Apg: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypt.so.1

Mostly good, but one small problem with the password generator program apg no longer working.

When trying to run it, it fails with:

apg: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypt.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Digging around, I can see from my backup system that/usr/lib/libcrypt.so.1 links to /usr/lib/libcrypt-2.33.so, both of which were provided by glibc 2.33-5.

The newly installed glibc 2.35-2 doesn’t provide any /usr/lib/libcrypt libraries. However, libxcrypt 4.4.28-2 provides libcrypt.so.2 (on both the updated system and the backup system).

My assumption is that apg probably needs rebuilding against this latest libcrypt version? Though it shows as depending on only glibc, so perhaps libxcrypt is also now package it depends on? (a degree of speculation on my part).

A workaround is to restore /usr/lib/libcrypt.so.1 and /usr/lib/libcrypt-2.33.so from the pre-upgrade backup.

❯ pacman -F libcrypt.so.1
core/libxcrypt-compat 4.4.28-2
    usr/lib/libcrypt.so.1

:wink:

heh heh…
An appropriately cryptic reply to a comment about a cryptography library.

I assume what you’re saying is “install libxcrypt-compat”? Thought I’d double-check in case I’m mis-reading :innocent:

Indeed.

Thanks.

I assume that probably ought to be a dependency for apg now?

It seems so, yes. I would add a comment on the apg AUR page to let the maintainer know.

EDIT: I just built it in a clean chroot and ran it just fine without libxcrypt-compat installed. I’m using the Manjaro unstable branch, that may make a difference in this case.

capistrano is also affected by this, which is how I discovered this thread.

Installing this from the AUR fixes the problem:
https://archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/libxcrypt-compat/

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.