[APP] - mntray - Manjaro announcements tray app (deprecated)

Continuation of https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/t/mntray-manjaro-announcements-tray-app/

mntray

A Manjaro Linux announcements notification app

A small app which informs about announcements from manjaro.
It creates a tray icon with a menu showing the latest announcements from the Manjaro forum RSS feed.

Announcements are retrieved from a http server (see mnserver) via post request.

This project is based on Qt and the Qt binding package for golang.
In order to run this app the qt5-base package needs to be installed on your system.

Forum member @Frog made a nice introduction video :smiley: about mntray and explains some features.
Have a look…

23 Likes

Great little app, thanks for this :+1::+1:

1 Like

I noticed now with the new forum, due to the restructuring, the ARM news are not crawled anymore.
Will fix that this weekend.

Also for the twitter news I think I found a solution (which should also be implemented this weekend).

atm I cannot compile with qt 5.15 to make any changes to the client (the qt binding just does not work with that version yet; should be fixed soon looking at the comments from the developer though) ,

Anyways those two things mentioned above can be fixed server side.

Still considering the switch to vala/gtk3. We’ll see. I don’t have too much time to dig into it atm.

1 Like

ARM announcements and Twitter posts should be working again.

Twitter implementation is still a bit hacky (it works but I don’t like how it does things :wink: )
Working on that tomorrow.

1 Like

New version has been released.
Finally the qt binding is able to deal with qt 5.15 and I can compile again :smiley:

I’ve fix the categories which can be selected according to the new forum layout.

Could someone update the package? @nightmare-2021 @Strit

PKGBUILD v1.1.2
# Maintainer: Mario Oenning <mo-son[at]mailbox[dot]org>
# Maintainer: Helmut Stult  <helmut[at]manjaro[dot]org>

pkgname=mntray
pkgver=1.1.2
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A Manjaro Linux announcements notification app"
arch=('x86_64' 'aarch64')
url="https://github.com/moson-mo/mntray"
license=('MIT')
depends=('qt5-base' 'qt5-declarative')
conflicts=("${pkgname}")
options=(!strip)
source_x86_64=("$url/releases/download/v$pkgver/${pkgname}-linux-x64-v$pkgver.tar.gz"
        "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/moson-mo/${pkgname}/master/LICENSE.md")   
source_aarch64=("$url/releases/download/v$pkgver/${pkgname}-linux-arm64-v$pkgver.tar.gz"

sha256sums_x86_64=('1ff28beed6e7cfbc70198dcf3fbeb37a8299c13b4ccf0bf886733392f16dd711'
                   '7464e5e1670895c267a2951820f166972dab35d6869d4fcf7c68668eccfdfeb6')
sha256sums_aarch64=('8b674581fb549ec6f6a77b214dd24fde1ca1146d8053a0e695b09dd5fe6a62c3'

package() {
	install -Dm755 "${pkgname}" "$pkgdir/usr/bin/${pkgname}"
	install -Dm644 LICENSE.md "$pkgdir/usr/share/licenses/LICENSE.md"

install -Dm644 ${pkgname}.png "$pkgdir/usr/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/apps/${pkgname}.png"
    install -Dm644 ${pkgname}.desktop "$pkgdir/usr/share/applications/${pkgname}.desktop"
    install -Dm644 ${pkgname}.desktop "$pkgdir/etc/xdg/autostart/${pkgname}.desktop"
    install -Dm644 ${pkgname}-regular.png "$pkgdir/usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/status/${pkgname}-regular.png"
    install -Dm644 ${pkgname}-news.png "$pkgdir/usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/status/${pkgname}-news.png"
}

Thanks,
MO

1 Like

1.1.2 uploaded to arm-unstable. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So I set this to hide unless there’s something new, but I’ve decided I want the tray icon back now, and I can’t figure out how to get it back. Is there a way to get it back without waiting for a new news item?

You can open it from your menu. :slight_smile:

Hmm, when I do that, it just pops up on the taskbar then immediately goes away again.

That hide option does not work well on some DE’s.

You can do the following:

killall mntray

Afertwards edit ~/.config/mntray/settings.json

Change HideNoNews parameter to false:

"HideNoNews": false,

Save and then start mntray again.

2 Likes

did it! thank you!

1 Like

I have the opposite problem: I have disabled mntray’s startup option, but it still launches automatically. I’ve had too many issues in Linux after uninstalling distro packages in the past, so I don’t want to uninstall mntray.

1 Like

Hmm, looks like an autostart file was added in the package.

