: Assertion `has_changed' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)

Would it be a good idea to remove manjaro-arm-emmc-flasher from the repository?
Or at least update the description that it is deprecated and manjaro-arm-flasher should be used.
Otherwise there will be people that try it by accident.

Yeah, it should probably have itā€™s description altered a bit.

After an (apparently) successful update on a PinePhone 64, on reboot, I get:
A halting gear during the boot up and then:
the device drops into a text screen with 2 line at the top:

[] musb-sunxi 1c19000.usb: Invalid or missing 'dr_mode' property
[] iio iio:device2: failed to read Who-am-i register.

and then hangs. The square brackets contain timestamps.

Any ideas?

I received a kernel update and now the delay with wifi initialization is gone.
Everything working again like it used to. :smiley:

1 Like

I had the exact same issue. Resolved it by reflashing my eMMC with manjaro-arm-flasher.

See my earlier posts above for more details :point_up_2:

1 Like

With this latest Arm-Stable Update with mainline-linux-5.15.1-3 kernel Manjaro-Gnome uses much less RAM on start up now 430-450 RAM compared to previously around 550MB. Impressive. Thanks.

Wifi is also initialized on boot up without delay.

The ā€œBluetooth can no longer be enabledā€ issue can be fixed by pacman -S rtl8723bt-firmware (replacing rtl8723bt-firmware-megi) and rebooting. Thanks to this post on the Pine64 forum, and yes, I have verified that this works.

Please add this to the list of known issues.

Only just managed to find time to try this.

Successfully reflashed from Manjaro-ARM-plasma-mobile-pinephone-20211121.img.xz

However, there is still an update problem as it now claims that there are 30 updates, but the complains about bad GPG signatures.

1 Like