[APP] - matray - Manjaro announcements tray app (the new one)

Actually, it is a good project. I am not interested in Vala. Not today, but I can work on the same idea project in the future with different tech stacks if anyone interest.

1 Like

Again, for now, I’m just looking for a hoster for mnserver because I’m about to get rid of the machine that is currently hosting it (manjaro.moson.org).
As mentioned I’d continue basic maintenance of matray if needed.

Perfectly fine if you want to implement matray functionality in the software-center or whatever and thus replace it.
(btw. You’d still some service like mnserver that aggregates this data. Having this large number of clients consuming the rss feeds directly will make discourse go haywire)

So, in esscence: Do you want to keep matray alive (until you implement something similar) or not.

Or maybe there is some other community member that has interest in running the service. Please let me know.

Maybe, you can make a version that is not using a server?(maybe little bit slower, but it can continue to work) Thus, no need for a hoster.

Nice way to have the forum go nuts with the amount of exact same requests flooded by the tool and thousands of its users, instead of a single request that is then cleaned and redistributed to same users.

I’m dumbfounded by the will of not supporting the tool and the game of excuses finding.

When AUR had issues, I saw @philm ask AUR devs if he can provide with infrastructure, when AUR is unsupported in Manjaro. Now we have a light weight Manjaro tool, that needs limited resources on a machine (it needs bandwidth to send the feed to the tool users, basically that’s the concern), tool which had been included in ISO profiles back then, which can bring Manjaro’s forum and twitter feeds directly on people’s desktops as notifications, and you all are brainstorming wether or not blablabla, I mean, WTF.

I don’t use the tool and I don’t care, but… I’m kinda speechless.

9 Likes

The only reason I even knew this tool existed was I installed Manjaro on someone else’s computer and noticed matray, which was not in my own install. Seemed like a great idea, and I had naively assumed this was just the Manjaro team making good, incremental improvements to the OS.

Apparently not.

It IS Manjaro Team doing good, but to me this server question is kinda trivial and it seems to block somewhere. I guess it will eventually be resolved but this is something that could go quicker in my opinion.

I “use” matray everaday - whenever I login to any of my Manjaro computers (also the ARM ones) the first thing my eyes go is the package manager tray icon to see if there are any updates and then the matray if there are any news. And if I see that there are news, then it must be a new Manjaro update. That’s actually how I initially found this forum and created my account here. With matray and it’s server I am always up to date and read the news before updating my systems.

It’ll be a shame to discontinue this (imho) useful and nice feature just because there is no space and no will to host this ~230 lines of well formatted code.

2 Likes

I think the main issue with hosting this small amount of code is not the resources it’s gonna use, but more what happens if it breaks or needs to be updated.

The component is written in Go and the team has no developer that knows Go, as far as I know. So if it breaks, it will stay broken and then the server is just using resources for no reason.

As far as I read @moson wanted “just to host the server” by the Manjaro team. He will continue maintaining the code if needed. (Correct me if I’m wrong moson)

Exactly.

I’m willing to maintain the code for bugfixes and stuff (like keeping things alive). I just won’t implement bigger things like new features.

I thought I’ve mentioned that several times though :thinking: No clue how it should make it more clear. :man_shrugging:

12 Likes

Use <big> and </big>

:+1:

1 Like

Big thanks to @Weidenwiesel.
He will take over the hosting in the future…

9 Likes

Glad I could help :slight_smile:

10 Likes

@Yochanan could you push matray 1.1.4 to stable? It includes the redirection to the new server…

1 Like

Done. :package: :white_check_mark:

2 Likes

https://manjaro.news/ is down? I get “Bad Gateway” recently when matray tries to fetch news.

2 Likes

Looks like is back online. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Migration to new servers

Hey folks.
I’m, currently migrating all of my services to new servers with different IPs.
for matray: I will keep both servers active for a few days until DNS have updated for everyone.

There should be no / minimal downtime.
In case of unexpected problems, give me a holler.

(I have no idea where to properly announce this, so I’m just gonna do it here and necro this thread)

7 Likes

Quick heads-up. Server just had a fauilty SSD and my provider is replacing it. Server and thus this service will have unexpected downtime until everything is restored because I chose to take it down as a safety precaution. Reason: Server has RAID but it will take some time to re-mirror it to new disk and I don’t want any load on the server while it does that. Give it four hours max.

Update: Aaand It’s done.

3 Likes

New heads-up.
As discussed here: mnserver github, twitter has started locking down their feeds/API.
Consequently, the twitter feed in matray won’t work anymore.

Right now, we don’t plan on fixing this.

My personal opinion on this is: Screw twitter. If they want to keep worsening their services and thus loosing their userbase, let them.

3 Likes