[ARM Stable Update] 2021-02-21 - KDE Frameworks, Firefox, Plymouth and Kernels

On RPI3B, the wlan0 interface doesn’t show up after the update.

Feb 23 15:51:12 neptune2 kernel: brcmfmac: F1 signature read @0x18000000=0x1541a9a6
Feb 23 15:51:12 neptune2 kernel: brcmfmac: brcmf_fw_alloc_request: using brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio for chip BCM43430/1
Feb 23 15:51:12 neptune2 kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver brcmfmac
Feb 23 15:51:12 neptune2 kernel: brcmfmac: brcmf_fw_alloc_request: using brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio for chip BCM43430/1
Feb 23 15:51:12 neptune2 kernel: ieee80211 phy2: brcmf_c_process_clm_blob: clmload (4733 byte file) failed (-52)
Feb 23 15:51:12 neptune2 kernel: ieee80211 phy2: brcmf_c_preinit_dcmds: download CLM blob file failed, -5
Feb 23 15:51:12 neptune2 kernel: ieee80211 phy2: brcmf_bus_started: failed: -5
Feb 23 15:51:12 neptune2 kernel: ieee80211 phy2: brcmf_attach: dongle is not responding: err=-5
Feb 23 15:51:12 neptune2 kernel: brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_firmware_callback: brcmf_attach failed

Downgrading to linux-firmware-20201218.646f159-1 helped, at least the wlan interface is back.
It seems to be related to “brcmfmac43430-sdio.raspberrypi,3-model-b.txt” which is not in the newer package version.

I installed a new kde image today to test on my pi3b and actually the issue is in /usr/lib/firmware/updates/brcm (not /usr/lib/firmware/brcm) with some bad files. I do not have time to make a new firmware package right now as today is grocery day for me.

If any one else has this issue a temp fix:

sudo rm /usr/lib/firmware/updates/brcm/{brcmfmac43430-sdio.bin,brcmfmac43430-sdio.txt}

Then reboot

Side note:

I was really surprised how plasma ran with the pi3b with overclocking.

1 Like

Mine is on Thursdays (the grocery day).
The fix works.
I admit I was hoping for a quick reply, pretty spoiled by your excellent support. :grinning: :smiley: :smile:

2 Likes

Bluetooth seems to start up successfully but finally there is no controller. “systemctl start brcm 43438” starts well but finally fails:

Feb 23 19:26:48 neptune2 systemd[1]: Started Broadcom BCM43438 bluetooth HCI.
Feb 23 19:26:48 neptune2 kernel: Bluetooth: Core ver 2.22
Feb 23 19:26:48 neptune2 kernel: NET: Registered protocol family 31
Feb 23 19:26:48 neptune2 kernel: Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
Feb 23 19:26:48 neptune2 kernel: Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
Feb 23 19:26:48 neptune2 kernel: Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
Feb 23 19:26:48 neptune2 kernel: Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized
Feb 23 19:26:48 neptune2 kernel: Bluetooth: HCI UART driver ver 2.3
Feb 23 19:26:48 neptune2 kernel: Bluetooth: HCI UART protocol H4 registered
Feb 23 19:26:48 neptune2 kernel: Bluetooth: HCI UART protocol Three-wire (H5) registered
Feb 23 19:26:48 neptune2 kernel: Bluetooth: HCI UART protocol Broadcom registered
Feb 23 19:26:48 neptune2 systemd[1]: Starting Load/Save RF Kill Switch Status...
Feb 23 19:26:48 neptune2 systemd[362]: Reached target Bluetooth.
Feb 23 19:26:48 neptune2 systemd[1]: Reached target Bluetooth.
Feb 23 19:26:48 neptune2 systemd[1]: Started Load/Save RF Kill Switch Status.
Feb 23 19:26:50 neptune2 kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: command 0x0c03 tx timeout
Feb 23 19:26:53 neptune2 systemd[1]: systemd-rfkill.service: Succeeded.
Feb 23 19:26:58 neptune2 kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: BCM: Reset failed (-110)
Feb 23 19:27:14 neptune2 systemd[1]: Starting Bluetooth service...

“systemctl start bluetooth” seems to succeed, rfkill shows the device hci0. But “bluetoothctl list” shows no controller.
Btw, brcmfmac and brcmutil are blacklisted (as on my not yet upgraded RPi3B).

You have the wrong bluetooth .service package installed. It has not been in the repo for months.

sudo systemctl disable brcm43438.service
sudo pacman -S -dd  brcm-patchram-plus
sudo systemctl enable attach-bluetooth.service
sudo reboot

Also guessing you have not seen this post to fix an issue with the new raspberrypi-bootloader:

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/new-raspberry-pi-kernels-related-packages/4721/344

The missed conversion to console0 in cmdline.txt was the ultimate culprit.
From a discussion a few months ago it wasn’t quite clear if brcm-patchram is the best way to go (unless BT audio quality matters). This seems to have been decided meanwhile.
For others who run into the same issues when upgrading an older RPi3B here is my summary:

• install brcm-patchram-plus and enable attach-bluetooth.service
  • change ttyAMA0 to serial0 in /boot/cmdline.txt (link in Darksky’s post above)
  • remove any related AUR packages, incl pi-bluetooth

Thanks a lot for the help, and for maintaining Manjaro ARM!

