[ARM Stable Update] 2020-08-13 - Bitwarden, Plasma, SystemD and Kernels

@strit @appelgriebsch @spikerguy Thank you all for taking the time to read my post. I really appreciate all the hard work the developers have put into Manjaro. I will wait patiently as I am confident the issue will get resolved.

Thanks

USB C video out on the Pinebook Pro stopped working after the 5.8 kernel update.

The VIA USB billboard device shows up but Displayport never connects.

Read the posts above you. It’s a known issue. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Edit: i see others are having the same issue. I use external display every day. Please fix it

Hi,

I’m using a pinebook pro with KDE Plasma. I had linux-aarch64 5.7 before the update. After the update i have linux 5.8 now.
The external display is not working anymore. DP-Alt mode.
I had no issues with the external display bevor kernel linux 5.8.

Is this a known issue ? I haven’t seen any infos about it.
Thanks.

Chris

We have notified the patch maintainer. Hopefully we will get a fix for it soon.

4 Likes

Hello ARM users,

Still happy with manjaro ARM on my Dealdig-Boxd6 (clone of a Beelink GT1 Ultimate) with Khadas Vim2 dtb.

System:    Host: Dealdig-Boxd6 Kernel: 5.7.8-1-MANJARO-ARM aarch64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.19.4 
           Distro: Manjaro ARM 
Machine:   Type: ARM Device System: Khadas VIM2 details: N/A 
Battery:   Device-1: hidpp_battery_0 model: Logitech Wireless Mouse M315/M235 charge: 100% (should be ignored) 
           Device-2: hidpp_battery_1 model: Logitech Wireless Keyboard K230 charge: 55% (should be ignored) 
CPU:       Topology: 8-Core (2-Die) model: ARMv8 v8l variant: cortex-a53 bits: 64 type: MCP MCM arch: v8l rev: 4 
           features: Use -f option to see features bogomips: 0 
           Speed: 250 MHz min/max: 100/1512:1000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1000 2: 1000 3: 1000 4: 1000 5: 250 6: 250 7: 250 
           8: 250 
Graphics:  Device-1: meson-gxm-dw-hdmi driver: meson_dw_hdmi v: N/A bus ID: N/A 
           Device-2: meson-gxm-mali driver: panfrost v: kernel bus ID: N/A 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting tty: N/A 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mali T820 (Panfrost) v: 2.1 Mesa 20.3.0-devel (git-dd003abd2f) direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: meson-gxm-dw-hdmi driver: meson_dw_hdmi bus ID: N/A 
           Device-2: gx-sound-card driver: gx_sound_card bus ID: N/A 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.7.8-1-MANJARO-ARM 
Network:   Device-1: meson-gxbb-dwmac driver: meson8b_dwmac v: N/A port: N/A bus ID: N/A 
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
           Device-2: pwm-clock driver: pwm_clock v: N/A port: N/A bus ID: N/A 
           IF-ID-1: ip6tnl0 state: down mac: <filter> 
           IF-ID-2: wlan0 state: down mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 28.91 GiB used: 12.04 GiB (41.7%) 
           ID-1: /dev/mmcblk1 model: SLD32G size: 28.91 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 27.45 GiB used: 11.98 GiB (43.6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/mmcblk1p2 
           ID-2: /boot size: 243.7 MiB used: 64.2 MiB (26.3%) fs: vfat dev: /dev/mmcblk1p1 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: N/A mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 0 
Info:      Processes: 250 Uptime: 11m Memory: 2.68 GiB used: 1.08 GiB (40.2%) Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 Shell: bash 
           v: 5.0.17 inxi: 3.0.37 

What works: ethernet, wlan, bluetooth, emmc.
Panfrost support is getting better and better.

Thanks to the Manjaro ARM devs and Alyssa Rosenzweig!

2 Likes

Hello. I’m trying to avoid any problems with my pending, fat update. I’m not sure if this affects me, but considering that I can’t find the “/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf file”, then am I good to go? Thank you.

What device is it and what version did you install from?

It is an HP laptop, multiple partition scheme, dual-boot Manjaro-Windows, uefi, and I really don’t remember what my installation version was, I have some evidence from an archived post that it could be 20.04.x, but I can’t be 100% sure (is there some way to find out?)

This thread is for ARM devices. :slight_smile: You should post in [Stable Update] 2020-08-16 - Kernels, Plasma, KDE Framework, Systemd, Pamac, VirtualBox, Firefox.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry. I’m a newbie. :slight_smile:

Hello, D-bus doesn’t start anymore. Mousepad doesn’t start anymore and LibreOffice lose the menu bar.

