[APP] - matray - Manjaro announcements tray app (the new one)

Exactly what I wanted to say, just now.

For my other feeds, I use Akregator. Manjaro news and announcements are in there, as well. But matray is Manjaro only. I would have used it even if there was no Akregator. It’s simple to setup and use. And more than enough for most people.

mnserver was only meant as some middleware to reduce the data being retrieved by matray.

There are several of rss reeders out there that would allow you to consume any rss feed you’d want.

1 Like

Well yeah I can think about it :wink:

I’m wondering how much sense it really makes though. If you click on it, I’d assume you’d read it immediately…

Maybe matray’s default settings should be to show only system critical announcements like that so people don’t always just get rid of it as soon as they’ve installed manjaro? :thinking:

I remember being actually horrified to see all these garbage popup notifications I didn’t want when I installed the other day and doing just that, at least.

Edit: My comment ws moved, but well, my opinion remains the same. The only thing I’d ever actually want to see are branch update announcements since they sometimes include info about things that may break with updates and how to fix them (e.g. they are critical info and a reminder of them is a good thing, the rest is just distractions/unwanted to the average user I would think, at least it is to me. News are cool and all, but if I want to know 'em, I’ll find them when i want to know 'em and not when I’m notified about them.)

There’s also no obvious way to configure it to do just that from the GUI although I did figure out how (Which was to untick literally everything except autostart and set cat based on branch)

This is a nice project though, the option to get these notifications at all without any real hassle of setting it up is handy.

It frustrates a bit with the number of notifications especially on the first run.
Maybe something like that would work better?
изображение

5 Likes

A bit off topic, but there’s that “Plasma Workspace” app title bug on your matray’s notification screenshot! I’m glad I’m not alone experiencing that little annoyance. It affects a few other but not all GTK-based apps too, so the culprit seems to be xdg-desktop-portal-kde. I’ve made a post about it a long time ago; since I’ve seen you make contributions to the KDE codebase, please do check it out.

Yepp, that makes sense I guess.
Working on it…

I leave that up to the Manjaro team to decide. They can easily add their idea of a config file to /etc/skel to override the default category selection coming with the app itself.
(I personally find the current defaults ok (which is: News / Announcements / Releases and the branch specific update channel)) :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I agree, matray is a nice app, i like it a lot, congrats to the development team involved.

Could you please tell me who is in charge of the icons please. I explain myself, on the screenshot below, whether the article is read or not, the icon is grey; look the four first at the top (with the minus) are grey and the others are also grey. Maybe we could have two colors.
I guess it depends on the theme, i use Matcha theme on XFCE, but who is he concretely ? Thanks

matray_matcha_manjaro

1 Like

As far as I know it’s set to use system theme by default. So that would be the user, aka you.

I get your point but…if i change the theme, say Breeze, this is fine, there are two different colors (whereas there are others issues with Breeze theme but not with matray).

I guess the team behind the theme decides which icons go for each application, no ?

Those icons are retrieved from the current theme.
Namely it’s those listed below (if not available in the theme it falls back to the next one…)

string[] checkIcons = { "emblem-checked", "emblem-default", "checkbox-checked-symbolic", "gtk-apply" };
string[] uncheckIcons = { "emblem-remove", "emblem-important", "checkbox-mixed-symbolic", "gtk-cancel" };
1 Like

Great, i gonna play around with this, thanks

I’ve pushed 1.1.0

Waiting for it to be packaged…

If there is someone who cannot not wait or is willing to test:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/moson-mo/matray/master/resources/misc/PKGBUILD
(I had it in AUR, but it got wiped out) :wink:

Well my original comment was in response to one of the manjaro team, they moved it here :man_shrugging:

I wanted to make a PR actually :sweat_smile: but ok you managed it on your own. There’s also a small annoyance of matray sending notifications periodically if network connection is disabled. Maybe it’s worth it to silent these kind of notifications and instead just change matray icon to something?

2 Likes

Those network error notifications can be switched off in the settings.

Hello!
Thanks for the useful app!
Would you please tell me how one can manually setup proxy connection.

Depends a bit on your environment. libproxy is being used in the background.

This might be of some help for you:

But turning them off by default would be great IMO.
Edit: i thought the option was to disable showing error regarding the network. But the option is to disable showing any errors. I really like what @LordTermor suggested. Or an option to disable only the network errors and keeping them turned off by default would be great

I agree. Disabled makes more sense as default.

Actually that is pretty much the only error that can occur and is handled with the notification :wink:

1 Like