[ARM Stable Update] 2020-11-24 - Kernels, Phosh, LXQt, Plasma 5.20.3, Frameworks, Bitwarden, UBoot

sudo systemctl disable brcm43438.service
sudo pacman -S -dd brcm-patchram-plus
sudo systemctl enable attach-bluetooth.service

Then do your full upgrade and reboot

The new pi-bluetooth package that dropped the dependacy is also in this stable update but looks like it is has not gotten cleared out of the pacman databse at this point of your update.

4 Likes

I can no longer connect to 2.4GHz WiFi beyond channel 11. Before, there was issue with 802.11n networks, so I’ve set my router to b/g standards. I’ve Pinebook Pro and I’m using linux-pinebookpro kernel with uboot-pinebookpro-bsp. I’ve crda installed previously and WIRELESS_REGDOM=“PL” is uncommented. I can connect to 802.11n networks and channels beyond 11 only using WiFi dongle that’s using rtl8188fu driver installed from AUR. I think it is a firmware issue (from the recent linux-firmware or whatever package containing the firmware for built-in wireless for PBP).

The package for the Wifi in the PBP is called ap6256-firmware and should not have been updated this time around. It was a while ago though.

On the Pinebook Pro:

Edit 3: Good news – it was just in my head. Performance is equivalent to what a fresh install on a fast SD card was. That being said, mesa-git did ultimately result in the initial loss of performance I believe – largely because it crashed kwin and despite reenabling OpenGL detection, I experienced some funky behaviors.

So, I might recommend just sticking with the standard mesa package for now. The update seems great as far as the Pinebook Pro goes. Apologies for the wall of text – it sometimes takes awhile for me to finish doing my self troubleshooting and I get curious if anyone did it first.

Thanks for all of your hard work!

(End edit)

Interestingly, I tried to update to mesa-git. However, I discovered I had worse performance (it seems with Plasma KDE itself). I then went back to the standard mesa package.

I’m still having the same strange issues.

Laggy windows; laggy tooltips (slow to render), lag when drag clicking for the select box on the desktop, black background when logging off, shutting down etc (but not when booting up).

I tried reinstalling plasma, etc, as well as mesa again (as well as the additional packages I had). CPU usage is well within expected ranges – between 0 and 10% on the desktop, with no core pegged.

Memory usage is below 50% as I write this reply.

Hoping I can resolve this without having to try another reimage, heh.

Edit: Well, after posting this, it at least seems like after toggling the Compositor’s rendering back end and reinstalling some related packages… well, it’s at least close to normal. Actions like dragging a box on the desktop still seem a little bit slow, as does the UI on the Package Manager GUI, but it’s at least closer to normal.

I may also just be having a more critical eye after running into an obvious issue not long ago.

Perhaps someone else with a Pinebook Pro can confirm their “smoothness” when doing something like dragging a select box on the desktop?

Edit2: Yea, it’s like I don’t have hardware acceleration on the desktop. Diablo via Devilution still worked fine, for example. I’ll install to an SD card again and compare. Maybe it’s all in my head.

I (perhaps naively) updated Pinephone (not convergence-edition) from Beta 2 (with Phosh) without checking anything beforehand. Was locked out for a while - password no longer accepted… a few reboots and intentionally wrong passwords later the password was accepted again. :woman_shrugging:

seems to be working fine now, thanks for the work!

edit: drh seems to have it figured out: post 11 in the /manjaro-arm-beta3-with-phosh-pinephone/ thread. [can’t link to it unfortunately - new user limits]

Hello, pinebook 11" 1080p owner here.

I’ve flashed manjaro-sway edition some time ago (I think it was 20.06) and I was impressed. It was the most fastest and responsible OS for original/old pinebook I’ve tasted so far. Among other things it could play HW accelerated videos through mpv and chromium worked to my satisfaction (when I consider the performance of the old pinebook).

However after some updates chomium became less usable. Some minor glitches appeared when page was rendered, but after the page was loaded It went ok. The next update leaved the glitches after load, but after tab switching, the page went ok again. And after the previous update (and also this update) the chromium is unusable. See picture.

Has anybody some experience with this kind of bugs, or has any idea how to solve this annoyance?

I’ve tried to turn off HW accelerated 2D rendering in chrome://flags, but it had no effect.

Thanks.

PS: The chromium got worse in time, but HW accelerated video playback through mpv got better after every update. First there were some memory leak induced crashes and 1080p video was not smooth, but now there are clearly less crashes and 1080p video is smooth. Kudos to you all.

Why not use Firefox?

You answered with a question, so let me answer with a joke.

Patient: Doctor, my hand is swollen, red and it hurts badly. I can’t do anything with her. Can you help, please?
Doctor: Why not use left hand?

Jokes aside. I know, that firefox works or exists, but I use firefox only when chromium is not available. Just a matter of preference.

Thank you anyway.

1 Like

Maybe it wasn’t working before, but the router “choosed” to switch to the channel 12 right after the upgrade, malice of inanimate objects.

Hi.
Happy to report that there are no issues so far with the update on my PBP (KDE version)

LXQt 16 also brings some long awaited functions to the PBP

• Brightness settings with keys works
  • There is a new brightness widget for the panel (and it works as well)
  • Together with Kvantum you can set the appearance very easily and very consistent now (I will post something later)
  • A CPU / GPU temperature widget (and yes, that also works) for those endless compile sessions.
  • Works like a charm with Kwin and the smooth Cube desktop switch function
  • Starts up almost instantly after log in

LXQt is really a great desktop environment for the PBP now and a bit more easy on the resources than KDE Plasma (although Plasma is also quite ok nowadays)

------------ EDIT
Here is how to set up LXQT with Manjaro

Thank you all contributors for your efforts, much appreciated!

I’m new to Manjaro, but I’ve been using Debian in different ways for many years, so I’m not a complete newbie :wink: but there’s still some learning left to do regarding “Manjaro-way” of doing all things Linux. I’m liking Sway on PineBook Pro so far, and looking forward to improvements (like functioning suspend :-p) yet to come.

1 Like

Specifically this issue, is for Trusted Firmware - ARM to solve, so it will come in a u-boot update at some point, when it gets developed. :wink:

1 Like

getting loads of 404 mirror errors, how do O update/refresh them?

I think it is:

sudo pacman-mirrors -f5

I entered as you suggested, and all looked good. I tried for an update and still got the message. Do you have any suggestions?

It fixed it for others after my post above. Maybe you left a step out?

Do it in this order:

sudo pacman -Syy
sudo systemctl disable brcm43438.service
sudo pacman -S -dd brcm-patchram-plus
sudo systemctl enable attach-bluetooth.service
sudo pacman -Syu
1 Like

Nailed it! Thanks, your generosity is a blessing for us (especially me).

I applied this update on my pinebook using pamac and system crashed while update the system, making boot kernel panic.

I have needed to reinstall from fresh sd card ;(

I don’t have serial-usb cable to see inside. I buyed one with pinebook pro docking base. XD

I reply to myself…

System crashed because system don’t close correctly and /boot was marked like dirty.

Booting from sd and making a simple fsck over it solves the problem…

N00b for fun and profit! ;(

1 Like