[ARM Stable Update] 2020-10-27 - KDE Plasma, Firefox, Uboots and Kernels

About: youtube-dl -U: RIAA blew up the original repo!

youtube-dl works on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnGVY8ZoW44

It bug on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtLZgm5k4ak

It depends on the url…

1 Like

I have been getting a lot of that in the past few weeks. I guess they have stopped youtube-dl from circumventing.

Actually kernels 5.9 - 5.9.4 are unusable. The same goes to 5.10-rc1.
With 5.10-rc2 I cannot boot the machine.

Maybe switching off webrender would cure the situation but what is the point of going back.

EDIT: Just compiled 5.9.5 - it has panfrost patch and does not leak !!!

You should be able to get updates for youtube-dl using
pip install -U youtube-dl

How did you get PBP deep sleep working? It doesn’t work on mine at all…

I have the same, using qutebrowser. In my case only a reboot will free the used memory.
Is there a workaround? Because this makes my Notebook pretty much unusable, need to reboot all the time to free memory.

I’m a bit afraid of giving directions because the first time I made this the PBP wouldn’t boot and it was a while ago. I solved this by reinstalling which is not a very elegant solution…

Essentially what I did was installing “uboot-pinebookpro-bsp” and, after that, doing the necessary dd.

Found these instructions.

Thanks for pointing me to these instructions.
I did that already, but after some research I found out that sleep/suspend stopped working with this last kernel update, so now again it won’t work for me.
I think we have to wait for another update :slight_smile:

Right now my biggest troubles with this update is the severe memory leaks. Can someone tell me the best way to go back to the previous linux kernel version?

If you have the previous kernel in your cache it’s easy:

sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/<package name you want to install>

I am unable to easily format and initialize my drives (wipe the emmc). There is a mechanical contact that is supposed to disconnect the memories, I want to wipe them, format them and install a partition with grub but I have been unable to do so.Neither can I rewrite the mbr. I have lost my root password which I thought was root, so unless I can re-install I cannot regain root. A circular problem. Otherwise everything works pretty well.

Thank you for the instructions.
So this would be enough?
sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/linux-5.8.14-1-aarch64.pkg.tar.xz
Or do I need to downgrade another package to not break my system?

That should be enough.

Thanks a lot! It worked for me, and for now I got rid of the ram leak issues.

The downside is: No sound any more, not on internal speakers and not on the phone jack.

That’s weird. I have audio on mine.

Are you sure you are up to date?
What’s the output of uname -a?

I have 2 rockpro64 board: one was running ok since (maybe) december 2019 and I was periodically updating it. The 2nd one is a new board (flashed for the first time yesterday from sway release).
They are both in stable release.
But for some reason they both had issue (since the update from yesterday for the 1st one):
The old one was stuck at boot time. Last line was “Booting using the fdt blob at …”
The 2nd board had oops in el0_sync module (internal error). And I also had “Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address”

I dont know what is the issue but the problem disapeared when I put u-boot with tag v2020-07 (I am not sure anymore but I think I had the same issue with v2020.10 tag).
In short I followed these instruction:
https :// wiki . pine64 . org / wiki / ROCKPro64#PCIe_card_issue_and.2For_asynchronous_external_abort_on_flash_read.2Fwrite to build and write uboot but I used v2020-07 tag

Both boards are running ok now.

I am up to date, with only the linux kernel manually downgraded.

uname -a gives
Linux miraculix 5.8.14-1-MANJARO-ARM #1 SMP Wed Oct 7 09:18:37 CEST 2020 aarch64 GNU/Linux

When the next stable update comes in (soon™) you should try the 5.9 kernel again. It has the memory leak fixed.