AppImage not working - App opens for around 2-3 seconds the closes

Hi.

I tried running “timedoctor-desktop_3.12.13_linux-x86_64.AppImage” but it only opens for few seconds and just closes. I tried running via terminal and below is what I saw:

./timedoctor-desktop_3.12.13_linux-x86_64.AppImage
(electron) 'getName function' is deprecated and will be removed. Please use 'name property' instead.
Fontconfig warning: "/usr/share/fontconfig/conf.avail/05-reset-dirs-sample.conf", line 6: unknown element "reset-dirs"
This error originated either by throwing inside of an async function without a catch block, or by rejecting a promise which was not handled with .catch(). The promise rejected with the reason:
Error: mojo result not ok
This error originated either by throwing inside of an async function without a catch block, or by rejecting a promise which was not handled with .catch(). The promise rejected with the reason:
Checking for update
[11504:0307/085806.502924:FATAL:gpu_data_manager_impl_private.cc(986)] The display compositor is frequently crashing. Goodbye.
Failed to generate minidump.zsh: illegal hardware instruction (core dumped)  ./timedoctor-desktop_3.12.13_linux-x86_64.AppImage

Below is some of my laptop info:

inxi
CPU: 6-core AMD Ryzen 5 4500U with Radeon Graphics (-MCP-)
speed/min/max: 1557/1400/2375 MHz Kernel: 5.15.21-1-MANJARO x86_64

I downloaded the app at “timedoctor . com/tdc/download . html” (I changed the format here because I saw an error that I can’t use links. Just remove the spaces).

Any idea what the issue is?

Thanks.

Hello,

Did you manually edited that file?
This is what should contain:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "urn:fontconfig:fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
  <description>Re-define fonts dirs sample</description>

<reset-dirs />
  <dir prefix="xdg">fonts</dir>

</fontconfig>

On the other hand, with this

Use --no-sandbox when starting the AppImage from terminal …

Hi.
I didn’t manually edit the file. I opened it and looks like the content is the same.
I tried the “no sandbox” option but it still didn’t load the TimeDoctor UI properly. I wish I could attach a file.
I noticed that there are QT5 and QT6 configuration. I forgot the exact name. I don’t have the laptop while writing this reply. Is it possible to disable QT6 without uninstalling it? I think TimeDoctor is using QT5.

I can reproduce these errors but …

…not this beacuse as suggested by @bogdancovaciu, it loads without any issues with the --no-sandbox flag:

./timedoctor-desktop_3.12.13_linux-x86_64.AppImage --no-sandbox
Screenshot

[HowTo] post screenshots and links

Error not related to QT at all.

Thanks for taking time to reply.
Do you think this is a TimeDoctor issue?

No, this is something else. Try deleting its local cache, and run it again using the flag --disable-gpu-sandbox

You can amend its desktop shortcut in /home/username/.local/share/application adding to the following line:

[Desktop Entry]
Exec=nohup bash -c "/path/to/program.AppImage --disable-gpu-sandbox" %U

In this way nohup will hide the terminal output (but still export a log to ~/nohup.out, and you’ll have the app run seamlessly with the flag. You can use that .desktop launcher to autorun on system startup, or to create an icon on your desktop.