Are there any other differences between commands in Ubuntu’s terminal and Manjaro’s terminal?

Hello, I switched from Windows to Linux few months ago, and I have been strictly using Ubuntu or his derivates. That way I learned working in Ubuntu terminal, which I am not affraid of (doing things there instead in gui) since I am technical guy and I understand the power of the shell. I just have to ask, aside from package manager difference apt → pacman, are there any other differences between commands in Ubuntu’s terminal and Manjaro’s terminal?

For now I am satisfied with Manjaro and it’s flawless implementation of KDE Plasma (which I had to configue a lot when installing it on Ubuntu, where I had some strange screen flickers/lagging).

you can see this
pacman/Rosetta - ArchWiki

check info with inxi -Fza ( there is more options )

apt is easy to understand, but command typing is slower than pacman.
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade = pacman -Syu

pacman has more features than apt.

Edit: pacman + AUR + understandable options = pamac

2 Likes

No one wrote that pamac is supposed to be Manjaro’s “official” package manager, (which includes handling of AUR packages) not pacman :grin:

pamac's syntax is closer to what you are used to, though many are using pacman due to their previous habit in Arch, or because sometimes you need something more powerful/granular.

as long as you need to do something from terminal of course there will be differences with other commands as well, mkinitcpio for building your initramfs for example, other tools like pactree, building packages from the AUR with makepkg, updating your mirrors with pacman-mirrors, unique ones who handle your GPU/kernel drivers like mhwd and mhwd-kernel etc, etc.

2 Likes

And this :point_up: is why I always recommend pamac for Manjaro.

Short version: because it’s made for Manjaro, by Manjaro.

5 Likes

No. If a package/program comes as a cli binary, it’ll be the same on Ubuntu and on Manjaro. Manjaro’s version is potentially newer and some things might change (added/deprecated/removed features), but that depends on the command and the developers of said programs.

This is partly relevant. Partly, because Manjaro is based on Arch, but still different than Arch.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Arch_compared_to_other_distributions#Ubuntu

Thanks all for the responses.