In 20.06 and in the update 20.08, systemd-networkd-wait-online fails to start, and network manager doesn’t start automatically. I can start network manager manually.

I think I will reinstall when the kernel patch for USB-C to HDMI will be released, it will be easier.

1 Like

@regivanx I had the same network manager problem after a post-update restart. I manually started it, refreshed mirrors, and the problem did not return.

After I read that your libreoffice bar was missing, I started office and confirm mine is missing too. I will try to remove and reinstall office to see if it fixes it.

FWIW, I’m not too savvy at error logs and such as I’m still learning.

You have 2 network services trying to fight doing the same thing. This should not be enabled when using Network Manager.

sudo systemctl disable systemd-networkd
sudo systemctl disable systemd-networkd.socket

reboot

2 Likes

Other bug: Chromium is no longer able to play two videos at the same time … the sound device is busy. Cannot play sound from videos at all with vlc or mpv. Perhaps D-Bus?

I’m confused… (shock horror)…

Did the PBP not get a kernel/OS bump also (or perhaps my system is broken after one too many updates)?

Screenfetch
                             pfeerick@pinebookpro
                             Kernel: aarch64 Linux 5.7.0-3-MANJARO-ARM
         #####               Uptime: 13m
        #######              Packages: Unknown
        ##O#O##              Shell: bash 5.0.17
        #######              Resolution: 1920x1080
      ###########            DE: KDE 5.71.0 / Plasma 5.19.3
     #############           WM: KWin
    ###############          GTK Theme: Breeze [GTK2], Breath-Dark [GTK3]
    ################         Icon Theme: breath2-dark
   #################         Disk: 14G / 117G (13%)
 #####################       CPU: Unknown @ 6x 1.416GHz
 #####################       GPU: 
   #################         RAM: 897MiB / 3794MiB

As I’m up to date

pacman
[pfeerick@pinebookpro ~]$ sudo pacman -Syyu
[sudo] password for pfeerick: 
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                              218.4 KiB   950 KiB/s 00:00 [############################################] 100%
 extra                                               2.3 MiB  2.02 MiB/s 00:01 [############################################] 100%
 community                                           5.2 MiB  2.88 MiB/s 00:02 [############################################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
 there is nothing to do

And see that there is an image for 20.08 for the pbp…

I suppose this is my excuse to try out the NVMe-ready SPI uboot, and write the new image to the NVMe drive… what can go wrong? :laughing:

You might be connected to an out of date mirror.

Try sudo pacman-mirrors -f5 && sudo pacman -Syyu. That should get you a new mirror and updates to kernel 5.8.

That’s what I thought also. I tried updating last night, and got a decent number of updates, but it was probably the July updates as I haven’t had the PBP on for a few weeks. I think there is something going on the with the AU mirrors atm as my desktop needed a new mirrorlist for this months updates also.

[pfeerick@pinebookpro ~]$ pacman-mirrors --status
Local mirror status for arm-stable branch
Mirror #1   --  693:20  Australia  http://manjaro.mirror.serversaustralia.com.au/
[pfeerick@pinebookpro ~]$ sudo pacman-mirrors -f5 && sudo pacman -Syyu
[sudo] password for pfeerick: 
::INFO Downloading mirrors from repo.manjaro.org
::INFO Using custom mirror file
::INFO Querying mirrors - This may take some time
  0.472 Australia      : http://manjaro.mirror.serversaustralia.com.au/
::INFO Writing mirror list
::Australia       : http://manjaro.mirror.serversaustralia.com.au/arm-stable/$repo/$arch
::INFO Mirror list generated and saved to: /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                              218.4 KiB   910 KiB/s 00:00 [############################################] 100%
 extra                                               2.3 MiB  1343 KiB/s 00:02 [############################################] 100%
 community                                           5.2 MiB  1750 KiB/s 00:03 [############################################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
 there is nothing to do

Okay, try sudo pacman-mirrors -c all && sudo pacman -Syyu to “reset” your mirrorlist to using all mirrors.

As you can see on the repo status page your mirrors has been out of date for at least 600 hours. I suggest picking a mirror in another region.

1 Like

In progress of scanning mirrors now. Thanks :wink: Dammit… BOTH the AU servers are now MIA.

Edit: That fixed it. Coffee sent!