[ARM Stable Update] 2021-10-15 - QT, Firefox, Uboot, Vivaldi and Kernels

Yeah, I also installed the 2 latest updates. And it completely destroys the OS

Stable seems to NOT be stable these days…

I lost mine as well…but thankfully I keep a spare in case of such an event. No upgrades on that one until matters are resolved

Seeing “ERROR: device=‘PARTUUID=‘ not found. Skipping fsck.”

The parameter for PARTUUID is missing from cmdline.txt. Find the parameter in bootcmd.txt-backup and put it in cmdline.txt.

Edit:

This link covers the origin of the failure: I have no sound output through HDMI on 5.10.73-1 or 5.14 or 5.15 - #28 by Darksky

Apparently the upgrade cited installed a new cmdline.txt file but failed to copy over the PARTUUID parameter.

It is tough to search the forum for a solution when all you have is the rootfs prompt.

1 Like

Thanks, this fixed mine from not booting.

I’ve an issue with zig language.

Package available in ARM repo is version 0.7.1-1 (latest stable is 0.8.1 though).
When running zig it errors with:

zig: error while loading shared libraries: libclang-cpp.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(Default) installed version of clang is 12.0.1-1

There seems to be a mismatch of clang used to compile zig and the one available in the repo. Can this be picked up for the next stable release?

Arch Linux ARM only has 0.7.1 available, so it needs to be updated by them first.

https://archlinuxarm.org/packages/aarch64/zig

Congratulations on another release! Just from watching the installer notes, I get the sense that this was a fairly involved one, and not just because of the new kernels.

I just completed the update on my 4GB Pi 4b, and everything appears to be working just fine. It rebooted, at least, with no immediately obvious issues. :wink:

I did notice the rather verbose message during the install about the new cmdline.txt file and the archiving of the old one, so I ran icdiff on them, since I was curious.

Here’s how it changed, in case anyone else was a bit alarmed to see that. :slight_smile:

cat cmdline.txt-backup              # My older, customized file.

root=LABEL=ROOT_MNJRO rw rootwait console=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 selinux=0 plymouth.enable=0 smsc95xx.turbo_mode=N dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 elevator=noop usbhid.mousepoll=8 snd-bcm2835.enable_compat_alsa=0 audit=0 cgroup_enable=memory swapaccount=1 fsck.mode=force fsck.repair=yes
cat cmdline.txt              # New, default file.

cat cmdline.txt
root=PARTUUID=76dfc3d1-02 rw rootwait console=serial0,115200 console=tty3 selinux=0 quiet splash plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles smsc95xx.turbo_mode=N dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 kgdboc=serial0,115200 usbhid.mousepoll=8 audit=0

Some notes/questions re: my specific customizations that didn’t carry over:

1. The cgroup and swapaccount entries were to address errors I was getting from docker info. Specifically, WARNING: No memory limit support and WARNING: No swap limit support. Those have returned now. Is there any reason not to add these entries back?
  2. Likewise, any reason not to use the fsck commands with the new cmdline string? My Pi is not the most stable thing, and I have to hard reset it often enough that I like to check its file system on boot.

I’m also just curious about a few changes:

1. Why the switch from LABELs to PARTUUIDs? I’m assuming without being sure that it’s because LABELs can somehow change, but PARTUUIDs cannot? Is there more to it than that?
  2. I remember the console=serial0 change from a while ago, but not the tty change. Is there any actual change in how the system behaves with this, or does it just address an upstream bug or issue?
  3. ALSA Compatibility String? Why is this no longer necessary?

99% of your questions have been answered here in several sub forms.

Long story short your cmdline.txt was backed up for you to refer to. You can put anything back from it you want EXCEPT snd-bcm2835.enable_compat_alsa=? or you may not have sound.

1 Like