Application Launcher to respect submenus?

Is there any way to get the “Application Launcher” to respect submenus, like the “Applacation Menu” does? In my example you can see the category “Multimedia” is overpopulated in the “Application Launcher”, but if I open the “Aplication Menu”, there are submenus and much easier to navigate in.

Menu opened in “Application Launcher”:

Menu opened in “Application Menu”:

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.23.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.88.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.15.2-2-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Memory: 31,2 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics 630

I also noticed after a recent update that it stopped recognising my sub-menus, anyway I’m pretty sure it’s a bug but I haven’t look to hard to see if it’s been reported https://bugs.kde.org, (I assume it has, since the last few times I reported bugs that seem pretty obvious they ended up being duplicates), I’ll just wait for it to get fixed but in the meantime I decided on using Application menu since it works as intended.

Okay, so I found this https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=443742

Nate Graham
2021-10-14 22:30:29 UTC
Not showing the nesting is intentional; we got user complaints that showing the nesting required unnecessarily fiddly navigation. If you’re the kind of person who likes it, then Kicker (Application Menu) may be better for you.
Showing apps in alphabetical order is likewise intentional, though you may have a point. We can use the bug to track that.

I don’t know about you but I guess I’ll stick with using Application Menu from now on.

You can also use any other launcher you can find that works different/better for you.
In this specific example … maybe you would like Legacy Kickoff

Thanks, yes I am aware of that launcher, but it’s basically on life support and I prefer to use something officially supported. Using the more traditional Application Menu doesn’t actually bother me.

Well, after reading the comments on the above post I hope that there will be an option in the “Application Launcher” configuration settings for having submenus in a future version.

1 Like