Ark 7zip and zip compression not working properly and crashing Dolphin

Latest Stable delivered latest KDE Gear (released by KDE on 7 Oct) and latest KDE Frameworks (released by KDE on 9 Oct). I’m never sure the two are compatible. Latest KDE Plasma is on a different release cycle and will be delivered soon on Manjaro.

On a non-rolling distro these three components of KDE would be better coordinated. This could be achieved on Manjaro too, since it is not truly “rolling”.

Alright. You mean I should open Ark and then add in folders. I will try it, but even if it works, I would not consider it a solution. It is more of a workaround, yes?

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=442774

3 Likes

Exactly, yes.

Until it is fixed in Dolphin upstream.

There is currently a bug report about this issue filed against Dolphin version 21.11.70.

We the Manjaro Stable users are currently on Dolphin version 21.08.2.

EDIT: Just saw @flux’s reply above. That’s the bug report I was referring to. :slight_smile:

Notice too that KDE Neon Unstable appears to have Frameworks 5.86.0 (we have 5.87.0), and Qt 5.15.3 (we have 5.15.2).

I just feel that it these incompatibilities with what KDE is doing, that results in the regular breakages you have observed recently.

1 Like

Who would be responsible for “coordinating” the KDE desktop updates to flow in tandem? The distro or upstream KDE? Why not only make available the packages that are developed / meant for each other?

Is it even feasible?

Your workaround did work. However, I found that previously I could extract .rar files with right click and Extract Here option. That is not working either as it reads “Make Sure you Have enough Space”. So it is definitely an issue with Ark, Dolphin and KDE’s update or something.

Oh, the distro (definitely). But there are conflicting interests. Manjaro (via Arch) caters for developers, who will want the latest Frameworks. However I suspect most Manjaro Stable users just want a stable desktop with all the latest features, which for KDE means the latest Plasma and the latest Gear.

So maybe Frameworks (and Qt) could be held back on say Manjaro Unstable.

EDIT: The Gear packages are built by Arch against the latest Frameworks, so Manjaro would have to maintain the packages themselves - which is very unlikely!

Dang, that’s a bummer. :confused:

I just stumbled upon another new Dolphin bug (unrelated to this issue, so I won’t go off topic.)

I can reproduce it (mostly) consistently on my end, but I’m thinking of writing out a new thread to ask if others face the same bug. It requires a CIFS network share, however. (The bug only exists when using Dolphin to browse files in a network share.)

Interestingly I can’t reproduce this on Fedora, only Manjaro.

Versions on Fedora:

Dolphin: 21.08.0
KDE Plasma Version: 5.22.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.87.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2

It might be another KDE software that Dolphin relies on, since I tried with Dolphin 21.08.0 and even 21.07.90, which results in the same bug. (Using the downgrade tool.)

So it might be another KDE package in the latest Manjaro stable updates that is triggering this bug.

Could it be a problem with Ark and Dolphin? I am saying this because .rar extraction is also not working.

kparts looks a likely candidate - updated to 5.87.0 with Frameworks. It looks to be the glue between dolphin and ark (required by both).

Just tried on Plasma 5.23.1 (Testing branch), and I’m afraid the problem as reported by @attishno1 remains. I use Wayland and he uses X11.

So this means it will take several months for this issue to be solved if at all?

Well it’s a crash, it’s been properly reported and confirmed, and it’s easy to reproduce …I would hope KDE will fix it quite quickly.

You could add a comment to the bug report saying this is important functionality - but you would need register.

Understood. Thank you.

Bug was introduced from Ark version 21.08.1 → 21.08.2

I downgraded only the ark package to 21.08.1, and it no longer crashes nor errors out nor stalls when compressing anything from Dolphin’s right-click context menu. :white_check_mark:

However, it reveals another underlying bug that was recently introduced into Dolphin/Ark: a new instance of Dolphin is launched when the compression completes. :warning: (I have seen this other bug report myself, and it is supposedly fixed in version 21.12.x.

EDIT: Yet with either version of Ark, compressing new archives from Ark itself (not using Dolphin’s context menu) works fine.

EDIT 2: To be more clear about the “fix”, if it truly will address both issues with Dolphin/Ark, we might not see it until December of this year. I believe KDE uses calendar versioning for some of its software in the form of YY.MM, which means Dolphin/Ark version 21.12 is likely to be released in December 2021.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=440663

3 Likes

Hello! Now I’m with you also! :slight_smile: If to press on stop btn I have

systemd-coredump[22685]: [🡕] Process 1110 (plasmashell) of user 1000 dumped core.
Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.23.1
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.87.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.15.0-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland

May be the more bug report the more understandable the issue? We have a bit different ways to think/describe, skills in English so desc will be lighted up will be from different points of view and we could have a bit different configurations (also kernels) so bug triggers could be a bit different, which also light up the case at different angle.

Also that that all 2 link in the thread:

Reported: 2021-08-06 12:56 UTC by Patrick Silva

Reported: 2021-09-21 12:15 UTC by Patrick Silva

So that reported triggers was not caused by the

Today it is

KDE Plasma Version: 5.23.1

but was reported on

Qt Version: 5.15.3
Frameworks Version: 5.86.0
Operating System: Linux 5.11.0-34-generic x86_64
Windowing System: Wayland
Distribution: KDE neon Unstable Edition
DrKonqi: 5.23.80 [CoredumpBackend]

and

KDE Plasma Version: 5.22.80

WHILE WE DIDN’T HAVE THAT ISSUE ON THAT TIME and environment.

So we are waiting for a fixes of non-our cases. :upside_down_face: Than… let’s report ours at last!

This makes this much more clear - not an Ark bug, but rather a bug in the newish feature of ark-dolphin integration.

PS - I also wonder about folks results with/without the 7zip plugin installed … how does it work with regular zips then? there are old bugs about these interacting weird.