Any luck with Wine/Box86?

Running KDE Plasma on a RPi4.

I’m just curious if anyone has had success with Wine or Box86. A few threads all seem to be dead-ends. I’m pretty new to this sort of thing and just know about Wine. If there are additional alternatives, I’d love to hear about them.

It’s certainly not essential, but I just want to run Dwarf Fortress (released for Windows, Mac, and Linux[obviously x86 and x64, but not for ARM]) if it’s possible.

All I know is the post here in our forum starting with this post:

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/how-to-install-box86-on-manjaro-arm64/43473/10

Hmm… I spent the last two hours trying this - which failed at the wine step (I’d guess, just out of date ubuntu image, maybe? It failed when trying to find freetype, and ncurses, despite ncurses being present for sure, and freetype should be there too.)

Part of this process might be useful, though. If I can use Ubuntu x64 or x86, rather than armhf, that’ll be enough. Pretty far out of my depths here, but I’ll see if I can figure it out.

I also found Box64 - which has been in the repositories for a couple months. Missing libraries makes it not useful, unfortunately (libraries I can’t get, such as libgtk-x11.)

What libraries? for LibGTK see this issue: Error FARA64 Linux libgtk · Issue #128 · ptitSeb/box64 · GitHub and this issue: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 - missing, but it's right there! · Issue #92 · ptitSeb/box64 · GitHub. So seems like it might work in next release of Box64.
Pretty sure others have it working.

All dependencies should be defined in the CMakeLists.txt files in the source and it will not compile if one of them is missing.

I’m not using cmake with box64 - when you say “it will not compile”, what do you mean?

For Dwarf fortress:
libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0, so this exact issue someone else had. I’ll see if I can get it working.
Also needs libgraphics.so, which I haven’t looked into yet.
(dropping the x86_64 libgtk-x11 seems to have worked, though I still need to find and drop in more libraries. I’ll keep pursuing this.)

I also tried running a different game, which said “Stack corrupted” and aborted. As this is just turning into Box64 discussion, I’ll see if I can figure it out from ptitSeb’s documentation.

EDIT: In case anyone else rolls through this thread I ultimately abandoned the effort. Searching for libraries and dropping them one-by-one got tedious, and I started to get errors related to libraries mismatching (presumably not available on the RPi).

Try This:

Open the “armbian-gaming.sh” in the text editor. This might be helpful, I successfully compiled box86 and box64 on armbian. But I am not confinced in Manjaro, because multiarch does not work on Manjaro.

Read this:

I have updated the manual on how to install Box86 by using “arm-linux-gnueabihf” Library from TwisterOS. Haven’t tried it on Manjaro. In theory that should work, because the dependencies of 32 bit is copied in the /usr/

But who knows until someone tried it.

Alright, I’ll give it a shot after the weekend.

I’ve gotten this program (Dwarf Fortress for Linux) to run on Raspberry Pis that are Debian based already, but when it comes to Manjaro it’s a bit more difficult. It could just be a library issue at this point. I’ve figured out quite a bit since when I first posted about it here.

Ok, good luck!

If the method of copying “arm-linux-gnueabihf” Library to /usr/ doesn’t work. Then as a manjaro user, probably we need to stick with the schroot method. But I can confirm that in Armbian on my H5 & RK3399 board, the library method works great without installing any armhf dependencies. But still need the multiarch, which is currently not possible in Manjaro.

I have followed instructions below:

but when I try to configure winecfg I get this error:
wine: created the configuration directory ‘/home/rpmedia/.wine’
wine: chdir to /tmp/.wine-1000/server-302-60131 : No such file or directory

Does anyone know how to fix?

is it possible to chroot to an armbian ubuntu?

Found a more recent article on how to run wine on Manjaro Arm:

2 Likes

Ran into issues running the script.

xhost +local
Bad hostname "local"

I was able to run everything else just fine. However when I try to run steam I get this message:

steam +open steam://open/minigameslist
/usr/bin/steam: line 46: xterm: command not found

I dont know how to fix this issue. Has anyone been able to run it?

local is incorrect:
xhost +localhost

To install the missing xterm:
sudo pacman -S xterm

Thank you, that seemed to work. However now Im getting another issue when trying to run steam

steam +open steam://open/minigameslist
steam.sh[4541]: Running Steam on debian 11 64-bit
steam.sh[4541]: STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled by the user
setup.sh[4604]: Updating Steam runtime environment...
Authorization required, but no authorization protocol specified
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused

(zenity:4612): Gtk-WARNING **: 21:03:26.379: cannot open display: :0.0
steam.sh[4541]: Can't find 'steam-runtime-check-requirements', continuing anyway
Box86 with Dynarec v0.2.5 a3d2443b built on Jan 30 2022 20:13:50
WARNING: setlocale('en_US.UTF-8') failed, using locale: 'C'. International characters may not work.
[2022-02-01 21:03:27] Startup - updater built Nov 22 2021 22:06:59
ILocalize::AddFile() failed to load file "public/steambootstrapper_english.txt".
Authorization required, but no authorization protocol specified
src/steamexe/updateui_xwin.cpp (338) : Could not open connection to X
src/steamexe/updateui_xwin.cpp (338) : Could not open connection to X
src/steamexe/main.cpp (849) : failed to initialize update status ui, or create initial window
src/steamexe/main.cpp (849) : failed to initialize update status ui, or create initial window
mangled@dan-pc:/$ Authorization required, but no authorization protocol specified
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused

(zenity:4657): Gtk-WARNING **: 21:03:27.319: cannot open display: :0.0

Have you run into this as well? Im trying to run this on pinebook pro.

Sorry, I do not use steam.

I figured it out. You need to run this command before entering chroot:
xhost + instead of xhost +localhost
That will enable you to connect to it from any host

Im having issue now installing wine. After running the following:

sudo ln -s ~/wine/bin/wine /usr/local/bin/wine # You could aslo just make a symlink, but box86 only works for 32bit apps at the moment
sudo ln -s ~/wine/bin/wineboot /usr/local/bin/wineboot
sudo ln -s ~/wine/bin/winecfg /usr/local/bin/winecfg
sudo ln -s ~/wine/bin/wineserver /usr/local/bin/wineserver
sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/wine /usr/local/bin/wineboot /usr/local/bin/winecfg /usr/local/bin/wineserver

I get this error:

chmod: cannot operate on dangling symlink '/usr/local/bin/wine'
chmod: cannot operate on dangling symlink '/usr/local/bin/wineboot'
chmod: cannot operate on dangling symlink '/usr/local/bin/winecfg'
chmod: cannot operate on dangling symlink '/usr/local/bin/wineserver'

I dont understand as this is the full path to the directories… is it possible that this will not work within chroot environment?

Two things!

1. I never tried box86 on manjaro, but, down the road, and probably sooner than later, wine would allow win 32 apps without box86, just box64.

2. i would never recommend steam, just get your linux steam games folders and use goldberg libraries, available at gitlab.

Are you sure?
… because: on non-ARM architecture, wine is in /usr/bin not in /usr/local/bin