3 Likes

After this update, the headphone jack isn’t functioning (does not show up in sound settings). There is still an option for the earpiece and microphone in the sound settings, but these are not functional. Thus, I cannot hear or talk on a phone call. I am using the pinephone with Manjaro-phosh. Panic!

If anyone has any suggestions, I’m all ears.

Edit: Just tried to record sound through GNOME sound recorder and this works. It seems that it is only calls in which the microphone is not functional

Edit2: I installed PAVUcontrol, opened it, colsed it and now the microphone is recording properly. I still am not getting anything through the headphones though

One of the previous ‘stable updates’ broke TreeSheets (it’s a wxwidgets based application, from AUR, rebuilding it didn’t help, but the glitches are mildly infuriating, you can still using it, if you’re lucky or you don’t need to edit the sheet) without touching it. Today I’ve realized it is even worse with GIMP. I can paste the image, but if I try to select anything on it, the whole screen turns black, starts flickering, then incomplete window elements appears for a moment, then black screen again, and it repeats till I quit GIMP. How on Earth did you broke compatibility with GIMP (and everything non-KDE) probably without touching it?
Who asked for Plymouth?

If you don’t want it, you don’t have to install it.

Sounds like GPU driver related issue to me. Depending on your device the driver gets updated all the time.

Why this GPU driver related issue happen only for some non-KDE applications and not all the time? Looks like library problem for me, but I’ll give you a benefit of the doubt and check different kernel version.
So if you’ve added Plymouth, then video hardware acceleration, HDMI audio and suspend are finished, right? Can’t wait to check them out!

This depends entire on your device.
Video hardware acceleration is in the kernel, but no userspace applications are using it yet. HDMI audio depends on your device. Most of our devices have it it working. Suspend is also depending on your device, although fewer has it working.
Both HDMI audio is a kernel issue, and Suspend is a TF-A issue, so not really something we manage.

I’ve checked out the current linux and linux-headers, the ‘GPU driver’ issue remained, also the Bluetooth was working after turning on but after restart there was no Bluetooth. I’m going back to the linux-pinebookpro and linux-pinebookpro-headers packages.

Yes, I know this, it depends entirely on my Pinebook Pro, no video hardware acceleration, no HDMI audio, suspend that drains battery and now Bluetooth issues, unusable GIMP (and “friends”). Oh, I forget about Night Color and redshift, it never worked. But we finally have Plymouth, yay! But I have to configure it myself or wait for the next update which will turn it on by default or will crash because of my manually added Plymouth.
And now for something completely different, which package (in your opinion) should create symlink named aarch64 pointing to arm64 inside /lib/modules/<kernel>/build/arch/ created by linux-headers package, needed by any dkms module package during kernel install? ‘linux-headers’, ‘dkms’ or every package installing a dkms module?

Confusing question. The linux-headers package when installed creates /usr/lib/modules/uname -r/build so when the package is installed you will find aarch64 here:

/usr/lib/modules/uname -r/build/arch/arm64

This is where the DKMS compiling process will look if it needs that directory.

I removed plymouth because in my personal case, fkms make tearing in chromium/youtube and kms no. Graysky use kms for kodi.config.txt (kodi-rpi/arch) and libreelec too. To consider before setting plymouth/fkms by default.

Sounds like your usecase, differs from what the defaults will give you. You are free to change the system to whatever you want. :slight_smile:

I can confirm the issue with GIMP, just tried it to see if poster issue was local to his system or global. I ran into same issue with flickering and black screen. I have not noticed this issue with any other apps I commonly use (yet), including some non-KDE apps. PineBook Pro using KDE and OpenGL compositor if it matters

It is looking for aarch64 there, not the arm64.

I see now but it will not find it. I ran into that a while back and in either the code or PKGBUILD the ARCH= was set incorrectly with building a DKMS module and had to modify it from aarch64 to arm64.

CARCH="aarch64"
ARCH="arm64"
1 Like

I confirm the issue with Gimp on PineBookPro as well, dmesg gives the following errors:

panfrost ff9a0000.gpu: Unhandled Page fault in AS1 at VA 0x0000000107B49C00
Reason: TODO              
raw fault status: 0x2F002C1 
decoded fault status: SLAVE FAULT 
exception type 0xC1: TRANSLATION_FAULT_LEVEL1
access type 0x2: READ              
source id 0x2F0
panfrost ff9a0000.gpu: gpu sched timeout, js=0, config=0x3301, status=0x8, head=0x75e9840, tail=0x75e9840, sched_job=000000009e5a3d4b

Edit: Downgrading mesa to 20.3.3-1 didn’t fix it.