Architect Installation (Disk Partition)

I have learned how to create root bios disk where the OS will be installed but I have another SSD disk and I want to use it as /home.
So, which partition type i should choose for make it /home (there are too many strange named types and I don’t understand.) They are:
'c’fdisk (BIOS)
'c’gdisk (UEFI)
'f’disk (BIOS & UEFI)
'g’disk (UEFI)
'p’arted (BIOS & UEFI)

What’s a “root bios disk”? Do you mean the root partition? And if so, did you also create the partition table as GPT, and did you create a 512-MiB EFI system partition in FAT32?

/home should be on a partition of type linux native, and should be formatted with a native filesystem such as ext4 or btrfs.

Those are not partition types. They are partition managers for creating, managing and deleting partitions.

If your system boots up in UEFI mode ─ in which case you should for good measure disable CSM (legacy BIOS compatibility) in the firmware settings ─ then I would advise gdisk or parted. Alternatively, there are bootable live images with gparted, which is a GTK-based GUI version of parted.

Note: If you have less than 16 GiB of RAM, then I’d recommend creating a swap partition as well. Its size should be about the size of your RAM, but if you plan on hibernating the machine, then I’d make that twice the size of your RAM.

1 Like

I didn’t create a table as GPT but If I just go for Automatic Partitioning, will it be created?
If not, can you please tell me how to create swap and 512MB EFI system partitions on root ?

That depends on the partitioning tool, and whether your system boots in native UEFI mode or in legacy BIOS compatibility mode.

If your system boots in legacy BIOS mode, then you can choose either a traditional MS-DOS-style MBR partition table, which can hold up to four primary partitions, one of which can be an extended partition container that contains logical partitions, starting with /dev/sda5 ─ assuming that the drive itself is /dev/sda ─ or a GPT (GUID partition table).

GPT is more modern and more robust, but a little more complicated, because in combination with a legacy BIOS boot, you would then need an unformatted partition of type bios-grub, about 2 MiB in size, and marked with the boot flag. This is needed because the legacy BIOS boot version of GRUB would otherwise overwrite partition boundaries.

If your system boots in UEFI mode, then you need to create the partition table as GPT, but then instead of a bios-grub partition, you need an EFI system partition of about 512 MiB in size, formatted as vfat (FAT32), and with the boot and esp flags set. This partition will be used by the EFI boot manager for booting multiple operating systems. Even if your machine has only one operating system, you still need it ─ provided that the machine boots in UEFI-native mode, of course.

If the machine has an UEFI firmware and it is set to support both UEFI boot and legacy BIOS boot (CSM), then the results will be unpredictable, because many UEFI implementations will then attempt to boot in legacy BIOS mode first. So it is best to disable CSM.

You should also disable Windows Fast Boot and Secure Boot.

2 Likes

“Manjaro Architect Installer v0.9.33 - UEFI (x86_64)”
This title is on the top left and that (probably) means i should go for your guide’s “If your system bots in UEFI mode” part.
Btw thank you so much for your time and your beautiful and detailed answers.

1 Like

Sorry for the interruption but I have struggling with partitioning for about six hours and couldn’t do anything.
That is because while I’m using cgdisk, I couldn’t find any code for “boot” as you said or “uefi boot” or something like that and I didn’t know how to add a flag like esp and boot. And while using gdisk, there was a different format for the space size and also there was “first sector second sector”
At the end I couldn’t assign flags for EFI partition and creating a swap file. (There was even a error at the end of “Securely Wipe Disk” option wiping the disk with using “wipe”)
What do you suggest? Is there a guide that I can learn how to use these partition managers, tools or I can follow?

Life hack: don’t use the terminal partitioning tools. Just do your partitioning with gparted or gnome-disks. This is the reason why it is recommended to use manjaro-architect from the graphical isos. It comes bundled with all the Manjaro isos.

If you still want to use the command line utilities, here are some tutorials:

https://www.thegeekdiary.com/understanding-linux-cfdisk-utility/

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GPT_fdisk

1 Like

How can I set flags for EFI system partition?
I create a 512M EFI system partition by using gdisk but I didn’t see anyhting for seetting flags

Partition type EF00.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/EFI_system_partition#GPT_partitioned_disks

1 Like

Thats all set and OK.
These flags did automaticly set i checked it from gparted
Now i have the DE screen and my installation story finally ends up happy :smiley:
Thank you for all your help.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.