@Strit any idea why it was added? mntray itself places a file in the users ~/.config/autostart directory.
Now with this there are two autostarts, one system-wide and one user specific… (hence autostart can not be really deactivated anymore from the app settings since the global one still remains).

@FroyoXSG please run

sudo rm /etc/xdg/autostart/mntray.desktop

to remove the global autostart file. That should fix it.

1 Like

Probably to have it show on the first boot, without the user having to start it first.

Yeah, I see the point. Seems it’s shipped preinstalled with some ISO’s as well now. :star_struck: Like gnome (and arm ones?) in which case it makes sense.

If a user installs it manually I would expect him/her to run it immediatey as well though (which would then create the user autostart entry)

Could it maybe be changed so that the global one is not created and then add it to manjaro-settings… packages in skel instead (as it is done with manjaro-hello…)

Otherwise the autostart setting within the app is useless and it can’t be deactivated from setting (also it tries to start twice then i guess)

Does that make sense / any other ideas?

@Strit Nevermind. I will change that in the program.
Instead of deleting the autostart file in the user config folder I can set an option “Hidden=true”.
That way it will work as intended since the user file takes precedence over global one.

@nightmare-2021 @Strit
I’ve fixed the autostart issue with 1.1.3.
Could someone update the package?

PKGBUILD v1.1.3
# Maintainer: Mario Oenning <mo-son[at]mailbox[dot]org>
# Maintainer: Helmut Stult  <helmut[at]manjaro[dot]org>

pkgname=mntray
pkgver=1.1.3
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A Manjaro Linux announcements notification app"
arch=('x86_64' 'aarch64')
url="https://github.com/moson-mo/mntray"
license=('MIT')
depends=('qt5-base' 'qt5-declarative')
conflicts=("${pkgname}")
options=(!strip)
source_x86_64=("$url/releases/download/v$pkgver/${pkgname}-linux-x64-v$pkgver.tar.gz"
source_aarch64=("$url/releases/download/v$pkgver/${pkgname}-linux-arm64-v$pkgver.tar.gz"

sha256sums_x86_64=('a9fc5754601ecf69fe36028a76f997701972e7e3b1de65acc9d3836aa436d05c'
sha256sums_aarch64=('0de6e26ac33cd92f6848934adfe2e768d91f82fd42af7ab405de888653738782'

package() {
	install -Dm755 "${pkgname}" "$pkgdir/usr/bin/${pkgname}"
	install -Dm644 LICENSE.md "$pkgdir/usr/share/licenses/LICENSE.md"

install -Dm644 ${pkgname}.png "$pkgdir/usr/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/apps/${pkgname}.png"
    install -Dm644 ${pkgname}.desktop "$pkgdir/usr/share/applications/${pkgname}.desktop"
    install -Dm644 ${pkgname}.desktop "$pkgdir/etc/xdg/autostart/${pkgname}.desktop"
    install -Dm644 ${pkgname}-regular.png "$pkgdir/usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/status/${pkgname}-regular.png"
    install -Dm644 ${pkgname}-news.png "$pkgdir/usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/status/${pkgname}-news.png"
}

Thanks in advance,
MO

Edit
Danke Helmut

Works like a charm ! Great app.

1 Like

First of all this app is awesome and you’ve done a great job with it :slight_smile:
and now onto my question.

I’m trying to build mntray from source following your instructions @moson

How to build

• Install go from your package manager or download it from the Golang site.
  • Install Qt bindings for Golang: go get -u -v github.com/therecipe/qt/cmd/...
  • Download this package with: go get -d github.com/moson-mo/mntray
  • Change to package dir: cd $(go env GOPATH)/src/github.com/moson-mo/mntray/
  • Set environment variable QT_PKG_CONFIG: export QT_PKG_CONFIG=true
  • Run: $(go env GOPATH)/bin/qtdeploy build desktop from the mntray directory
  • The binary will be in the deploy/linux/ dir

But I get stuck on change package directory with an error no such file or directory everything else seems to complete normally do I need to do anything with GO before this works?

My system fully updated Manjaro Stable branch. Kernel 5.10 LTS KDE plasma
oh and I installed go from the repository

if you need more info let me know :smile:

Let me see. Actually quite some time ago since I last built it :slight_smile:
I guess some stuff has changed in the meanwhile with gomodules.

Btw. I do have a successor (matray) in the pipeline, completely redeveloped in vala / Gtk.
Wanted to release since quite some time already but never made it lol (it is actually ready).